News AMD's Big Navi Benchmarks: 4K and 1440p Numbers for Radeon RX 6900 XT, 6800 XT, 6800

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Smart Memory Access. "It shouldn't be considered cheating, though, since chipmakers have the liberty to develop new technologies to give them an edge over their competitors." It isn't cheating but it is unfortunate that it will only work on an all AMD system. If Smart Memeory Access significantly lifts performance of the new RX6000 cards over the base performance of the same card but can't be used in an Intel system, it will look bad for AMD and push some buyers toward Nvidia. I am waiting for supply to catch up to demand to buy a new gpu and if I'm leaving 5-10% of my performance on the table because I have an Intel system then I will buy Nvidia. Otherwise, if RX6000 is close to RTX 3000 it will come down to cost/performance/efficiency for which card I will buy, RX6800XT or RTX 3080.

Well, if these numbers turn out to be true, AMD have finally brought the Ryzen effect to their GPU's! Of course, we can only really wait for the 'real' reviews to see the true picture.

Nonetheless, exciting times in the GPU world along with CPU's too.

Reactions: King_V

TheBeastInside

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
Proprietary technology is rarely wonderful for consumers. But I don't see any company giving away its edge because it seems unfair.
Intel and Nvidia would not even flinch if they had a way to pull something like this.
So, while I may not like it, I feel it's hard to judge companies fairly in this market - they're all a little bit of aholes.
As long as there is competition, I am happy since I can choose the best solution or the least evil one 😉.

Reactions: mac_angel

Makaveli

Splendid
Proprietary technology is rarely wonderful for consumers. But I don't see any company giving away its edge because it seems unfair.
Intel and Nvidia would not even flinch if they had a way to pull something like this.
So, while I may not like it, I feel it's hard to judge companies fairly in this market - they're all a little bit of aholes.
As long as there is competition, I am happy since I can choose the best solution or the least evil one 😉.

I agree with you AMD is in the unique position where they make CPU, Motherboard and GPU. NVIDIA cannot to the same currently, And intel will have the same opportunity once their GPU's are out.

AMD fights a battle on two front CPUs vs intel and GPU's vs Nvidia and they have been doing so for many decades without much of a complaint when both of these companies are far larger with more money. They need every advantage possible.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Smart Memory Access. "It shouldn't be considered cheating, though, since chipmakers have the liberty to develop new technologies to give them an edge over their competitors." It isn't cheating but it is unfortunate that it will only work on an all AMD system. If Smart Memeory Access significantly lifts performance of the new RX6000 cards over the base performance of the same card but can't be used in an Intel system, it will look bad for AMD and push some buyers toward Nvidia. I am waiting for supply to catch up to demand to buy a new gpu and if I'm leaving 5-10% of my performance on the table because I have an Intel system then I will buy Nvidia. Otherwise, if RX6000 is close to RTX 3000 it will come down to cost/performance/efficiency for which card I will buy, RX6800XT or RTX 3080.

To be fair, I don't think Smart Memory Access will be that influental.
Yes, it WILL raise performance, but it probably won't be huge. On average, I think you're looking at maybe up to 10% performance improvement (depending on the game)... but I don't think it will matter too much what with AMD drivers improving performance over time as well.

Either way, you're getting more than enough graphics power with RDNA 2 along with open source features.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I agree with you AMD is in the unique position where they make CPU, Motherboard and GPU. NVIDIA cannot to the same currently, And intel will have the same opportunity once their GPU's are out.

AMD fights a battle on two front CPUs vs intel and GPU's vs Nvidia and they have been doing so for many decades without much of a complaint when both of these companies are far larger with more money. They need every advantage possible.

AMD is a corporation like any other... it bears to keep that in mind.
However, AMD DOES have an emphasis on supporting far more in regards to relevant open source features to do what companies like NV and Intel do with proprietary ones.
I'd also argue those Open-source features are more important than pairing Zen 3 and RDNA 2 together to eek out (maybe) up to 10% more performance with 'Smart Access Memory'.

But at this point, if you're getting a new system... might as well go with Zen 3 and RDNA 2.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so maybe 10% more performance is not that big of a deal? folks are still willing to put up with crazy high cpu power usage from intel due to maybe an even smaller performance gain over amd.

i'm pretty sure if it works out that the combo offers anything like 10% or even more performance boost, folks will certainly consider it worthwhile. not saying folks will abandon intel in droves but if the combo beats intel/nvidia and uses less power and probably costs less, it's pretty much a no brainer for anyone with no brand bias.

there are many fanboys out there who favor one over the other no matter what. but the majority seem to favor bang for the buck more than anything and will go with whatever works the best at the time. i hope its all true cause competition is great no matter what!!

distortnx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I'd normally complain about something like this as well - especially if AMD wasn't able to field a competitive CPU like in the past. Easier to look over with the performance of Zen 3. Also, it sounds like it may be limited due to hardware support or they would've enabled it on previous Zen architectures. I'd give AMD the benefit of the doubt given their track record with open source initiatives and applying newly developed features to older hardware where it can be supported (RIS enabled on Polaris is the only recent example I can think of).

Even if they are just being a-holes to push their new products, I've been impressed enough recently with what they've been able to do with their limited R&D budget (compared to NVidia/Intel) to let it slide...

TheBeastInside

Reputable
Oct 21, 2020
I'd normally complain about something like this as well - especially if AMD wasn't able to field a competitive CPU like in the past. Easier to look over with the performance of Zen 3. Also, it sounds like it may be limited due to hardware support or they would've enabled it on previous Zen architectures. I'd give AMD the benefit of the doubt given their track record with open source initiatives and applying newly developed features to older hardware where it can be supported (RIS enabled on Polaris is the only recent example I can think of).

Even if they are just being a-holes to push their new products, I've been impressed enough recently with what they've been able to do with their limited R&D budget (compared to NVidia/Intel) to let it slide...
I'm not sure its letting it slide as much as accepting the fact that companies do this once in a while.
Maybe once we could punish them for it...
Today the actual buyer group is so fragmented that there's hardly ever a consensus to drive any meaningful resistance against this behavior.
Even now, there are people claiming supply for the RTX 3000 series is expected or ok...
And who actually punished Nvidia for all its proprietary technology over the years? Or Intel for forcing new sockets for almost every generation?
No one.
Some of us whined and complained, few of us paid the underdog of that specific era, most people just bought what was best for their interests.
Its kind of where we are today as a global society...
Thinking about it a bit more, I tend to think most people buying the hardware had no idea of the disgusting practices that enabled it to be made.

Sep 13, 2020
Maybe it should also be mentioned that all presented "benchmarks" were without ray tracing. Another source unveiled that when ray tracing is active the 6800xt actually falls short 30% of the 3080. It beats the 2080 TI as a fellow first gen. ray tracing card though. The 6900xt will also not beat the 3080 if ray tracing is active, at least not yet. On top we have to consider the cooling issues. As much as I want team red to show team green its place for competition sake. We should remove the fanboy glasses and look at reality.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe it should also be mentioned that all presented "benchmarks" were without ray tracing. Another source unveiled that when ray tracing is active the 6800xt actually falls short 30% of the 3080. It beats the 2080 TI as a fellow first gen. ray tracing card though. The 6900xt will also not beat the 3080 if ray tracing is active, at least not yet. On top we have to consider the cooling issues. As much as I want team red to show team green its place for competition sake. We should remove the fanboy glasses and look at reality.
What is this source?

Reactions: bwohl

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
Smart Memory Access is one of the features that's tipping my favor toward getting the new AMD over the Nvidia offerings. I'm building a new AMD based PC now and looking forward to picking up a 5000 series ryzen cpu. The boost that is achieved by SMA will probably grow significantly if game developers are willing to code with it in mind. Taking advantage of being a CPU as well as a GPU manufacturer is just good sense, it's shocking they've taken so long to do so. It's only logical that systems built around their hardware exclusively should provide some benefit. Maybe Intel and Nvidia will join forces to combat a common enemy and make similar attempts.

