News AMD's Aging OEM Quad-Core CPU Finally Debuts at Retail

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
If you can't afford a dedicated GPU just buy a console.

You'll have way more fun with a Nintendo Switch than on a PC with an old integrated GPU that can't run any game.

NaClKnight

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
If you can't afford a dedicated GPU just buy a console.

You'll have way more fun with a Nintendo Switch than on a PC with an old integrated GPU that can't run any game.

The only console that i can agree with that on is the Xbox Series S, which has a wide overlap with PC releases for only $300

But realistically, if you know you want a PC, it's because there's a game you want to play that is only on PC. "Buy a switch" isn't realistic advice. This makes sense if your kids want to play Minecraft or Roblox or Sims or Fall Guys or whatever new indie darling can be played on a potato

Also AMD APUs are waaay more competent than any intel iGPU, so that's not a fair comparison either

This 4300G makes sense until you can save up for an RX 6600 or 6600XT or scrounge a used dGPU from a friend or eBay

Reactions: artk2219

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
If you really wanted to play that game, just get one of those old i7 has well PCs and put in a cheap GPU.
A 4c8t Zen2 is pretty much Haswell in gaming performance and those things are much cheaper.

Wait, just realized this is the mobile Zen2 with a fraction of the L2 cache. It is no longer Haswell class in performance.

But it is a CPU. I'll give it that much.

Reactions: KyaraM

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Not everyone is a gamer.

Exactly, going with a g series enables you to use the PCIe slot Gen 3 for non-GPU cards(*). But the 4000 series only offers 8-lanes IIRC.

If you want 16 lanes, go with a 5000 series and you can use two x8 lanes cards provided the mobo offers the 2 x8 bifurcation and you use a mechanical x16 -> 2 x8 riser cable/board. Certain mobos might also offer 4 x4.

(*) RAID, Network, Data Acquisition, etc.

healthy Pro-teen

Prominent
Jun 23, 2022
If you really wanted to play that game, just get one of those old i7 has well PCs and put in a cheap GPU.
A 4c8t Zen2 is pretty much Haswell in gaming performance and those things are much cheaper.

Wait, just realized this is the mobile Zen2 with a fraction of the L2 cache. It is no longer Haswell class in performance.

But it is a CPU. I'll give it that much.
With respect, I genuinely can't figure out why you keep saying Zen 2 is worse than Haswell, while its the complete opposite as shown in the LTT's video. And I don't know about the 4300G, 5600G maintains a sizeable chunk of the 5600X's performance with a large amount of cache cut down. Its also way more efficient than the 4700K. For now pricing is not what I would like, but saying that Zen2 is equal Haswell is a bit of stretch.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLL_mxFg_Jc

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
With respect, I genuinely can't figure out why you keep saying Zen 2 is worse than Haswell, while its the complete opposite as shown in the LTT's video. And I don't know about the 4300G, 5600G maintains a sizeable chunk of the 5600X's performance with a large amount of cache cut down. Its also way more efficient than the 4700K. For now pricing is not what I would like, but saying that Zen2 is equal Haswell is a bit of stretch.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLL_mxFg_Jc
Here's basically the CPU in this article(4350G) tested against a stock 4790k with half of the ram and run at 1600mhz (jedec timings), that runs 4.2ghz all core when Haswell did 4.7 all core and 2400c10 ram. Basically the 4790k matched it with one arm tied behind it's back.
Test Setup and #CPUOverload Benchmarks - A Broadwell Retrospective Review in 2020: Is eDRAM Still Worth It? (anandtech.com)
Maybe my memory was a little biased because I always ran mine overclocked.

KyaraM

Admirable
oh ?? and what if the consoles have no games that you want to play, then what ?
sorry but " just buy a console " is not the answer for every thing
What game would that be, though? Most games released lately were released for every platform, or will get a port for previous gen later. At the very least, PS5 and thes XBOX series get many games PC gets. Even older titles get cheap ports. If it's not for gaming vut only office work, sure, this CPU is okay I guess. For gaming, there simoly are better alternatives that won't cost your firstborn to get. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
What game would that be, though? Most games released lately were released for every platform, or will get a port for previous gen later. At the very least, PS5 and thes XBOX series get many games PC gets. Even older titles get cheap ports. If it's not for gaming vut only office work, sure, this CPU is okay I guess. For gaming, there simoly are better alternatives that won't cost your firstborn to get. Sad, but unfortunately true.
if you already have a comp, and it plays the games you play, and the cpu or vid card are showing its age, then IMO, better to spend the money on a new cpu ( if you can just upgrade that, and a few on here have posted even an old 2600K plays most games just fine still, its the vid card that needs the update ) or a vid card. i dont own any Play Stations OR xbox consoles due to the fact there have been 5 games or so between them that i would want to play, IMO, not worth the cost.

