News AMD's Budget-Friendly A520 Chipset Finally Comes To Town

EtaLasquera

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
Incredible! What'snew?
Support of current/future generations of Ryzen CPU/APU.
Disable support for past generations due to bios size limitations.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I just wish all manufacturers showed the max TDP supported for all boards, and possibly a recommended one. It's so common for a budget board to say it supports a 16-core Ryzen, but tests show it throttling hard in it.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Why waste a 16 core processor on a budget Mobo? At least get an A550.
If it fits, I chips, right? :p

I see it as a possible future upgrade path for a budget build. Like someone with an old i3-6100 could upgrade to an i7-7700k years later, saving the money of a new motherboard and new ram. I agree it's better to get a budget B550, but if they make the A520 compatible with the 16-core, then it should be usable, right?

I think is ok, after all no one should buy this kind of motherboard to use with a 12/16 core cpu + high end GPU.

If you have the money to buy that kind of CPU and GPU you can go up and get a decent B550 board.

This ones will work great for office/home theater PCs, even for building a lazy type esport games machines, to play on the couch using a wireless controller.

And I guess AMD will be able to withdraw the lame B550A chipset now.

Sounds like a good idea. A cheap board and nothing more than the basics.

Ryzen 3000 doesn't overclock amazingly, so you aren't missing out on much in that regard. PCIe 4.0 isn't all too important right now for video cards and let's face it, you aren't putting a pricey PCIe 4.0 SSD into a cheap system anyhow.