News AMD Zen 3, Ryzen 4000 Release Date, Specifications, Performance, All We Know

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I have a fear that Ryzen 4000 will be the start of AMD becoming very close to Intel in pricing - esp if they dominate/tie with Intel for gaming performance. IE you might see a Ryzen 4700X priced the same as a i7 10700K/11700K, but just be better across the board. I don't want to make doomsday predictions, but...

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
No, same number of cores for Ryzen.
No need and pointless to go higher, as IO and memory would become the bottleneck in more cases.
But I welcome the IPC and perf/watt increases. Still much to improve here for years before 16 cores won't be enough.

Reactions: Makaveli

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
No, same number of cores for Ryzen.
No need and pointless to go higher, as IO and memory would become the bottleneck in more cases.
But I welcome the IPC and perf/watt increases. Still much to improve here for years before 16 cores won't be enough.

lol I am sure had we been talking about 16 cores you would have said the same sentence ... either prove it with numbers and reasoning or stop making this up from your mind.

dual channel Memory will never be a bottle neck as you said ...51.2GB/s is even enough for 64 cores. Actually even when using 4 channels memory on HEDT , the system will still work in dual channels in case you used just two sticks instead of four without any problems.

1usmus said there will be 10 cores part. I have no idea why they are doing it bringing 10 cores between 8 to 12.
I'm highly skeptical of this claim. To get to 10-core, AMD would either need to have a monolithic die (12-16 cores in a single CCX), or an asymmetrical 6+4 core split between two CCXes. Both are very unlikely.

EDIT: Nevermind. Outdated thinking. Now a dual chiplet would have two 8-core CCXes, and could thus have multiples of two. 8/10/12/14/16 are all possible. Likely? That's a different matter.

Last edited:
More bandwidth is faster for some applications but not in any ways a bottleneck that prevents making 20 or 24 cores Ryzen.
Yeah but 24 cores would need twice the TDP to run at the same clocks or it would run at half the clocks to keep the same TDP compared to 12 cores.
There is a reason why there is a different segment for server and for desktop, if AMD would sell a 24 core CPU to mainstream and it would run much slower or use up twice the power it would be a PR disaster,that's why they have threadripper, you can't blame the manufacturer for buying something that is meant for a different target group.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Yeah but 24 cores would need twice the TDP to run at the same clocks or it would run at half the clocks to keep the same TDP compared to 12 cores.
There is a reason why there is a different segment for server and for desktop, if AMD would sell a 24 core CPU to mainstream and it would run much slower or use up twice the power it would be a PR disaster,that's why they have threadripper, you can't blame the manufacturer for buying something that is meant for a different target group.

Where did you get the idea that 24 cores means twice the TDP of 12 cores ?? 8 cores Ryzen 7 3800XT , 12 cores Ryzen 9 3900XT ,16 cores Ryzen 9 3950X are all the same 105W TDP ..

We dont know if there is headroom for 20 and 24 cores under the same TDP .. we simply dont have this information.

I think if 24 cores is hard to make , 20 cores is possible.

And you are mistaken about the Threadripper , Threadripper with PCIe 4.0 was released only in 24/32/64 cores ... so they are not a competition for 20 and 24 Ryzen much.

More over it is more affordable for people to buy Ryzen with 20 and 24 cores , the motherboards are way cheaper as well .

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I would say no all those cores need bandwidth and Dual channel on AM4 would be a bottleneck.

Its not really about bottleneck. Its for of space limitation and market condition.

Unless amd does away with the chiplets and uses a monolithic die, they dont have enough space for more than 16 cores.

But the more important reason is not to eat into their threadripper as well as lack of competition from intel. There is market demand. I dont see any market demand for 20-24 core ryzen since there is threadripper already. For those who needs so many cores, i dont think the additional premium for threadripper is an issue.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Where did you get the idea that 24 cores means twice the TDP of 12 cores ?? 8 cores Ryzen 7 3800XT , 12 cores Ryzen 9 3900XT ,16 cores Ryzen 9 3950X are all the same 105W TDP ..

We dont know if there is headroom for 20 and 24 cores under the same TDP .. we simply dont have this information.

I think if 24 cores is hard to make , 20 cores is possible.

And you are mistaken about the Threadripper , Threadripper with PCIe 4.0 was released only in 24/32/64 cores ... so they are not a competition for 20 and 24 Ryzen much.

More over it is more affordable for people to buy Ryzen with 20 and 24 cores , the motherboards are way cheaper as well .

TDP isnt exactly accurate way to gauge since AMD adjusts the clockspeed and voltage to stick to the limit.

Lets say you run 8 core ryzen @ 4.2ghz 1.4v and do the same for 16 core. At 100% and no throttling, the 16 core will be close to 2x. Of course the I/O die doesnt differ much for 8 and 16 cores and doesnt consume alot of power. So it makes overall slightly less than 2x.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
1usmus said there will be 10 cores part. I have no idea why they are doing it bringing 10 cores between 8 to 12.