artk2219

Distinguished
Here's basically the CPU in this article(4350G) tested against a stock 4790k with half of the ram and run at 1600mhz (jedec timings), that runs 4.2ghz all core when Haswell did 4.7 all core and 2400c10 ram. Basically the 4790k matched it with one arm tied behind it's back.
Test Setup and #CPUOverload Benchmarks - A Broadwell Retrospective Review in 2020: Is eDRAM Still Worth It? (anandtech.com)
Maybe my memory was a little biased because I always ran mine overclocked.
Yeah, the 4350g isn't a full fat zen 2 core, it only has 4mb l3 cache vs the 16 you would get with a 3300x, not to mention the faster clocks the 3300x achieves. I still don't think it'd be a night and day difference, but yes zen 2 has more potential than haswell. It's just about as low a zen 2 core as you can go, and it's matching haswell finest. I'm not saying haswell wasn't good, it definitely was and honestly still is, but you get much more out of going am4. M.2 nvme drives without a pcie riser card assuming your lga 1150 motherboard supported it to begin with, more pcie lanes, ddr4, not worthless integrated graphics, better efficiency, pcie 4 with a 500 series chipset with a full zen 2 or 3 chip, and the opportunity to upgrade to a far better chip down the road. It's kind of apples and oranges in platform potential. That said, they better price this CPU correctly, otherwise it's a waste, I can already pickup a Ryzen 5 4500 for 75, this would have to be like 60 or less to be worth it. At that price though it would be a nice gateway to am4.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Yeah, the 4350g isn't a full fat zen 2 core, it only has 4mb l3 cache vs the 16 you would get with a 3300x, not to mention the faster clocks the 3300x achieves. I still don't think it'd be a night and day difference, but yes zen 2 has more potential than haswell. It's just about as low a zen 2 core as you can go, and it's matching haswell finest. I'm not saying haswell wasn't good, it definitely was and honestly still is, but you get much more out of going am4. M.2 nvme drives without a pcie riser card assuming your lga 1150 motherboard supported it to begin with, more pcie lanes, ddr4, not worthless integrated graphics, better efficiency, pcie 4 with a 500 series chipset with a full zen 2 or 3 chip, and the opportunity to upgrade to a far better chip down the road. It's kind of apples and oranges in platform potential. That said, they better price this CPU correctly, otherwise it's a waste, I can already pickup a Ryzen 5 4500 for 75, this would have to be like 60 or less to be worth it. At that price though it would be a nice gateway to am4.
I was talking about 2013 Haswell with the 4.7ghz. 2014 Devils Canyon would generally get 4.8ghz or +14% on the clocks and +50% on the ram for oc. (4790k was technically 2nd fastest on Haswell arch, behind the Crystalwell variants, but those were never widely available.)

I would think that an OCed 4770k or 4790k would be above stock 3300x, 3100x and below an OC 3300x. Basically comparable. This chip in the article will be a sidegrade from a 10 year old Intel chip. I'm not recommending either, unless you want to get one of those complete old Dell office PCs for `$150. I just checked ebay and you can get an Optiplex with 4770, 16GB ram, no HDD, no OS for $64, free delivery.

Mar 10, 2023
oh ?? and what if the consoles have no games that you want to play, then what ?
sorry but " just buy a console " is not the answer for every thing

To add to that, the Steam Deck closed the console/PC price gap in considerably by being literally just a PC in a console form factor, plus there's been a lot of competition cropping up in the PC handheld market on the whole lately, with the AyaNeo Air Plus being essentially a cut-down Steam Deck as far as the APU goes, which while it won't be playing AAA titles at high settings any time soon if at all, where the Steam Deck seems to handle such titles without issue, that Mendocino APU should be able to handle the level of games that a Switch Lite owner would typically play, which is stuff like lower-end indie titles and other less hardware-intensive types of games, which is appropriate as the AyaNeo Air Plus seems to be targeting the Switch Lite's price bracket, while the Steam Deck is closer to the full-sized Switch or Switch OLED's price bracket for the base model assuming you can source your own m.2-2230 SSD for it.

As for that 4300G, the two big use cases it would be perfect in, is as the APU for an HTPC or a general-purpose office desktop, or if you really want to game on it, it should be able to handle most retro console emulation perfectly fine too, but generally if you want a gaming PC on a tight budget, the Steam Deck is going to be a much better deal due to having way more graphical horsepower on board by using an RDNA2 IGP vs. the 4300G's Vega 6 IGP, while still being 4c/8t Zen2, and also using faster RAM, with LPDDR5 on the Steam Deck vs. DDR4 for the 4300G, and the Steam Deck's custom APU also has 8 CUs vs. the 4300G's 6, in addition to being RDNA2.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
steam deck ? no thanks, rather spend the money for that, on a comp upgrade as well. steam deck cant really compete with my desktop as it is, even with the vid card i have

Mar 10, 2023
steam deck ? no thanks, rather spend the money for that, on a comp upgrade as well. steam deck cant really compete with my desktop as it is, even with the vid card i have

Still don't stop that console from closing in the PC/console price gap to the degree that it did,

AkroZ

Commendable
Aug 9, 2021
In 2021, LDLC (a french reseller) was selling the Ryzen 4300GE.
https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00424387.html

E for eco, it's the version with a TDP of 35W (instead of 65W).

I bought one, the performances in gaming was surprising as it can run games correctly at 1080p (with graphic details around medium). After all it's pretty similar to the Steam Deck APU (Max TDP 15W) but for 1080p.

Reactions: AnendTech
Mar 13, 2023
Current low end Ryzen prices (in the US):
CPU_______Zen (a=APU die)#cfreqL3iGPUUS$stores
R3 41002a43.8-4.04no65-69bhphoto, amz
R3 4300G2a43.8-4.04Vega6???
R5 3600263.6-4.216no95newegg
R5 45002a63.6-4.18no79bhphoto
R5 4600G2a63.7-4.28Vega7100amz 3rd party (OEM, chip pull or tray)
R3 5300G3a44.0-4.28Vega6100amz
R5 55003a63.6-4.216no95MicroCenter, newegg when on sale, free CoH3
R5 5600G3a63.9-4.416Vega7120-129amz, MicroCenter (before coupon or mobo bundle dscount), as low as $110-114 last November
R5 5600363.5-4.432no130newegg, free CoH3

The Ryzen 3 4300G's market value should be around $70-80, depending on how you value the iGPU (the 4100 is the same CPU as 4300G with disabled iGPU). For many people, stepping up to a $95-120+ CPU should be a no-brainer, though I know plenty of people who are more than satisfied with their Picasso-U/Dali/Skylake+ CPUs.

Last edited: