AMDR290X Overheat need solution

Omar Khalid

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
So i have been using the AMDR290X 4GB Video card for a while now and today i have noticed a weird smell of something burning and it turn out that its the Video card! note i was playing Call of duty ghosts during that time

Good news is it didnt burn out the pc kept running fine

Bad news is i have no Idea how to cool my video card at all, i even found a new version of my video card with 3 fans on top and i dont think that would solve the problem

i keep my Room COLD i mean it gets too cold i start to shake but my video card continue to overheat to 90c and at 50c at normal times which doesn't make sense at all.

should i remove my pc case and install everything inside a Fridge? any ideas would be nice

Solution
G

You can increase its speed using a program called SpeedFan, or another program called MSI Afterburner, there are other programs too, but please, be careful!
G

I have seen a few complaints about the R9 290 overheating.

Install GPUz and go to the "Sensors" tab, then see if the Fan Speed (%) is 100%

By the way, the R9 290 can stay safe up to 95C, so the burning smell you have smelt might be a paper or a small object being burned by the heat of the GPU but not the GPU itself.

G

If you don't want your GPU to overheat, then it should be at 100%

G

You can increase its speed using a program called SpeedFan, or another program called MSI Afterburner, there are other programs too, but please, be careful!

Solution
G

It wont harm your PC if you have a good Power Supply Unit. How much are the temps now?

your fridge wouldn't work anyway... fridges can only cool 70W or so of power... your system is hundreds of Watts of power use and heat. the motor on the compressor would burn out under that type of strain (can you tell i'm an old hat at alternative cooler?)

That said, the r9-290 is designed to run at 95C... so technically it's not overheating.

EXACTLY which R9 290 is it?
The reference cooler with its single fan: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_290X_OC/ runs notoriously hot, even when new, it's not going to tolerate any dust build up so if your case fans are not filtered I'd give the card a clean out using a can of compressed gas-just ask at a computer store for it, they'll know what you need.
Use the gas to blow in through the exhaust of the cooler and a cotton bud to clean the fan blades.

Omar Khalid

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

Omar Khalid

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
coozie7 my pc is Dust free, there is no dust inside , actually once i got my pc from the shop the video card sound was too loud so i reduced the fan speed ever since it never goes loud but the temp went up, i cant focus and play while my pc sound going too loud feels like the pc will just explode at any second lol

Neither of those links are working for me now, but the top one shows a closed loop unit which will only cool the GPU itself, you MUST install cooling for the memory and the voltage regulators (VRM) with this type of cooler or you'll fry the card.
If you're going to swap coolers this might be the better option: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,review-32828.html look at page 3, second photo from the bottom, see those finned parts to the right of the row of circular capacitors? They're for the VRMs, without those coolers the card will die, in a matter of minuets.