AMD's CPU vs APU

yaboymystic

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hey!
I recently bought an apu and it wasn't operating with windows smoothly.
I'm just asking If I buy a cpu, Will it work more efficiently with windows? Or will it just operate the same as the APU.

Solution
You've not said anything that didn't make sense to me.

Your CPU is probably not responsible for causing things to load or respond slowly, unless it's overheating. It's not a very good CPU (somewhat equivalent to a midrange Intel chip from ~2009) but that would likely only show up in very heavy usage, not in light tasks like web browsing and general desktop usage.

Try downloading AMD's Overdrive, and tell us what your "thermal margin" is on your CPU:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

Thermal margin is kindof the opposite of temperature. It's how close to are to overheating, so any number larger than 0 is good.

What's most likely causing your slowdowns is either a software...
I assume you have a socket FM2+ motherboard. The "CPUs" available for your socket are identical to the APUs, they just have the integrated graphics disabled. So, no, they won't be any better.

However, AMD's socket FM2+ chips are all extremely slow by today's standards. You would probably benefit from moving to one of Intel's chips, or (if you have deeper pockets) AMD's new AM4 platform.

That said, it's more likely that you're using a spinning hard drive, rather than a solid state drive, for Windows. These tends to have an even larger impact on day-to-day use than the CPU.

Personally using one of those processors without the integrated graphics (x4 760k). With normal everyday tasks, eg. web browsing, media playback, word processing, spreadsheets, it runs fine.

Depends on what particular issues you're having with Windows as to whether there is a software or hardware problem, or perhaps even a mismatch in performance expectation.

yaboymystic

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hey Guys, This is my parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tGFrnn <--- The storage is not in there, because I recently switched hard drives and I forgot what it was.

The problem is that When I open any program It will take a long time to load or not respond, And My PC is very slow even though It's completely brand new.

What should I do?

You've not said anything that didn't make sense to me.

Your CPU is probably not responsible for causing things to load or respond slowly, unless it's overheating. It's not a very good CPU (somewhat equivalent to a midrange Intel chip from ~2009) but that would likely only show up in very heavy usage, not in light tasks like web browsing and general desktop usage.

Try downloading AMD's Overdrive, and tell us what your "thermal margin" is on your CPU:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

Thermal margin is kindof the opposite of temperature. It's how close to are to overheating, so any number larger than 0 is good.

What's most likely causing your slowdowns is either a software issue - malware, or just some misbehaving programs running in the background - or a really slow hard drive. If you could find the hard drive model that would be useful.

Do you have a lot of programs that start up with your PC? Generally, any "utilities" intended to speed things up often do the opposite. Windows 10 is generally best left alone.

Solution