News AMD Zen 4 'Raphael' CPUs to Have Better Thermal, Power Management: Report

A part of Tctl is a new improved feature called CUR_TEMP (current temperature), where Raphael's implementation got an overhaul. With previous Ryzen generations, the CUR_TEMP output was jittery and caused random fan spin-up in a non-consistent way. With Raphael, the CUR_TEMP part was re-worked to output a smoother curve and provide fans with clearer signals about the temperature, resulting in a more normal fan operation and possibly lower noise.
I'd rather prefer hardware give me the raw values as much as possible and have the software taking these as inputs figure out how to best interpret the data rather than "adjusted" values that's been pre-caclulated.

At the very least I hope that this is just another output that can be used rather than replacing the primary sensor output.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
This has plagued AMD for a decade +(trying to remember how bad phenoms and athlons before but been a while and my memory isnt as sharp as it once was!). It was one of those things that I assumed would be corrected generationally but the same results over again instead. I will say it always gave me a good chuckle when novices bragged of their sub-ambient temperatures during the FX run. It was amazing that there were no red flags of a cpu running at 14c in a room that was 78f.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I'd rather prefer hardware give me the raw values as much as possible and have the software taking these as inputs figure out how to best interpret the data rather than "adjusted" values that's been pre-caclulated.

At the very least I hope that this is just another output that can be used rather than replacing the primary sensor output.
Oh I'd hope they'd at least have retained the raw values somewhere. They are fixing problems with naïve fan speed control that really shouldn't have been there to begin with, but similar filtered values for thermal output already existed in at least the latest Ryzen mobile APUs, and could be found with tools like HWiNFO.