News AMD's 16-Core Ryzen 7000 CPU Hits 5.5 GHz On Several Threads In Gaming Demo

According to Hallock, the 16-core Zen 4 processor, which should be the Ryzen 9 7950X, operated at the peak boost clock speed of 5.5 GHz on several threads without any overclocking or sub-ambient coolers. The chip was running completely stock and boosting up to 5.5 GHz naturally.

actually extremely impressive given they claim a 280mm aio with as low power consumption as they claim (sub 200).

so far (cept requiring ddr5) zen4 seems to not have downsides compared to Intel (which is bad as we dont want 1 side be entirely best as drives prices up)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
so far (cept requiring ddr5) zen4 seems to not have downsides compared to Intel (which is bad as we dont want 1 side be entirely best as drives prices up)
Interesting take considering Intel hasn't announced anything official yet about Raptor Lake. If you know something the rest of us don't, please share. It's possible RL may launch before Zen4, so this isn't a case of sit around and wait 6 months after AMD for Intel's response.

Apr 1, 2020
While all this sounds well and good, if AMD is right about Zen 4 being 15% faster than Zen 3 -per thread-, not per clock, and it can boost 10% higher than Zen 3, then actual IPC gains could be very small, nothing like the gains AMD made between each Zen generation, and much more akin to the refresh of Zen to Zen+. In this case it would be, to me, very disappointing, and combined with the high prices of DDR5 and the requirement of a new motherboard investment, could result in a recommendation from most, if not all, of the reputable review sites of waiting until next year if not skipping it completely.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
While all this sounds well and good, if AMD is right about Zen 4 being 15% faster than Zen 3 -per thread-, not per clock, and it can boost 10% higher than Zen 3, then actual IPC gains could be very small, nothing like the gains AMD made between each Zen generation, and much more akin to the refresh of Zen to Zen+. In this case it would be, to me, very disappointing, and combined with the high prices of DDR5 and the requirement of a new motherboard investment, could result in a recommendation from most, if not all, of the reputable review sites of waiting until next year if not skipping it completely.

Yes, the IPC gain will be very small this time. However, IPC isn't the only thing that will boost performance. The main problem with Ryzen for a long time is clockspeed. Zen3 made improvements but 5GHz is still impossible. Even 4.7-4.8GHz on all cores is difficulty on 5950x (requires alot of voltage as well).

So, this time round, AMD improve the chip and together with better proces nodes allows the clocks to go much higher without the power. This itself is a huge boost and a winner.

Giant salt shaker,
all cores doesn't mean all cores at the same time, we could be talking about a 10% increase in single thread turbo clock compared to the 5Ghz max turbo of zen 3 which would be pretty much in line with what we know, also the 12900k is not overclocked either because intel changed the meaning of overclocked and AMD might have done the same here.

Wait for final benchmarks, as always.

Reactions: KyaraM
Interesting take considering Intel hasn't announced anything official yet about Raptor Lake.
we've seen intel's 12th gen as their approach...pump more PWR and to heck with thermals.
no reason to assume they changed that given how much they invested into their new cpu design (big & little cores)

also the 12900k is not overclocked either because intel changed the meaning of overclocked and AMD might have done the same here.
amd already said the test system was stock settings.
no thermals shown, but 5.5 on a Asetek 280 aio (you know the ones that havent improved in yrs and are some of worst) is still good as u aint doing that with a 12900k hitting 5.5

Reactions: gg83

KyaraM

Admirable
we've seen intel's 12th gen as their approach...pump more PWR and to heck with thermals.
no reason to assume they changed that given how much they invested into their new cpu design (big & little cores)

no thermals shown, but 5.5 on a Asetek 280 aio (you know the ones that havent improved in yrs and are some of worst) is still good as u aint doing that with a 12900k hitting 5.5
With the difference being that the 12900K is overclocked in that szenario and running outside specs...

