News AMD's Budget B650, B650E Motherboards Top Out at $450

Oct 10, 2022
Early adopter tax. Wait a year, prices will become more competitive. I paid $280 for a strix x570e board back in 2019. Today that same board is ~$350 (USD), $330 if bought with a processor at microcenter. Still on the high side, but considering inflation/recession, marginally acceptable. $500 for a board. No way!

I think we might see some sales in the next 2 months, but I don't expect anything significant. Expect my x570/5900x build to last at least another 3 years. Then will decide which platform (amd/intel) to go with.

...they saw the money printing press during the pandemic and dont want to stop printing record profits. ..
-fully agree on that.

No matter what "experts" may say, there's no reason for such high prices. 5 years ago, the "latest tech" (good!) midrange mo-bo was about $250, now they want $400. Because it has much better specs? Well, 5 years ago, mo-bo's at that time also had "much better" specs.
Speaking for me, I have time waiting to upgrade... we'll see how long sellers can.

Just my 2c,
Bogdan

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Sure wouldn't mind a bit cheaper version, particularly as I don't need WiFi 6E support, and I don't even necessarily need SATA anymore. Around 200 is what I was counting with for a motherboard in my new rig though (with my old rig being mostly almost a decade old). So it seems I may find something in that range.

And if it is true that Intel's motherboards for Raptor Lake will have support for PCIe 5.0 M.2 slots on the high-end motherboards only, going AMD seems to be a lot cheaper at least so far as the motherboard is concerned.

(And the several Alder Lake motherboards with PCIe 5.0 for M.2, they apparently take 8 lanes away from the GPU, so not really an option for me, and not exactly cheap.)

Reactions: martinch
D

Deleted member 431422

$169 is in US without tax. The cheapest B650 I found was ASUS PRIME B650M-A and it's $227. That's including VAT. I'm talking about EU, Poland.
There's no way I'm paying that much for PC components. The pandemic 2 years make the corporate people high on revenue. Tough luck for them. The economics for average person are worse than two years ago. Let's see them sell those... :)

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Zen4 is just too expensive right now for mainstream market. 7950x is ok because it's a flagship model. The worst is 7600x, coupled with expensive boards and ddr5, it's simply not attractive at all.

I would rather forgo zen4, get a cheaper alderlake/zen3 combo and save the difference for a better gpu. Now raptorlake is coming and if pricing is competitive, it's even better. It will work with existing b660 boards and ddr4.

Now, the 13600k could be a winner.

That poor dead horse... So pulpy now.

Anyway, yes, AMD has a pricing problem. Performance wise, Intel may want to avoid comparisons to DDR4 though. They'll actually lose ground otherwise. It's quite an interesting connondrum to have as Zen4 actually performs really well with slower DDR5 than Intel (I could be remembering wrong).

So the interesting choices for gaming comparison will be:
  • DDR4 Raptor Lake and the 5800X3D for games.
  • DDR5 Raptor Lake and Ry7K.
  • Overall standings per platform cost; $ per frame is quite nice there.

Just keep in mind that Intel using DDR4 will lose against Ry7K, but will definitely be better value if they go lower than DDR4+5800X3D with some SKUs. Although Alder Lake should be sufficient for now in the lower end and, it seems they've hinted as much.

Application-wise. I think Intel increasing the cost of the 13500K may work against them, but we'll have to see. Maybe they think AMD can't lower the price of the 7600X, but I strongly believe they're in for a surprise.

Regards.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Costed me 480$ for 4x16 gigs of Gskill ddr4-3200 ram, another 280$ for an Tuf Gaming B550, and finally 360$ for an 3600x all in CAD$ when they came out outch outch outch

Paid 800$ CAD for an Asus Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 thks for the crypto miners at the time, took me a year to get one

And now it's almost the double for the triple 5 things loll .......... gonna wait i think

Reactions: Why_Me
Oct 10, 2022
that's a big oof from me. I was able to get a used x570 Aorus Xtreme (sorry Steve) for UNDER $400. why in the world would I even think of upgrading for at least a year? I certainly wouldn't buy a 7000 series without it being delidded. and I definitely won't buy Intel until their architecture progresses. but at least Intel has higher intergenerational compatibility for now

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Anyway, yes, AMD has a pricing problem. Performance wise, Intel may want to avoid comparisons to DDR4 though. They'll actually lose ground otherwise. It's quite an interesting connondrum to have as Zen4 actually performs really well with slower DDR5 than Intel (I could be remembering wrong).

Just keep in mind that Intel using DDR4 will lose against Ry7K, but will definitely be better value if they go lower than DDR4+5800X3D with some SKUs. Although Alder Lake should be sufficient for now in the lower end and, it seems they've hinted as much.

Application-wise. I think Intel increasing the cost of the 13500K may work against them, but we'll have to see. Maybe they think AMD can't lower the price of the 7600X, but I strongly believe they're in for a surprise.

Regards.
Don't hurt yourself contorting so hard to try an spin this as positive for AMD. No one should be basing CPU purchases based on gaming performance at this point. Unless you're a professional FPS player with a 3090 level card, the performance differences between any recent CPU releases is irrelevant. Who doesn't have decent DDR4 in a system today? I wouldn't recommend going DDR4 with Raptor Lake, but for anyone on a budget, migrating their current DDR4 to a 600 series board makes the RAM "free." Comparing the overall platform costS between a 13400-13600k with free RAM and a $100-$150 600 series board will be embarrassing vs AMD's 7600x, DDR5 and AM4 motherboard. Look at the article THG just posted about blender results. 13600k beat the 7600x by 51%. Even with DDR4 the 13600k might still be faster than the 7700x.

There is no 13500k.

Reactions: renz496 and KyaraM

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Regards.

You forgotten about DDR4 Raptor Lake against Zen4.

I can tell you 13600K with DDR4 will be one heck of a combo....

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Don't hurt yourself contorting so hard to try an spin this as positive for AMD. No one should be basing CPU purchases based on gaming performance at this point. Unless you're a professional FPS player with a 3090 level card, the performance differences between any recent CPU releases is irrelevant. Who doesn't have decent DDR4 in a system today? I wouldn't recommend going DDR4 with Raptor Lake, but for anyone on a budget, migrating their current DDR4 to a 600 series board makes the RAM "free." Comparing the overall platform costS between a 13400-13600k with free RAM and a $100-$150 600 series board will be embarrassing vs AMD's 7600x, DDR5 and AM4 motherboard. Look at the article THG just posted about blender results. 13600k beat the 7600x by 51%. Even with DDR4 the 13600k might still be faster than the 7700x.

There is no 13500k.

There could by 13400 with B660.... Some B660 allow bclk adjustment.

We could be in a situation where Zen4 is too costly and Zen3 is not competitive in terms of performance. 5800X3D does well only in games.... and its EXPENSIVE....USD400 is not excatly cheap.

Reactions: KyaraM
At those prices they can keep those motherboards and CPUs. Vote with your wallet folks, let the manufacturers know that $100 range motherboards is what we the consumers need.
You can't have a cheap mobo that can handle 230W, that's just how things are, if they release a $100 mobo it will be terrible for anything but the lowest ZEN 4 CPUs and might not even be able to use any of the higher end CPUs at all.
And before you say, oh good let them do that, they can't release a mobo for a platform that doesn't work with all of the platforms CPUs.

KyaraM

Admirable
You can't have a cheap mobo that can handle 230W, that's just how things are, if they release a $100 mobo it will be terrible for anything but the lowest ZEN 4 CPUs and might not even be able to use any of the higher end CPUs at all.
And before you say, oh good let them do that, they can't release a mobo for a platform that doesn't work with all of the platforms CPUs.
I mean. The MSI Pro Z690-A costs below 200 now and handles that wattage fine... for quite a while, actually. So it is definitely possible.

I mean. The MSI Pro Z690-A costs below 200 now and handles that wattage fine... for quite a while, actually. So it is definitely possible.

200 is 100 more than 100 though, is there any $100 board that can take that much power constantly?

Reactions: -Fran-

There is no 13500k.
I forgot it was 13600K.

As for the rest, no. There's a reason they use the 13900K for the gaming benchmarks, whether you like it, agree with it, or not. It's a big selling point for Intel, or so their marketing team believes. I don't disagee that getting a 13900K or 7950X for gaming alone is stupid, but there's a big intersection and you shouldn't disregard that crowd. They want their CPUs to win in everything (well duh), so that's where their connondrum lies: they can't win with DDR4, even if their "value" is higher. This will be somewhat relevant in the middle tier of CPUs where the 13600K will fight the 7600X for gaming and not productivity, but then the spin will be "but the 13600K can do productivity!", LOL. Anyway, point is, the gaming tests are going to be interesting to see, that was the point, as DDR4 works only on the value part and not really performance. Specially if future titles will behave like Spiderman.

AMD boards need to go down and I'm sure AMD is very much aware of it. It'll be interesting to see how the 13600K pricing will skew things slightly.

Regards.

Reactions: martinch