News AMD's CPU and GPU Shipments to Reportedly Drop in 2023

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
I wonder how this may translate to market share, as a decline in global PC desktop and laptop market will of course not only affect AMD but Intel just as well.
Most importantly from the perspective of AMD: the growing server market is going to offset all potential losses on the PC market. This is quite significant, as AMD needs all the money they can get in order to invest in R&D and stay competitive on a technological level.

Also the other thing is that for a while amd effectively abandoned the low end of the market. The only new cpus they’ve had at the lower end lately have been the ryzen 5 series. Not that a lot of people on Tom’s would purchase those, but when you see reviews of Intel’s new i3 12100, and amd doesn’t seem to have an answer, it’s understandable.

If I were in that position of building a new pc and push came to shove on the budget, that would definitely be a consideration. If you could save for example 50 dollars there, that could be the price difference of a gtx 1650 and maybe a used rx 5600 or rtx 2060, or other parts. If you look up a guy called the good old gamer on YouTube, he’s got an interesting video on the 12100. It shows that parts that are low end today are better than parts from a few years ago that were the high end.

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
I am sorry, I cannot see AMD can gain any market share either in server or PC cpu, as Intel is having better product than AMD's. Like Intel's Raptor Lake, Meteor Lake and Sapphire Rapid and next gen are all better than AMD's product in 2023. Besides, Intel's graphic is starting to eat into both NVDA and AMD's market share. I do not see a pretty picture for AMD, I am sorry. From 2023 on, Intel will catch up with TSMC nm design, will be a fab leader again. that is what Intel announced before, Intel will be in the leadership roll starting from 2024, there is nothing AMD can do about it, since it is relying on TSMC.

I am sorry, I cannot see AMD can gain any market share either in server or PC cpu, as Intel is having better product than AMD's. Like Intel's Raptor Lake, Meteor Lake and Sapphire Rapid and next gen are all better than AMD's product in 2023. Besides, Intel's graphic is starting to eat into both NVDA and AMD's market share. I do not see a pretty picture for AMD, I am sorry. From 2023 on, Intel will catch up with TSMC nm design, will be a fab leader again. that is what Intel announced before, Intel will be in the leadership roll starting from 2024, there is nothing AMD can do about it, since it is relying on TSMC.
AMDs CPU share has been expanding since Ryzen has released. You are also try to say that intel's future products are better than AMDs future products which is pure speculation, wait for reviews before making wide sweeping generalizations. Intel "eating" into Nvidia's and AMD's graphics market is also nearly comical as their release was a complete flop in China, the only place we have even seen their Arc cards. More speculation but this time on TSMC's part falling behind Intel at an indeterminate point in the future. You should buy all the Intel stock you can if you are so sure in your crystal ball analysis of intel dominating every aspect of the computer world in 1-2 years before their stock goes up from its 5 year decline.

JarredWaltonGPU

Senior GPU Editor
Editor
I'll call it now, RX 7900 for $1999.99, 7700 for $1000, and 7500 for $750.
Nope. What do I get when your prices are completely wrong? 7900 XT, if it's substantially faster (30% or more) than the RX 6950 XT, might be able to sell for $1500. A 7700 XT, even if it's 50% faster than the 6700 XT, won't officially cost more than maybe $600, and will probably still end up at around $500 MSRP. And the RX 7500, when it launches in 18 months, will be a $200-$250 part at most. Also, you missed the RX 7800 XT, which will land around $750, plus or minus $50. That's my guesses at any rate.

Also the other thing is that for a while amd effectively abandoned the low end of the market. The only new cpus they’ve had at the lower end lately have been the ryzen 5 series. Not that a lot of people on Tom’s would purchase those, but when you see reviews of Intel’s new i3 12100, and amd doesn’t seem to have an answer, it’s understandable.

If I were in that position of building a new pc and push came to shove on the budget, that would definitely be a consideration. If you could save for example 50 dollars there, that could be the price difference of a gtx 1650 and maybe a used rx 5600 or rtx 2060, or other parts. If you look up a guy called the good old gamer on YouTube, he’s got an interesting video on the 12100. It shows that parts that are low end today are better than parts from a few years ago that were the high end.

yea sad they don't have a low end ryzen right now. And yea the i3's of today are yesterdays i'7s of only 3-4 years ago. that is also thanks to Ryzen. Without Ryzen we would still probably be on 4 cores 8 threads on i7.

D

Deleted member 431422

Not fond of the analysts. I'm looking forward to Zen4 in desktop and I'm definately buying it once there's an APU better than 5600G available. I need to see which mother to buy though B650 or X670 though. With ZEN AMD restored my faith in their products and with APU's they gained a client. Neither nVidia or Intel have anything to compete.

You do realize if it wasn't for Ryzen, Intel would NOT be where it is today. Had AMD not come out with a CPU that finally put it back on the market and is now giving Intel a run for its money.

Now the thing is what i hate is Intel and AMD don't release at the same time. its like 6 months apart. The thing is the next gen is almost always faster than the other that just release 6 months ago. And honestly to me seeing 5-10% performance increase on intel over AMD or AMD over Intel is just what ever. 90% of users of those PC's will NEVER see that performance difference. Oh I can get 178 frames and I get 185 Frames! Well if you don't have a 240 hz variable refresh rate monitor you are never going to even see that! and ever with 240 i doubt you will see that.

You don't know the future, I don't know the future. My last 3 CPU's have been AMD. FX 8320, Ryzen 5 3600, and now a 5600X (3600 went to new server). You better hope AMD can keep up because if Intel goes unchecked again you will just have another 14nm+++++ on your hands.

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014

What an excessively biased comment. While the 'Intel is Better' thing that so many enthusiasts like to blather may or may not apply on the desktop now and in the future depending on how you look at it, I'm not sure that applies to servers. If Intel manage to get slightly better performance than the latest EPYC but only by using twice the power, it will not be a great success because, in large servers, power efficiency is likely more important than outright performance when multi-threading (the thing most servers are intended for).

I guess we'll see for sure when SPR is finally released, but I suspect there's a good reason AMD processors are lately occupying so many spots in the TOP500 ...

Reactions: ottonis
I think AMD knows DDR5 is way too expensive and they, until now/recently, never considered to keep supporting AM4, so backporting Zen4 to AM4 is going to take them at least half a year to a year. They can cut Zen4 for AM5 and try to keep using 6nm in a mix of Zen3+ and Zen4 for AM4 and mobile (I can't remember the socket name). As for Server, I'd imagine all big clients are thinking businesses will cut back a bit on expansion during the recession (sensible assumption, not always right) and slow down growth, so both AMD and Intel could be impacted; AMD would be more, as it's been depending on more new designs than current infrastructure replacement/upgrade cycles

All in all, I think AMD read the room and if they also try to attack the lower end first, then they'll survive the storm approaching, because make no mistake: a recession will hit Europe pretty darn soon and the USA is in no much better shape. So, brace for impact :)

Regards.

Intel "eating" into Nvidia's and AMD's graphics market is also nearly comical as their release was a complete flop in China, the only place we have even seen their Arc cards.
If you have sales numbers for how much of a FLOP the launch was then please share with the group, otherwise how is your speculation better then that of the other poster?!

D

Deleted member 14196

I never listen to analysts because they don’t know what they’re talking about. Seriously they seriously do not know what they are talking about especially MBA or finance majors they should be completely ignored because they are completely ignorant

Do you want to know who I listen to? Engineers and scientists and that’s it

Start watching Sandy Munro from Munro associates on YouTube and you’ll realize what I’m talking about. Business finance and MBA majors have been a plague upon the world

This story is nothing more than Clickbait. I am so tired of this speculation based on stupid assumptions

I never listen to analysts because they don’t know what they’re talking about. Seriously they seriously do not know what they are talking about especially MBA or finance majors they should be completely ignored because they are completely ignorant

Do you want to know who I listen to? Engineers and scientists and that’s it

Start watching Sandy Munro from Munro associates on YouTube and you’ll realize what I’m talking about. Business finance and MBA majors have been a plague upon the world

This story is nothing more than Clickbait. I am so tired of this speculation based on stupid assumptions
Maybe it's on me for not understanding but how are Engineers and Scientists qualified for market research/analysis?
Or are you saying that people should just ignore market research/analysis all together?

hannibal

Distinguished
I think AMD knows DDR5 is way too expensive and they, until now/recently, never considered to keep supporting AM4, so backporting Zen4 to AM4 is going to take them at least half a year to a year. They can cut Zen4 for AM5 and try to keep using 6nm in a mix of Zen3+ and Zen4 for AM4 and mobile (I can't remember the socket name). As for Server, I'd imagine all big clients are thinking businesses will cut back a bit on expansion during the recession (sensible assumption, not always right) and slow down growth, so both AMD and Intel could be impacted; AMD would be more, as it's been depending on more new designs than current infrastructure replacement/upgrade cycles

All in all, I think AMD read the room and if they also try to attack the lower end first, then they'll survive the storm approaching, because make no mistake: a recession will hit Europe pretty darn soon and the USA is in no much better shape. So, brace for impact :)

Regards.

That is too expensive to do! Most likely we see some low end limited supply 4 core low bin products and maybe new 3d cache chips, but I doubt that.
AM5 will be those who has lot of money. AM4 will become low end option. Maybe we even get new low end 4 core apu to AM4 to those who need cheap computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: renz496
That is too expensive to do! Most likely we see some low end limited supply 4 core low bin products and maybe new 3d cache chips, but I doubt that.
AM5 will be those who has lot of money. AM4 will become low end option. Maybe we even het new low end 4 core apu to AM4 to those who need cheap computer.
Backporting Zen4's CCX'es to AM4's Zen3 I/O die is cheaper than re-designing everything in a monolithic die, for sure. I can't say you're wrong, but I can't say I'm that off the mark either. Somewhere in-between both and AMD just needs to analyze if (perhaps a big one) the risk and business opportunity justifies doing it. To check that we just need to compare how much Alder Lake has sold in terms of DDR5 platforms vs DDR4. I'll venture a guess and say 5:1 in favour of DDR4.

Regards.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Total BS...really, don't even believe it. AMD is launching very compelling products later in the year....;)Sounds very much like Northland is one year behind the curve...;) Also sounds like the kind of negative scuttlebutt AMD's competitors would pay to have circulated--that kind of thing often happens on Wall Street. It's a common thing.

Reactions: ottonis

cynan

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
1. Retail GPU sales will definitely be more competitive in 2023. Lower prices for RTX 4000 and AMD 7000 are all but assured.

2. There is nothing to suggest AMD will loose all that much revenue, if any, over all, just because of decreased demand in retail. AMD has done a great job of positioning wafer resources to get the highest return, whether that means directing more to server and datacentre vs retail, etc, as demand and clients shift. AMD has also been working hard to keep drumming up custom demand with datacenter clients, facilitated by Xinlinx.

3. Intel has been having a bit more trouble delivering their roadmap on time than AMD or NVDA in recent years... Yes, Intel could suddenly start executing product launches and availability better, whe also having superior products, but for many product categories, this remains to be seen. Might as well keep betting on AMD for now until evidence of otherwise.