News AMD's $299 5600X Spotted Flying Past All Intel CPUs in Single-Threaded Performance

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If that PassMark result is accurate and representative, note that the RAM it was tested with was 3200 CL16. I am anxious to see the aggregate results accumulate for the entire 5900X 5000X series in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Wow, thats about a 10% increase over the fastest intel cpu.

Anyways 1 benchmark does not tell the whole story. Then again now that I think about it is two benchmarks, CB and Passmark. Can't wait to read and watch all the reviews!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
First time I've been excited for a CPU release since the first hex core for mainstream consumption. Can't wait to get my hands on a 5900X. Here is to hoping Big Navi is as big as the 3080. If so then AMD will be sitting pretty for while. I haven't dipped my toe in the red AMD/Radeon pool since 2009.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
First time I've been excited for a CPU release since the first hex core for mainstream consumption. Can't wait to get my hands on a 5900X. Here is to hoping Big Navi is as big as the 3080. If so then AMD will be sitting pretty for while. I haven't dipped my toe in the red AMD/Radeon pool since 2009.
Ryzen is pretty mature now, and should be fine. Not really the case on the GPU side. The hardware usually hasn't been too bad on the AMD side, outside of efficiency, it's the drivers that always tank its appeal. Even with the most recent 5700XT, it took AMD a year to release a major bug fix driver which still didn't quash major issues for everyone. Until AMD can demonstrate an acceptable track record of reliable drivers, I will continue to avoid their cards.

Ryzen is pretty mature now, and should be fine. Not really the case on the GPU side. The hardware usually hasn't been too bad on the AMD side, outside of efficiency, it's the drivers that always tank its appeal. Even with the most recent 5700XT, it took AMD a year to release a major bug fix driver which still didn't quash major issues for everyone. Until AMD can demonstrate an acceptable track record of reliable drivers, I will continue to avoid their cards.

Its also true that many RX 5000 series GPU users never had any issues with thier own cards. But yeah there were "lots" of people reporting the problems.

Reactions: King_V
I just hope they have produced enough supply initially that at least we have a chance at getting one instead of getting beaten by bots. All these e-tailers should be limiting CPUs to 1 per address & have back-order queues as well.

The "unprecedented demand" quote is so over-used. All of the CPU/GPU mfgs have seen the demand spike since March onward. Even when factory output was basically back up to full production, they still were using that trite phrase. Nividia knew absolutely well that demand was going to be "unprecedented" given that every release before was the same, and actual demand now is even higher than past new releases. You know none of their internal analysts were saying "oh, we can get by with the same levels as our past releases." No, I'm sure their internal analysts were shouting "look, it's going to a much bigger demand than even past releases! We are going to need a lot more!" They should have been producing 3080s even before July.

Sure, they love the publicity & marketing of the "unprecedented demand," and they love to instill the "gotta have it" desire in everyone. A bit of artificial shortage also helps with that (not saying that is the whole case here). But I wish for once they would say "look, we only have the capacity to make x number of GPUs per month, and we didn't get more capacity online before actual production. So for that, we're sorry. We should have purchased more Samsung/TSMC capacity well before, but we wanted to get our new products out bfore the release of the PS5/XSX so people would buy our $699 GPU instead of the $499 console" (if they only could buy one). Now that would be more truth in advertising!

Now, I know there is no way AMD got enough TSMC capacity to supply both new GPUs and new CPUs to all who are ready to buy. But I sure hope they got enough made to give at least some of us a chance to beat the scalper bots!

Between all of the new stuff AMD has on TSMC's 7nm process, I'd expect everything to be on relatively short supply for the next many months, hence the price hikes on CPUs to cash in on the wafer crunch.

TSMC has so much going on for them right now. Just GPU/CPU production for consoles alone is huge, never mind the standalone CPUs/GPUs for AMD. I wish I had money to buy their stock & AMD earlier this year. I could have retired early! :)

I could write a long analysis of this but really really, only one word is needed:
6ce2bedcfd421ca2add5b1b55a868146.jpeg

GeekyOne

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I pretty much expected this as the 5600X smokes all the 3000X/XT processors in single core benchmarks if the 19% IPC improvement was to be accurate.
I had been looking at the 3700X for my next build, but since there is no 5700X and the huge price jump to 5800X plus an additional $50 for a cooler means I've started considering the 5600X. I just don't know how important multi-core performance is for productivity tasks such as office applications and web and mobile software development. I'm pretty sure the loss of 2 cores hurts as the Cinemark multi-core shows the 5600X behind the 3700X, but waiting to see the productivity benchmarks. With a cool and quiet build in mind, I actually wouldn't mind if they lowered the price even more on a Ryzen 3 chip with 65 W TDP by un-bundling the cooler since AIO liquid coolers are as cheap as $50 now. The only thing this non-gamer could ask for would be an integrated GPU, like a 5700G?

