News AMD's A620 Chipset Quietly Arrives Without Full Support for 65W-Plus CPUs

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
The motherboards will not support the full range of Ryzen 7000 processors at their full power levels. You can install chips with higher TDP ratings into an A620 motherboard, and it will boot if the BIOS supports it, but the chip will not operate at its full peak power consumption (PPT). This means the highest-end chips will lose some performance in heavily-threaded applications due to VRM limitations.

I already guessed as much by looking at these horribly cut down A620 boards, the VRM look completely inadequate to support higher-end CPU, let alone any future CPU.

A620 boards should cost $40 max. They have a PCIe 3.0 chip lane, lack in features, and have horribly cut down VRM that will severely bottleneck every CPU over 65watt.

AMD expects the reduced power delivery will not impact gaming much.

It will not impact gaming much? That's your excuse AMD?

What a bunch of baloney. You literally sold AM5 as a future proof platform and you're releasing overpriced chipsets and boards that are so cut down they bottleneck current CPU and will bottleneck every future CPU.

Last edited:

bjnmail

Honorable
Jul 20, 2018
I wish AMD would allow Curve Optimizer negative offsets on Ax20 boards. We don't need PBO in its full form, but Curve Optimizer negative offsets should be available across the range, as it can really be helpful for improving efficiency.

Otherwise, I think the compromises made are pretty reasonable. And the 65W TDP recommendation is actually nice to see, especially when I've had clients trying to get me to put a 5950x in an A520 with a terrible 4+2 VRM on more than one occasion before, so having the recommended TDP limited to 65W will be helpful for consumers. It's also nice that it's not a hard limit, so if you really want to torture the VRMs to a premature death with a 7950x in the cheapest A620 you can find, you can still do it if you really want to.

Apr 1, 2020
The thing is though, would you really recommend someone use it? With a 65w limit you're limited to the 7600, 7700, and 7900 (Non X) , all which have lower performance than the 5800X3D in games, and while it may be 30% slower in rendering tasks, it's not really the market for the ultra budget end. And for office tasks, go with cheaper Zen 3.

RkoFfwxgRnGqyUigR9zpPi.png

hxCfPhbSrbp8sWPY9R3iGQ.png

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I fail to see how this is an AMD problem.

It's an AMD problem because AMD flat out lied about AM5 in their slides.

AMD said "$125 motherboards" would "grow with you" and would last "through 2025+".

In reality, these $125 motherboards have a cut down chipset and cut down VRM that doesn't even support today's X or X3D series CPU, let alone those from 2025+.

When people buy a $125 motherboard, only to realise it doesn't support X or X3D CPU and they can't upgrade, they're not going to be happy. The whole selling point of AM5 was that it would "grow with you". But AMD forgot to tell anyone that you need a $250+ motherboard to do that. AMD plastered the "$125 motherboard" on their slides that in reality won't "grow with you" instead.

AMD writes right under the "$125 motherboard" sentence that you could "grow to PCIe 5.0", implying you could use existing PCIe 4.0 hardware and then upgrade it to 5.0 hardware. But the $125A620 mobo don't support PCIe 5.0, they feature PCIe 4.0 and only use PCIe 3.0 for the chipset lanes. There is no "growing into PCIe 5.0", these boards flat out don't support PCIe 5.0.

Sas-titre.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisaname

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
It's an AMD problem because AMD flat out lied about AM5 in their slides.

AMD said "$125 motherboards" would "grow with you" and would last "through 2025+".

In reality, these $125 motherboards have a cut down chipset and cut down VRM that doesn't even support today's X or X3D series CPU, let alone those from 2025+.

When people buy a $125 motherboard, only to realise it doesn't support X or X3D CPU and they can't upgrade, they're not going to be happy.

AMD writes right under the "$125 motherboard" sentence that you could "grow to PCIe 5.0", implying you could use existing PCIe 4.0 hardware and then upgrade it to 5.0 hardware. But the $125 B620 mobo don't support PCIe 5.0, they feature PCIe 4.0 and only use PCIe 3.0 for the chipset lanes. There is no "growing into PCIe 5.0", these boards flat out don't support PCIe 5.0.