Yes, the 12900k systems are also all "stock settings"
is still good as u aint doing that with a 12900k hitting 5.5
Yeah, intel limits clocks to 5ghz because reviewers will run avx512 on zen4 and then ask themselves why they don't get 5.5Ghz , while the intel CPU will get the advertised clocks even on avx as long as you deal with heat and power.

On a game it's very possible if you unlock the 5.2 max setting (use MCE) ,I don't know this tokyo game but it could be the lightest threads ever in the history of gaming threads so you could get high clocks with little effort.
Intel wouldn't be able to reach that on avx or something heavy but on a light game it wouldn't be an issue but typically yes, it would be overclock.

Reactions: KyaraM

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
One of the new features of Raptor Lake is a digital line voltage regulator which supposedly will reduce power usage.

Intel Raptor Lake's Digital Linear Voltage Regulator (DLVR) could reduce CPU power up to 25% - VideoCardz.com

This is a legitimate reason to believe they did change things for the better with Raptor Lake. While Intel has announced this feature, they have not officially unveiled Raptor Lake and made any performance/efficiency claims to this point. So again, you stating AMD is better in every way compared to Intel's contender is based on nothing.

KyaraM

Admirable
One of the new features of Raptor Lake is a digital line voltage regulator which supposedly will reduce power usage.

Intel Raptor Lake's Digital Linear Voltage Regulator (DLVR) could reduce CPU power up to 25% - VideoCardz.com

This is a legitimate reason to believe they did change things for the better with Raptor Lake. While Intel has announced this feature, they have not officially unveiled Raptor Lake and made any performance/efficiency claims to this point. So again, you stating AMD is better in every way compared to Intel's contender is based on nothing.
Thank you for the info, I heard about this but couldn't find where I did anymore.

If this really works as stated, then that would be a huge increase in efficiency for Intel. For example, if the 13900K, for example, had the same maximum power draw as the 12900K of ca. 240W, and the 25% figure holds true, that would easily bring Raptor Lake down to the level as Raphael and essentially silence. Very interesting concept. Let's see how it works out in the end, though there might be a chance it will only come with gen 14th iirc.

As with everything lets wait till we can see actual reviews.

Same with Intel's DLVR if it gets implemented for 13th gen. Although theres something about the word "protector" in the slides that initially smell more like a safety feature.
In any case theres no doubt intel want use anything they have to keep power consumption as low as posible, every tech company does, and around 20~25% power consumption drop is huge (a little unrealistic if you ask me, but I may be wrong).

KyaraM

Admirable
As with everything lets wait till we can see actual reviews.

Same with Intel's DLVR if it gets implemented for 13th gen. Although theres something about the word "protector" in the slides that initially smell more like a safety feature.
In any case theres no doubt intel want use anything they have to keep power consumption as low as posible, every tech company does, and around 20~25% power consumption drop is huge (a little unrealistic if you ask me, but I may be wrong).
Considering that undervolting my 12700K with an offset of -0.135 drops power draw by ca. 30W from 190W to 160W maximum draw with no performance loss, I don't feel it is honestly. This sounds quite similar to me, just automatic vs manually. A 20% power draw reduction would be 38W lower consumption.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
It looks to me that AMD is focusing on new technology (PCIe5, DDR5, chiplets, new socket) and unlocking the potential of what they already have (high clocks, RDNA2) for the first-gen AM5. To add all that with an increase in IPC could be a task too big to handle.

I view this launch as the first Zen: they're starting something new, it may not be perfect but it's pretty good for the leap. The next generations will bring better performance, refinement and value, but they got to start somewhere.

Won't matter for peoples perception, reviews will still use a power virus with power limits lifted and the power numbers will still show up as the maximum power limit that the arc can handle without blowing up.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Won't matter for peoples perception, reviews will still use a power virus with power limits lifted and the power numbers will still show up as the maximum power limit that the arc can handle without blowing up.
It will matter for power usage measurements with regular applications or gaming. Who knows if power usage will be any lower for the desktop CPU's. Typically when new components use less power, all the gain is used up by increasing performance instead so efficiency improves but power usage doesn't.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS