Discussion AMD's 3D V-Cache Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU getting a PRICE cut next month. **Rumor**

Hi,

There has been some chatter on the web that AMD's first 3D V-Cache CPU, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, is rumored to receive a price cut next month when the company launches its latest Zen 4 chips/AM5 platform. I think those gamers who want to upgrade to one of the latest Ryzen 5000 series CPUs might be interested in this price cut/discount, assuming this rumor turns out to be true. :);)

This move shouldn't surprise anyone though, knowing the fact that when companies release next-gen hardware, they have to drop the price of their previous gen SKUs, to remain competitive, and gain some market share as well.

Obviously, the Ryzen 7000 series will offer higher performance than their predecessors, but gamers need to invest in a totally new platform/AM5, and also new DDR5 RAM sticks, which won't be a cheap upgrade. I presume DDR5 memory is still expensive to buy ? So I think this Ryzen 7 5800X3D price cut, makes a lot of sense for those who want to retain DDR4 Mem support, on the AM4 platform.

But anyway, the rumor comes from Greymon55 who states that AMD might be preparing a price cut for its only 3D V-Cache chip, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D. AMD launched the Ryzen 7 5800X3D back in April 2022, and we got to see the benefits the 3D V-Cache had to offer, delivering faster gaming performance that even outclasses the Intel Core i9-12900KS.

Now, five months later, the chip might receive a price cut, though it is yet to be confirmed whether this will be a retailer-specific price adjustment following the launch of the Ryzen 7000 CPUs on the 15th of September, or an official AMD price cut. The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D launched at an MSRP of $449 USD, and although the CPU has been out for a while, its price has only seen a $10 drop, down to $439 US at Amazon.

It looks like the 5800X3D is the only chip out of the Ryzen 5000 series lineup that hasn't seen a price cut already, as the other Ryzen SKUs have dropped quite a bit to make some room for the new Ryzen 7000 "Zen 4" lineup.

Now, we can debate whether clock speeds or cache speed matter the most in gaming, but we have already seen the results. The extra 3D V-cache really helps with performance, but the overclocking potential is limited on these chips. Interestingly, the wording used by the leaker claims that Zen 4 gaming performance will be "Amazing".

So it looks like the 5800X3D might end up slightly slower or on par with the Ryzen 7 7700X, and that should prompt AMD and its partners to drop the prices considerably. Hopefully. Though, sprinkle some dose of salt on this new rumor for now.

The other part of the equation is the fact that besides the AMD Ryzen 7000 "Zen 4" parts, the 3D V-Cache Ryzen 7000X3D CPUs are also expected to be introduced later this year.

And we have seen that AMD has left the field open between the 8-core Ryzen 7 7700X and 12-core Ryzen 9 7900X, for a potential Ryzen 7 7800X3D SKU. It remains to be seen whether AMD would launch both, a standard 8-core Ryzen 7 7800X and a 3D V-Cache Ryzen 7 7800X3D, or just one SKU but given that there's room for at least two SKUs between the $299 US and the $599 US bracket, it may be possible that we can get two more Ryzen SKUs by the end of this year.

But the more important question is, will AMD still stick to just 8-core V-Cache parts, or offer something more premium? :p

Source, via Wccftech.

View: https://twitter.com/greymon55/status/1557318663413194752

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I think the R5 7600X might be able to easily match or even surpass the 5800X/X3D's performance at least in some workloads. Though, in gaming that extra 3D V-cache might bring some additional performance boost, depending on the game. But this remains to be seen.

When it comes to productivity/synthetic workloads, the 7600X seems to offer a higher single-core performance. According to this article, AMD's upcoming Ryzen 5 7600X (6C/12T) processor is up to 22% faster than Intel's flagship Core i9-12900K in single-core benchmarks.

So we can make some guess on how much performance difference can be expected, between the new 7600X CPU and the 5800X3D SKU.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8769...r-than-12900k-in-single-core-tests/index.html

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Right now you can get 5800X for roughly 300€ and 5900X for 400€ while the 5800X3D costs about 470-500€, almost the same with a 5950X.

If it doesn't drop below 350€, everyone will continue ignoring it.

AMD's upcoming Ryzen 5 7600X (6C/12T) processor is up to 22% faster than Intel's flagship Core i9-12900K in single-core benchmarks.

So we can make some guess on how much performance difference can be expected, between the new 7600X CPU and the 5800X3D SKU.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8769...r-than-12900k-in-single-core-tests/index.html
That lead drops significantly as soon as you use more cores than just one, so any difference in gaming performance is still up in the air.
Although against the 5600x the difference remains quite high.

Also the flagship tag is reserved for the best CPU and not for the second best, but I guess 22% sounds better than 17%
zBJSGCU.jpg

That lead drops significantly as soon as you use more cores than just one, so any difference in gaming performance is still up in the air.
Although against the 5600x the difference remains quite high.

Yeah, if compared to the 5600X, the performance jump is going to be huge. Then it means in single threaded apps/games the new upcoming 7600X might take the lead. Gaming performance will actually still vary though, IMO.

I wouldn't overlook Intel's upcoming Raptor Lake CPU lineup as well, since according to the rumors, the Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake CPUs are going to offer up to a 15% single-thread and a massive 40% leap in multi-threaded performance. Intel themselves have mentioned up to 'double-digit' performance gains with Raptor Lake & it's quite interesting how the blue team is going to hit these performance estimates.

Last edited: