News AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 Release Date, Specifications, Performance, All We Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Its not common for a generation to leapfrog the product range from value option to market leading option. If all the claims are true and Intel cannot currently outperform AMD in any aspect then you can charge a market leading price.
Sure at the top of the heap you're free to charge a halo tax. AMD can charge whatever they feel like for the 5950x. Intel has no answer for that, but through the rest of the stack you expect more performance for you dollar vs last generation.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
AMD is able to provide the same performance as Until, while consuming less power, and no need for a new socket (how many new sockets in the last 5 years has Until introduced?), and so no need for a new motherboard, cooler, or other things - they have pretty much the same power profile. Who knows, I might be able to install one of these into my X370 motherboard within the next 6 months (I dough it, yet I can always hold on to a false hope).

If you want the best you can purchase it starting November 5, of this year. And you can not expect Until's Rocket Lake until March of next year - at the earliest, and since it requires more power to do less, even with PCIe gen 4, I don't expect much - maybe a big (14 nm) SMALL (10mn) hybird?

Pricing. So, would you be willing to spend 2X+ as much for just a .8 improvement? That is what you get going from nVidia's RTX 3080 to RTX 3090. The Ryzen 5 5600X is a 20% price increase for a 19% performance improvement - the only one where it closely matches up. For the 9 5950X it is like a 6.7% (.067) price hike for a 19% (.19) improvement. Remind me, doesn't Until increase the price with each new generation?

I will upgrade my current CPU to something like a Zen 2 Ryzen 9 3900, and then in a couple years build a new AMD with a AM5 socket and Zen 4 or 5 chipset. This is great, Until finally has a true challenge.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Pricing. So, would you be willing to spend 2X+ as much for just a .8 improvement? That is what you get going from nVidia's RTX 3080 to RTX 3090. The Ryzen 5 5600X is a 20% price increase for a 19% performance improvement - the only one where it closely matches up. For the 9 5950X it is like a 6.7% (.067) price hike for a 19% (.19) improvement. Remind me, doesn't Until increase the price with each new generation?
Come on man. I'm not talking about price scaling within the stack. I'm talking about price/performance vs current competition/last generation. An RTX 3090 is about 40% cheaper than the outgoing Titan RTX while performing about 40% better in games, with much better scaling in computational apps. That is a massive price/performance improvement from last generation. In order for the 5950X to duplicate the same improvement vs the outgoing $750 3950x, the 5950x would have to be under $375, not the $800 AMD is charging.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
@spongiemaster You address the first part of the paragraph, yet neglect the second part. Ok, you can't have nVidia's generational leap from RTX Titan to RTX 3090 and the reduced price (suggesting that it may of been overpriced to begin with?) with the current AMD RyZens, yet going from the FX 8### or 9### (Bulldozer line of chips) to the RyZen you got it. So, what about the second part of the paragraph where I show you are getting more than your money's worth for an extra $50, unless we are talking about the 5600X where you break even?

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Intel enthusiasts: "Intel charges premium prices for a premium gaming product that I will happily pay even that's the only metric they excel in!"
Also Intel enthusiasts: "No one will ever buy these new 'superior in every single metric' 5000 series ryzens, they're too expensive, now that pricing is close to Intels!"

I guess this will be the launch where AMD goes bankrupt. Quick! sell off the stocks!

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Intel enthusiasts: "Intel charges premium prices for a premium gaming product that I will happily pay even that's the only metric they excel in!"
Also Intel enthusiasts: "No one will ever buy these new 'superior in every single metric' 5000 series ryzens, they're too expensive, now that pricing is close to Intels!"

I guess this will be the launch where AMD goes bankrupt. Quick! sell off the stocks!
No one here has said Ryzen 5000 won't sell, and most of the people here lamenting the price are current AMD users looking to upgrade, not Intel trolls.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
No one here has said Ryzen 5000 won't sell, and most of the people here lamenting the price are current AMD users looking to upgrade, not Intel trolls.

Not really, the world is bigger than this thread, it has become a ubiquitous comment across forums, and its mostly Intel enthusiasts doing the talking, if you want to count posts on the discussion and posts that continuously steer the conversation continuously toward this complaint. In this thread most AMD enthusiasts were not lamenting the price, interestingly enough.

-------

Reality check:
The 5950x is only 6.5% more expensive than the 3950x, so its not like its a 20% hike across the board.

Those people needing to squeeze their budget, will have lower end skus presented to them at some point soon, and the massively touted 3rd gen ryzen will drop a bit further in price increase value for those that need the extreme value option - over and above they extreme value they brought compared to the competition.

So continuing to present this new gen as "quite disappointing" is a bit interesting. We have 20% more performance and have 6.5-20% more cost, sku dependent, no new mobo or chipsets to have to buy into, so that means value has increased in all but one presented sku where it remained the same. AMD already presented great value for performance so being the "same" in a worst case scenario is still great value, and still a lot better than any of their competition. The rest of the new skus have increased in value vs performance ratio.

If you want bang for buck, its still AMD. If you want best value, its still AMD. If you want the best of multi-threaded performance, still AMD by a long shot. Best single threaded performance, now its undebatably AMD. Best gaming, now also AMD (to be verified by 3rd parties). Best thermals (TBD for zen3), AMD. Best power consumption, likely still AMD. Best platform longevity, still AMD.

I'm not sure what "AMD enthusiasts" have to complain about, but I guess certain people will ignore all the above facts and still complain because that's their outlook on life, or others just want to find something to complain about - by way of some other unmentioned motivation. Prices go up; when you are the performance leader in every metric you can charge a bit more, and AMD still hasn't even exceeded Intel's pricing per performance.

The dollar today isn't worth as much as it was two years ago, manufacturing materials costs goes up and product pricing does. The only reason why Intel has had room to lower their pricing is because their products were so massively overpriced to begin with (when Ryzen launched), due to the lack of competition at all from AMD for many years. When AMD is charging a massive premium over its competitor, and only exceeding it in one single metric, that is when it would be justified to start complaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: barryv88

The 10900k will still run higher all core clocks and will still win in a lot of games,especially after overclock.
5000 series will still be a great deal but so will 10th gen.

Also the 10900k is tied and even a tiny bit faster than the 3900x in CPU benches, gaming is not the only metric intel excels in.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-10500k-10900k&num=10

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Told you so. AMD ain't no saint. AMD never started a price war with Intel nor did they with nVidia. They just wish they can price gouge as hard as Intel and nVidia, and they been wishing for a long time. AMD is no friend to gamers. The rather let intel get away with bloody murder so when it is their turn they can do the same.

You knew the moment AMD can claim the performance crown they will become just like Intel. The tried price gouging people with the Ryzen 7 1800 almost 4 years ago and people called them out for their BS. The answer is NOT always just "moar cores".

Now they can probably say they have performance wins across the board against Intel and they think that justifies to price gouge even harder than intel. So, NO, you won't get your price/performance improvements.

I always told people to set a budget and do NOT gimp your GPU by going cheap on the CPU especially if your spending over $500 on your GPU. Single thread, high fps 1080p performance matters, even if it is not daily use case.

Last edited:

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
... Prices go up; when you are the performance leader in every metric you can charge a bit more, and AMD still hasn't even exceeded Intel's pricing per performance.

I do NOT understand this kind of thinking. Why should people just bend over. People didn't like bending over for Intel and there is no reason should want to do this for AMD.

It used to be that got 2x the performance at 1/2 the price with every generational progress. I don't give a rat's a$$ that Moore's law is dead now, I want to pay less and get more. What is so f!ing wrong about that!?

Seriously, the 8086 was about $360 back in 1980, see:https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/classics-rock/intels-8086-passes-the-big-3-0/

And every increment improve should get an matching incremental price bump, guess what a 4 Ghz 8 core cpu now should be about 32000x good old 8086. So the performance bump is worth even $1, then you should be happy to pay $32000 for your latest CPU.

How about a NO, and hell NO! Cheapskate and Proud!

Last edited:
Reactions: BogdanH

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I do NOT understand this kind of thinking. Why should people just bend over. People didn't like bending over for Intel and there is no reason should want to do this for AMD. [etc etc bitching about CPU prices]

LOL.
  • It's worth what the market will pay.
  • Executives will be fired if they don't charge what they can get.
  • Absent a monopoly (thank god for AMD) the price is by definition "fair".
  • The investments needed to provide these products is immense.
  • You're getting unbelievable technology for those $$.
  • Count yourself lucky.
Nobody is going to sell you a supercomputer for $100.

Last edited:
They shouldn't cost as much as they do.
IMHO its fine.
is it more costly? yes.
HOWEVER you arent getting intel's "no other option" highway robbery (even the top end isnt as bad as intels has been and amd is ONLY reason they had to come down liek they did)

also fact that...they are effectively cheaper due to using same MB ppl may already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.