I guess it to reuse the chiplets that failed QC. Its common for chiplets to have failed cores. Some may have more than 2 failures. For 10 cores you can use 5+5 or 6+4.

Maybe the delay is more of yield issue. So AMD needs some way to put these chiplets to use.

A 10 core ryzen certain earns more than 2 x 4 core ones.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
TDP isnt exactly accurate way to gauge since AMD adjusts the clockspeed and voltage to stick to the limit.

Lets say you run 8 core ryzen @ 4.2ghz 1.4v and do the same for 16 core. At 100% and no throttling, the 16 core will be close to 2x. Of course the I/O die doesnt differ much for 8 and 16 cores and doesnt consume alot of power. So it makes overall slightly less than 2x.

leave overclovking behind please . This not how we talk about CPU releases.

as far I see it within the same generation , Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8Ghz and Ryzen 9 3950x 3.5Ghz

That a loss of 0.3 Ghz for every 4 cores above 12 .. if the headroom is the same , we can expect 20 cores to be clocked at 3.2 Ghz which is still amazin , and 24 cores 2.9Ghz ..

The Turbo mode will give you the same for all CPUs cos some cores will be shut down to reach 4.8 Ghz

now thats the older Gen . If Ryzen 4000 could give us 10% more frequency that is around 0.4 Ghz well that will be amazing like 12 cores 4.2 Ghz , 16 cores 3.9 Ghz and 20 cores will be 3.6Ghz and 24 cores 3.3 Ghz .. GIVEN there is a head room for that. more or less ...

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
I'm highly skeptical of this claim. To get to 10-core, AMD would either need to have a monolithic die (12-16 cores in a single CCX), or an asymmetrical 6+4 core split between two CCXes. Both are very unlikely.
"
All the information I have posted can be easily obtained from the bios that contains AGESA 1.0.8.1.
"

1usmus is the one who wrote the ryzen dram calculator and other ram stress test.
He is not exactly at the level of wccftech kind of news.
I guess will have to wait and see,
Rumors talks on October.

Edit:
He also wrote this in his twitter account :
One of the key features of Zen 3 will be the "Curve Optimizer" , which allows you to configure the boost of the Ryzen processor. In addition, you will be able to customize the frequency for each core without any restrictions.

Last edited:

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Admit it, what we want is 4096 cores, 2048-bit bus, 256-channel memory, 4 PB memory, 16 EB multi-path organic neo-NVMe storage, 16 Tbps networking, 1 Tbps wireless, 1024-qbit Quantum AI module all in an EMP resistant 0.5 mW TDP small coin-sized injected in your skull with 512 nano-fiber based connectors to the neo-cortex and other main brain centers with DBMA (Direct Brain Memory Access).

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
leave overclovking behind please . This not how we talk about CPU releases.

as far I see it within the same generation , Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8Ghz and Ryzen 9 3950x 3.5Ghz

That a loss of 0.3 Ghz for every 4 cores above 12 .. if the headroom is the same , we can expect 20 cores to be clocked at 3.2 Ghz which is still amazin , and 24 cores 2.9Ghz ..

The Turbo mode will give you the same for all CPUs cos some cores will be shut down to reach 4.8 Ghz

now thats the older Gen . If Ryzen 4000 could give us 10% more frequency that is around 0.4 Ghz well that will be amazing like 12 cores 4.2 Ghz , 16 cores 3.9 Ghz and 20 cores will be 3.6Ghz and 24 cores 3.3 Ghz .. GIVEN there is a head room for that. more or less ...

Lol, no no...I am not talking about overclocking. A 16 core CPU running at same clockspeed and voltage as a 8 core will use around 2x the power 100% load.

Btw, its not about dropping clockspeed to get more cores.... ITs about keeping the power consumption within the TDP limit, eg. 65W, 105W or 125W. etc...

Eg. for your 24 core cpu @ 2.9GHz.... will it be within your TDP limit (eg. its 105W)? If yes, good, if not. Then you may need to reduce voltage further. But CPU may not be stable. So may need to reduce to 2.7-2.8GHz. But reducing clockspeed = performance drop. So you can't drop clockspeed too much. Then you may want to increase TDP to 125W or more. But, increasing TDP means increase cost for OEM. Their boards need to cater for additional power requirements. PSU also need higher capacity. Cooling too.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
51GB/s memory bandwidth for dual channels is more than enough for 20 and 24 cores .. HEDT systems with Quad channels work in two channels mode without any problems ..
Yep - and there is more ram bandwidth on the way.
Further, we now see the cpu treating nvme (soon to be ~7GB/s) more like ram than storage, further supplementing total bandwidth.