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014

We'll see. Word is the drivers have been matured via feedback over the last few weeks with constant updates.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
We'll see. Word is the drivers have been matured via feedback over the last few weeks with constant updates.
I've been hearing that since 2005 so I'll believe it when I see it. Chipset raid drivers are in the same boat. A configuration nightmare compared to Intel rst.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Shown 5600x cpu single threaded 3495 vs my 9600k 5.0 ghz OC 3216 for an 8.67% lead. There was no info on: computer specs, cooling used, room temps for the posted run, if it was AMD sponsored run or if it was the top "golden" performing 5600x selected from a large sample of chips.

My current room temp is 76ºF.

Last edited:

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Did anyone notice the comparison graph specifically indicated '10900K@3.x GHz'...

(I'd be more convinced/enthusiastic if it had said '@5.3 GHz'...; in any event, we should no more in two weeks...!)
See my 9600K 5.0ghz OC run of single threaded run of 3216 for comparison which outperformed the average of 2415 samples in the Passmark universe for 9600Ks of 2789 by 15.3%.

The 10900k average in the chart was of 368 samples including some OC and lots of non-OC.

Last edited:
I had been looking at the 3700X for my next build, but since there is no 5700X and the huge price jump to 5800X plus an additional $50 for a cooler means I've started considering the 5600X.
They likely won't have a Ryzen 7 5700(X/XT), because it would probably cause confusion when people search for the RX 5700XT. If you really want an 8c16t CPU, wait for prices to drop on the 5800X when supply is being met in 3-6 months. AMD will most certainly be dropping the price in the next 3 months after release and when Intel release the Core i 12000 line next year in around 5-6 months.

I agree with you. Drivers are every bit as important as the device they drive because the fastest video card in the world is useless if it's unstable.

You think that is any consolation to the numerous people who were/are having problems?

Its not a consolation but its fair to tell the whole story. A friend of mine who is also a PC technician have had lots of AMD gpus, never had any issues with the drivers or the GPUs itself. Many times human error gets counted as a driver issue, I have seen this many, many times.

I do agree since day one, that AMD had issues with the drivers for the RX 5000 series, and yes they took a long, long time to fix it, even today some a few games are still having some strange behaviors.

And nvidia also have freaking strange issues with games too (I had some of them with my RTX 2070), it just that sometimes they dont get to the front page.

Reactions: Bamda

InvalidError

Titan
Its also true that many RX 5000 series GPU users never had any issues with thier own cards. But yeah there were "lots" of people reporting the problems.
If you keep in mind that AFRs for most computer components are in the neighborhood of 2% under normal use, it does not take that many failures before qualifying as 'lots' even by the manufacturers' standards for warranty liabilities.

They likely won't have a Ryzen 7 5700(X/XT), because it would probably cause confusion when people search for the RX 5700XT. If you really want an 8c16t CPU, wait for prices to drop on the 5800X when supply is being met in 3-6 months. AMD will most certainly be dropping the price in the next 3 months after release and when Intel release the Core i 12000 line next year in around 5-6 months.
That's an interesting point about the similar product names, though I'm quite sure they will put out a more value-oriented 8-core offering by early next year, likely for under $350. There's a $150 price gap between the Ryzen 5600X and 5800X after all, and Intel's current processors with similar thread counts are priced in the $325-$375 range. The 5800X may be faster all-around, perhaps even offering better all-around performance than a 10-core i9-9900K, but Intel still has greater brand recognition that's going to make many unwilling to pay more for a similar thread count. And of course, early next year they will be competing with Rocket Lake, and might not be able to charge a significant premium over those processors.

Also, you seem to be forgetting about the Radeon RX 5600 XT. AMD had no problem putting out a similarly-named Ryzen 5600X, so they should likewise have no problem putting out a Ryzen 5700/5700X. They also have the option of naming it the Ryzen 5800. It is kind of weird how they have similar product names for their CPUs and GPUs now though, even if they will be moving to 6000-series naming for their upcoming graphics cards. Perhaps they intend on moving to a new naming scheme for their next generation of processors if they move to a new socket, but that might be around a year and a half away.

If you keep in mind that AFRs for most computer components are in the neighborhood of 2% under normal use, it does not take that many failures before qualifying as 'lots' even by the manufacturers' standards for warranty liabilities.
Yep, people are far more likely to speak out when something is not working properly for them than when everything is going fine, so it can create a skewed perception about things like hardware failure rates and other issues, making them look far worse than they actually are.

InvalidError

Titan
Yep, people are far more likely to speak out when something is not working properly for them than when everything is going fine, so it can create a skewed perception about things like hardware failure rates and other issues, making them look far worse than they actually are.
Funny thing is that when manufacturers sell millions of items per year, a 2% AFR is still crap-tons of failing devices and I'd expect disgruntled customers to be far more common on forums than they actually are. The bulk of them either have their issues taken care of privately or just shrug it off.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017

I am quite the opposite, as a linux user, I've always preferred the AMD GPUs ever since they open sourced it. On the linux side, they're leaps and bounds ahead of nvidia as long as it wasn't raw performance that you were looking for, like using the GPU to speed up compression operations on software more easily (this is purely a developer rant). On the windows side I can understand, since drivers weren't quite there, but they are right now, and the actual issues I've encountered are due to developers not caring about anything other than nvidia cards. This will change soon hopefully, but it surely doesn't help certain games that will no longer get patched by their developers.

Reactions: RodroX