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020
I've seen those "leaked" benchmarks. Take everything with a grain of salt. We don't know if those benchmarks were made on the final revision of the cards with updated drivers or a prototype test kit which isn't representative of the final product. As with everything we hear from now till release, be skeptical.

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I'm in the market for a whole new system so I'll be going Ryzen 5xxx CPU and 64 GB of RAM cause of things I like to run and do and the way I like torun and do them. Most likely on a x570 based board, unless something better comes up by the time of purchase.

As far as GPU goes, I would like to get a rx6900xt or the 3090, but really it looks like either one will work fine. What it will come down to will be availability. Its as simple as that.

I'm not gonna be playing any stupid games and jumping through idiotic hoops just to get a video card. I will wait if need to, otherwise my money will go to the company that simply can deliver. That will determine my GPU.

Reactions: Kridian

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
um, isn't this : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/ the same as SAM from amd ??? if so, then nvidia has something similar

Still no independent reviews, just AMD propaganda/marketing?
just like intel and nvidia do themselves ?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
um, isn't this : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/ the same as SAM from amd ??? if so, then nvidia has something similar
No, SAM improves communication between the CPU and the GPU by giving the CPU access to the full frame buffer on the GPU. The purpose of RTX I/O is to bypass the CPU and allow the GPU to pull compressed data straight from a storage device and get processed by the GPU, reducing work for the CPU. Two different technologies addressing two different bottlenecks.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I still remember how AMD pushed their own Fury and Fury X benchmarks out to the world before the card was released. They cherry-picked the games and used golden cards that gave the best results. These are great results and I definitely will wait before buying NVidia over AMD (not that I could get a card anyways). I still want to have the cards in independent hands and benchmarked before I make any decisions on getting a new card. If they really want to put some FUD into NVidia's release, just lift the NDA early for cards sent to reviewers! I also want to see how AIBs do with both of these new families of graphics cards. Exciting!

Reactions: Gurg

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
A lot of people need to understand that 2020 AMD is not old AMD, they learned a lot from their past mistakes and most likely will not repeat them, if it can be done.
You will see soon when the reviews come out that both the new CPUs and GPUs from AMD will not only deliver as their own AMD performance charts show, but they may actually over-deliver.
Drivers also will also be better than Navi 1. Lisa Su is not joking anymore, but some people still don't understand that yet... you will soon.

The only advantage nvidia still has is in the software suite side, especially but not only with DLSS and RTX. This is because AMD is fighting on 2 fronts while being a much smaller company, while trying to make much higher performance jumps all at the same time. So yes, they went primarily for raw performance in hardware and the software side will come next, after soon.
They have 2 consoles and PC gaming in their hands, game engines will be optimized for both Ryzen and Radeon and their own DLSS and RT(X) versions, which will be broader and more open source and they will catch up with that too.

It's kind of unrealistic how some people complain that a company which was almost on the brink of bankruptcy a few years back, does not make the perfect 100% KO jump (that they want), in 3 years time, in both CPU and GPU and software side vs two giants: Intel and nvidia... I'd say they are 85-90% there, which is already very very impressive.

AMD has found a new performance gain by pairing Ryzen with Radeon, and people are upset? Pffft, I think is amazing and this is what they need to get even more people on AMD side. All those haters and ignorants that can't get past their own narrow minded visions or fanboism can stay on whatever Intel/nvidia platform they want, they will be missing out... it will be their loss.

And no, I won't be buying both a Ryzen 5000 CPU and Radeon 6000 GPU anytime soon to benefit from that new tech either (I can only affor a GPU upgrade this year), but I can acknoledge a new step forward in performance and in 1-2 years if all progresses well, I'll probably join the SAM party too.

TRENDING THREADS