Sas-titre.png

AMD did not lie. The AM5 system has all levels of entry from a ridiculously inexpensive $85 mobo from Asrock to a $1000 price gouging mobo from Asus. Most people moving to AM5 understand it is a new platform with new DDR5 DRAM that is more expensive than DDR4. No one purchasing the cheapest entree level mobo @$85 should expect to have PCIe 5. It's of minute value now anyways. If you don't want the AM5 platform or can't afford it then the AM4 is still a viable platform that will be totally useful for many years for many people.

If there is someone to be upset with it is Asus and other mobo makers charging >$500 for a $300 mobo. AMD doesn't set the mobo nor DRAM prices. You may have noticed DDR5 prices have dropped considerably with a world wide economic recession. If you are paying more than $300 for a quality AM5 mobo you are being exploited IMNHO - but it's a choice that YOU are making. No one is being forced to buy an over-priced AM5 mobo. You can get all the whistles and bells for $300 or less on the Asrock Steel Legend X670 chipset mobo. Newegg and other suppliers also offer package discounts on mobos/CPUs or mobo/DRAM or all three.

Reactions: PEnns

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Most people moving to AM5 understand it is a new platform with new DDR5 DRAM that is more expensive than DDR4.

That's right.

But how many understand that the $125 board they just bought has a cut down VRM and chipset and they either won't be able to upgrade to X or X3D CPU at all, or will be severely bottlenecked by their board.

That $80-$180 A620 range is the price range the average user spends on their board. All those people are going to think they can upgrade to higher end CPU at some point, that has been the whole selling point of AM5. They will not be able to.

AMD needs to come out with a statement that makes it clear these $80-$180 A620 boards do not properly support X and X3D. Because they sold the whole AM5 platform on upgradability.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisaname
I look at it this way. Prices are what they are, there are no more $49/$59 dollar motherboards anymore. They have to have some profit or why produce it.
As long as the motherboards are labeled correctly, stating up to 65watt cpu support who cares.
You knew the limit when you purchased it.
I mean the cheapest motherboards never supported the fastest CPUs properly. It might officially run it but at slower speeds.
What is the big fuss about?

:??:

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
That's right.

But how many understand that the $125 board they just bought has a cut down VRM and chipset and they either won't be able to upgrade to X or X3D CPU at all, or will be severely bottlenecked by their board.

That $80-$180 A620 range is the price range the average user spends on their board. All those people are going to think they can upgrade to higher end CPU at some point, that has been the whole selling point of AM5. They will not be able to.

AMD needs to come out with a statement that makes it clear these $80-$180 A620 boards do not properly support X and X3D. Because they sold the whole AM5 platform on upgradability.

How do you think they lowered the price from >$500 to <$125? A ~$125 AM5 mobo is an ENTRY LEVEL mobo with an entree level VRM and entry level features.

As far as CPUs that can run on these mobos the mobo maker lists what CPU can be used based on the VRM design and CPU power consumption.

This has been the case in the past when many mobos did not have sufficient VRM designs to handle the 8-core AMD CPUs. It was necessary to buy a top-of-the-line Taichi or similar mobo with a high-end VRM design that could deliver the power. In addition AMD may be releasing more "X" version 65w CPUs that run just fine on a entree level mobos.

It would make no technical sense to buy a $125 mobo to run a $700 CPU and $1000 GPU. Entry level mobos are for those who want the least expensive entree point.

Last edited:

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
It looks awful. I'm ok with no overclocking and maybe even with power limit, but using the same PROM21 chips and cutting USB port and PCI-E version for no reason at all is disgusting. It looks like the company is punishing everyone who paid for that that they didn't pay enough.

Reactions: peachpuff

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
I already guessed as much by looking at these horribly cut down A620 boards, the VRM look completely inadequate to support higher-end CPU, let alone any future CPU.
this board is fine for the entry level cpus this is made for. by your logic, if you are going to buy a 7900x to a 7950x, i doubt some one would by a board like this. this would be the same as buying a 13900k and buying a H610 based board to go with it. but i guess that us something you would do ?

Most people moving to AM5 understand it is a new platform with new DDR5 DRAM that is more expensive than DDR4
to bad this is false . ddr 4 and ddr5 are about the same price give or take a few bucks, where i am at least. even the boards are with in a few bucks of each other for am5 and lga1700, the only price difference is in the cpus, and even that is moot quite often with cpus being on sale for either side

Reactions: Why_Me

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
this board is fine for the entry level cpus this is made for. by your logic, if you are going to buy a 7900x to a 7950x, i doubt some one would by a board like this. this would be the same as buying a 13900k and buying a H610 based board to go with it. but i guess that us something you would do ?

to bad this is false . ddr 4 and ddr5 are about the same price give or take a few bucks, where i am at least. even the boards are with in a few bucks of each other for am5 and lga1700, the only price difference is in the cpus, and even that is moot quite often with cpus being on sale for either side

Previous to the latest economic crash DDR5 was more expensive than DDR4 at Newegg and other U.S. etailers. I haven't checked it today.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
To illustrate that you should take all online reports with a grain of salt... the Asrock A620M-HDV/M.2+ listed below for $100 has a VRM/mobo design that is suitable for use with AM5 CPUs up to 120w and as of this posting you can buy it right now.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-a620m-hdv-m-2/p/N82E16813162116?Description=A620 mobo&cm_re=A620_mobo--13-162-116--Product&quicklink=true

This should end the foolishness about A620 chipset mobos being limited to 65w CPUs. The mobo maker decides what level of VRM circuit design they chose to offer. Some entry level A620 mobos may be limited to 65w CPUs but not all of them and for $100 this is a steal of a deal for entry level AM5.

IMO - the Ryzen 5 7600X currently selling for $242. at Newegg is the sweet spot. It's a 105w CPU. The Ryzen 5 7600 (no X) is a 65w CPU of similar performance for $229.

Last edited:

anonymousdude

Distinguished
To illustrate that you should take all online reports with a grain a salt... the Asrock A620M-HDV/M.2+ listed below for $100 has a VRM/mobo design that is suitable for use with CPUs to 120w.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-a620m-hdv-m-2/p/N82E16813162116?Description=A620 mobo&cm_re=A620_mobo--13-162-116--Product&quicklink=true

This should end the foolishness about A620 chipset mobos being limited to 65w CPUs. The mobo maker decides what level of VRM circuit design they chose to offer. Some entry level A620 mobos may be limited to 65w CPUs but not all of them and for $100 this is a steal of a deal for entry level AM5.

Beat me to it. I was about to point out that AMD only dictates minimum requirements. Mobo makers are free to beef up the designs as they see fit. It's been the case since basically forever.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
That's right.

That's no different than it's been in the past. With AM4 it was like that. Those who had B350 and A320 chipsets ran into this problem. A520 mobos as well. Same with Intel. It's not like H610 has beefy enough VRMs for a 13900k. You've always had to pair CPU and mobo properly. Two, it doesn't prevent you from upgrading to a future 65w cpu. So when a 65w Zen 5 CPU or say a 65 X3D CPU comes out that's on the table.

Reactions: salgado18

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Previous to the latest economic crash DDR5 was more expensive than DDR4 at Newegg and other U.S. etailers. I haven't checked it today.
well i would double check :) i have been looking at ddr 5, as i was considering one of the 7900x cpu and mobo bundles a store here had here, and found the prices to be comparable, with the 32 gig kits at least, the 64 gig kits, not so much.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
well i would double check :) i have been looking at ddr 5, as i was considering one of the 7900x cpu and mobo bundles a store here had here, and found the prices to be comparable, with the 32 gig kits at least, the 64 gig kits, not so much.

Prices can vary by location, brand, speed and demand.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
true, but at the same time, it seems the prices for ddr4 and ddr5 are getting closer, so the whole argument of ram prices between the 2 platforms is getting to be a moot point. be sides, if i were to buy an intel cpu, i sure wouldnt put it in a ddr 4 based board.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
For those looking for a more high end model AM5 mobo Newegg is running a "bundle special" on the Asrock Pro RS X670E mobo + the Ryzen 5 7600X for $442. an $80 savings. They also have MSI mobo combos but I can't recommend those in good conscience based on my experience with MSI premium model mobos.

Last edited: