News AMD's Bugfix for Ryzen Stuttering Now Widely Available

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
"Out of the four most popular AM4 motherboard manufacturers, Gigabyte sits on top with the strongest support of the AGESA 1207 update. Only one A520 board does not have the update, and that's it. "

And of course I have an A520. Looks like mine has it though. Got worried. Looks like it's only the GA-A520I-DASH that doesn't have it yet.

Jun 14, 2022
I can't speak for all the others but all of gigabytes bios releases so far with AGESA 1.2.0.7 are betas (A letter after the version number denotes this) People are also still reporting the stutter despite having updated to the beta bios with AGESA 1.2.0.7 with their gigabyte motherboards.

I am personally waiting for a non beta release before I update my x570 aorus master to the latest bios version to see if some peoples claims that the fTPM stutter isnt fixed are true.

I think you made a typo in the article, all of the gigabyte bios releases for AGESA 1.2.0.7 are beta releases so far.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I broke down and found an actual TPM module that was flat (didn't hit the GPU, since it's directly under it), and while I had to run an official microcode update on the mobo from the manufacturer on an engineering, last minute-made pdf, it worked, but hopefully this makes it to everyone, it was indeed happening enough so that it did bother game timing while playing.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I had a faulty motherboard that wouldn't accept a newer bios update that was any newer than Aug 2021 without insta BSOD/shutting the pc off before the w10 login screen, or insta crashing/freezing the entire pc once the desktop loaded....bought a new b450 asus mobo and it accepted the new bios, although was still doing the random stuttering fps drop lagging crap in games...pulled CMOS, then it seemed to work and games have been better. Didn't really feel like spending a ton on a motherboard when am4 is EOL anyway

One thing that sucks is, my fps is about 30-40fps lower testing Fortnite, although, they did just have a total new map overhaul and season come out so it could very well be less optimized, I'm really unsure. It sucks not knowing 100% if it's an unoptimized game or if something is wrong elsewhere. Before, I was getting ~120-130fps on 1440p mostly epic settings with shadows set to high, except with the horrible random stuttering that was driving me mad since my 3700x, 32gb ram, and 3070 gaming pc is more than good enough for high refresh 1440p gaming. I did extensive testing for a long time testing different stuff out until Asus customer support told me about the Ryzen fTPM problem going around that I didn't even know about. I consider myself a techie compared to most people, but, don't really keep up with every little news story every day.

I'm assuming some w10 update messed with the fTPM stuff that started all this crap, since, games didn't used to stutter and lag. I'm not on w11, and don't plan on being on it begrudgingly until w10 support ends, have heard and read wayyyyy too many bad things about 11 to want to deal with that headache until a few more years have passed for them to iron out the problems. Weird that it only affected Ryzens apparently. If the new mobo and bios didn't fix stuff I was ready in a heartbeat to switch to a i5 12400 6 core 12 thread 12th gen intel, I never ended up streaming like I thought I would so the 3700x threads didn't really help me much. I'd wager even a 10th gen 6c/12t i5 would be fine for this whole PS5/Xbox Series X|S console gen. Streaming encoding can be offloaded to the gpu these days anyway too. Words truly cannot describe how much frustration and trouble this stuttering crap caused me. It really sucked not having a 2nd pc to test stuff on and troubleshoot. I guess I took having a modern (at the time) ddr3 secondary system in years prior for granted. I've now acquired enough parts to Frankenstein together a modern ddr4 secondary system.

Here's to hoping some other windows update doesn't mess something else up causing horrible stuttering despite strong pc specs. I sure miss the days of stone cold reliable set it and forget it Sandy/Ivy bridge on w7.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I had a faulty motherboard that wouldn't accept a newer bios update that was any newer than Aug 2021 without insta BSOD/shutting the pc off before the w10 login screen, or insta crashing/freezing the entire pc once the desktop loaded....bought a new b450 asus mobo and it accepted the new bios, although was still doing the random stuttering fps drop lagging crap in games...pulled CMOS, then it seemed to work and games have been better. Didn't really feel like spending a ton on a motherboard when am4 is EOL anyway

One thing that sucks is, my fps is about 30-40fps lower testing Fortnite, although, they did just have a total new map overhaul and season come out so it could very well be less optimized, I'm really unsure. It sucks not knowing 100% if it's an unoptimized game or if something is wrong elsewhere. Before, I was getting ~120-130fps on 1440p mostly epic settings with shadows set to high, except with the horrible random stuttering that was driving me mad since my 3700x, 32gb ram, and 3070 gaming pc is more than good enough for high refresh 1440p gaming. I did extensive testing for a long time testing different stuff out until Asus customer support told me about the Ryzen fTPM problem going around that I didn't even know about. I consider myself a techie compared to most people, but, don't really keep up with every little news story every day.

