Question amd

marcoos

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
hi i have got a AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-Core Processor - 2.60 GHz iinow its old but im having a problem with it every time i use prime95 on it turns the compuer off or if i put it under pressure it does the same i have noticed if i start pime95 the fan kicks in then the it shuts down any ideas?thanks

Your CPU is overheating. Why are you trying to stress it with Prime95? That won't help. You may need to simple install thermal paste on the CPU/Cooler again. The CPU is old so chances are the thermal paste has degraded so much it's not working right. Could also be the cooler itself. Have you ensured the fans are spinning as they should.

The CPU is shutting down to protect itself from overheating.

Its possible that it could also be a failing PSU. Given any time you try anything demanding it shuts down. So PSU is something to look at too.

List your full PC specs.

marcoos

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
ok mate thanks for your reply i have got paste on the chip still doesnt help yes with the cooler fan what happens is ive tried using a game emulator when it starts up the fans seem to get louder and the temps go up if thats any help