News AMD's 600-Series Chipsets Pass PCIe 4.0 Validation

D

Deleted member 431422

Ok, 600 series chipsets have been validated for PCIe 4.0. Do we know if PCIe 5.0 validation is pending?

However, AMD did not say whether PCIe 5.0 will be supported only by the upcoming CPUs or by both processors and AMD's 600-series chipsets. So, for now, it looks like PCIe Gen5 is reserved only for CPUs.
AMD did promise PCIe 5.0 at pretty much every level, with X670E being "Everywhere"

eepPEa8vUdy9YozsMjiEf9-970-80.jpg.webp

If boards ship with only PCIe 4.0 from the chipset at the start, I'm going to bust out the popcorn and enjoy the show.

EDIT: Looking at other places, this slide seems rather confusing at first glance. Apparently this is only talking about the CPU PCIe lane availability. Not from the chipset itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: peachpuff

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I do still wonder, why AMD hasn't yet shown any specs for chipsets. We don't know which PCIe gen nor number of lanes coming off chipset. All we kniw is 24 (28) lanes from CPUs.

I don't really need chipset to offer PCIe 5.0, but not knowing anything feels weird

hannibal

Distinguished
I do still wonder, why AMD hasn't yet shown any specs for chipsets. We don't know which PCIe gen nor number of lanes coming off chipset. All we kniw is 24 (28) lanes from CPUs.

I don't really need chipset to offer PCIe 5.0, but not knowing anything feels weird

These will be released at the Autumn so no wonder they are still tinkering with the whole system. Most likely we will see more info at the end of the summer and full info week before release.

Reactions: jp7189

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
AMD did promise PCIe 5.0 at pretty much every level, with X670E being "Everywhere"

eepPEa8vUdy9YozsMjiEf9-970-80.jpg.webp

If boards ship with only PCIe 4.0 from the chipset at the start, I'm going to bust out the popcorn and enjoy the show.

EDIT: Looking at other places, this slide seems rather confusing at first glance. Apparently this is only talking about the CPU PCIe lane availability. Not from the chipset itself.
I'm confused. Originally I thought x670 was going to be a single chipset and x670e was going to be a pair where thr 2nd chip would act as a retimer to bring higher speeds to slots further down the board. Then MSI's 670e board shot surfaced which showed dual chips side by side not north and south.

AMD's recent presentation at computex seemed to indicate b650 would be a single and 670 and 670e would use dual chipsets, but all would be based off the same chip. That left me wondering what the difference is between 670 and 670e.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
So many questions... This was really a huge teaser. At least summer will seem a bit longer while waiting for final specs and info :)

hannibal

Distinguished
I'm confused. Originally I thought x670 was going to be a single chipset and x670e was going to be a pair where thr 2nd chip would act as a retimer to bring higher speeds to slots further down the board. Then MSI's 670e board shot surfaced which showed dual chips side by side not north and south.

AMD's recent presentation at computex seemed to indicate b650 would be a single and 670 and 670e would use dual chipsets, but all would be based off the same chip. That left me wondering what the difference is between 670 and 670e.

670E is just version of 670 that has higher requirement numbers. So 670 does not have to push as hard as 670E in speck wise, so it is cheaper to produce even if it use same chipsets. E version... more IO, better voltage regulation etc. aka everything else in the motherboard that support the chipset.

Reactions: jp7189
Why do we need two chipsets to have pcie5 everywhere? And why is the regular x670 gimped with m2 pcie5 only depending on the manufacturer? Something fishy is going on here.
The problem with this slide is it can be taken out of context because it doesn't have what I believe is the complete picture. Whereas other places added more details regarding this slide. So according to those extra details, the PCIe 5.0 available is from the CPU, not the chipset.

There's only two places where PCIe lanes tend to travel from the CPU: the primary x16 slot and a primary M.2 slot. So when they say "everywhere", they mean both of those will be PCIe 5.0. Otherwise, you're only guaranteed PCIe 5.0 at the M.2 slot. PCIe 5.0 on the x16 slot is optional for the X670 and it's PCIe 4.0 on the x16 slot for B650.