I'm assuming some w10 update messed with the fTPM stuff that started all this crap, since, games didn't used to stutter and lag. I'm not on w11, and don't plan on being on it begrudgingly until w10 support ends, have heard and read wayyyyy too many bad things about 11 to want to deal with that headache until a few more years have passed for them to iron out the problems. Weird that it only affected Ryzens apparently. If the new mobo and bios didn't fix stuff I was ready in a heartbeat to switch to a i5 12400 6 core 12 thread 12th gen intel, I never ended up streaming like I thought I would so the 3700x threads didn't really help me much. I'd wager even a 10th gen 6c/12t i5 would be fine for this whole PS5/Xbox Series X|S console gen. Streaming encoding can be offloaded to the gpu these days anyway too. Words truly cannot describe how much frustration and trouble this stuttering crap caused me. It really sucked not having a 2nd pc to test stuff on and troubleshoot. I guess I took having a modern (at the time) ddr3 secondary system in years prior for granted. I've now acquired enough parts to Frankenstein together a modern ddr4 secondary system.

Here's to hoping some other windows update doesn't mess something else up causing horrible stuttering despite strong pc specs. I sure miss the days of stone cold reliable set it and forget it Sandy/Ivy bridge on w7.

If you're in windows 10 and don't need an ftpm for anything (bitlocker, boot anti-malware, saving hardware keys for UEFI for some custom use case for example), just disable the fTPM.

On windows 11, that's another story altogether because you need it, and although you can turn it off after installing it, it defeats the FINALLY revealed security feature from ever working without a reinstall: https://www.techspot.com/news/94088-new-windows-11-security-feature-requires-clean-install.html

" Bugfix for Ryzen Stuttering Now Widely Available"

worthless, agesa 1.2.0.7 is crap for stablity and overclocks; most are just ignoring this crap agesa from AMD
Agree with you there.

For my Asus B550 Prime, my settings wouldn't allow all core clocks above 4.4ghz and max single core 4.75. Back on previous bios and now my 4.65 all core and 4.85ghz on one or two cores is back.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I very very highly suspect my performance has been crippled with this update as well, am going to rollback to the bios this mobo came with, tinker in the settings to disable TPM, and compare game results. On 1440p ultra dx11 (since game is very crash happy on dx12, although still crashes on dx11), the Division 2 was only getting....approx 80ish fps. Seems low for a few year old game with a 3070. I could perhaps try moving it to my ssd to see if it would improve frames any since they were lower than expected and it randomly had horrible outright 1fps lags when some chaotic firefights with enemies were happening. But, once again, Division 2 is known to be pretty buggy on pc. It really sucks not knowing 100% if it's a new game's updates causing performance issues that need to be ironed out (and pray that they are addressed by the company) or if it's this new bios. But.....I'm willing to troubleshoot and do process of elimination to test. I've read inklings of the new agesa update hampering performance all over online as well. I looked around a little before in my asus mobo bios, maybe they don't simply call it TPM with an on/off toggle, I'll have to hunt down what they call it. I hope going back to the old bios and disabling TPM will bring performance back while ALSO removing the horrible stuttering/lag/fps drops on an otherwise very stout 1440p gaming pc.

just very frustrating and sucks spending so much money on a good pc to have performance problems. Either this new bios, or, the new Fortnite season update crippled performance, getting 70-80s fps now when on the old bios and old season I was getting 120-130fps, albeit with the fTPM stutters. 70s-80s fps with DLSS set to performance seems horrible. I shutter to think about what my fps would be with DLSS turned off :O

Last edited: