News AMD Zen 4-Based Laptops Feature New Orange Ryzen Stickers

InvalidError

Titan
AMD screwing around with model numbering schemes again. I absolutely despise when companies re-brand old stuff into new-gen-looking model numbers. Pick one digit to consistently represent generation across the entire product numbering scheme's lifespan and stick to it, don't pull that BS where the leftmost digit represents generation for 3-4 years and then randomly decide it doesn't anymore. If I was shopping for a new laptop, that would make me want to skip the entire generation and wait for the next, hopefully clean slate.

AMD screwing around with model numbering schemes again. I absolutely despise when companies re-brand old stuff into new-gen-looking model numbers. Pick one digit to consistently represent generation across the entire product numbering scheme's lifespan and stick to it, don't pull that BS where the leftmost digit represents generation for 3-4 years and then randomly decide it doesn't anymore. If I was shopping for a new laptop, that would make me want to skip the entire generation and wait for the next, hopefully clean slate.
Quite the contrary. They're aligning it to how they brand the Radeon GPUs now.

If you take a look at the Radeon logo in notebooks, it's the same style, except the inner colour is red.

And to be fair to AMD, while the numbering seems out of whack, is anything but as it has a very good explanation. Unlike Intel's.

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
Quite the contrary. They're aligning it to how they brand the Radeon GPUs now.

If you take a look at the Radeon logo in notebooks, it's the same style, except the inner colour is red.
My comment had nothing to do with sticker color, it was about how AMD decided to redefine the first digit from product generation to product year and put the family generation at the 3rd position instead. So now you could have a Zen 2 CPU branded as a Ryzen 7620.

My comment had nothing to do with sticker color, it was about how AMD decided to redefine the first digit from product generation to product year and put the family generation at the 3rd position instead. So now you could have a Zen 2 CPU branded as a Ryzen 7620.
And it'll be clear in the name it's such a part, yes.

Regards.

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I believe Zen 3+ Rembrandt SoC die contains DDR4 memory controller, but the CLA with Intel forced AMD to wait for two years to implement it on AM4 socket motherboard.

Last edited:
Depends on what - a Zen 2 core is smaller than later iterations and has few drawbacks compared to Zen 3 when in a quad core. So, for Athlon and low power R3 processors, it's actually quite good.
Same for Zen 3 compared to Zen 4, you may not want AVX512 taking up power and die size on a R5 U chip.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

Blame the Retail Vendors, they don't want to sell older products that have older numbering.

If you plan on selling older products, then the best way is to include them in the same Portfolio Year (Basically aligning it with DeskTop CPU Iteration).

So everybody has a 7000 series CPU to sell.

When Zen 5 hits, the DeskTop numbering scheme will iterate to 8000.

Then the LapTop Portfolio will iterate to 8000.

And it'll be clear in the name it's such a part, yes.

Regards.
AMD has a very descriptive naming scheme, but unless you know what it means it can be misleading and we're already seeing that. The 7735HS vs 7640HS is a great example of this where the latter is likely the better choice across the board, but the name would imply otherwise. If AMD keeps doing 3+ generations of CPU and GPU for their mobile SKUs this is just going to get worse.

And a Ryzen 8620 will appear to be better than a 7640. Year-model doesn't mean anything for CPUs, architectural generation does. Thankfully us enthusiasts can know better than before, but ordinary folks will be misled by the numbering scheme.
Yes, you may be right, but at least AMD does provide a clear guidance on what those mean so it can be explained to consumers at the selling point.

AMD has a very descriptive naming scheme, but unless you know what it means it can be misleading and we're already seeing that. The 7735HS vs 7640HS is a great example of this where the latter is likely the better choice across the board, but the name would imply otherwise. If AMD keeps doing 3+ generations of CPU and GPU for their mobile SKUs this is just going to get worse.
The "unless you know what it means" is not too terribly hard to fix/solve: they just need the same table as shown in their slides also in the aisle where they have the notebooks explaining what the model means. Worst case scenario they can train staff about it and/or have more of those wheels they handed over to the press when they announced the naming change.

I don't like to "white knight" ignorance when I can avoid it and while it is valid to advocate for a clear naming convention, I do believe AMD has one that gives a lot of information right of the bat to the consumer. The rest is for consumers to inform themselves a tad better and for AMD to help them find the information they need easily.

Regards.