News AMD's Encoder Tweaks Rival Nvidia, But Intel's AV1 Reigns Supreme

Just to make the point again: comparing AV1 to H264 when H265 exists for both AMD and nVidia is not a fair or good match. Also, Twitch doesn't support AV1 yet (that I know if; happy to be wrong) and YT has it in beta IIRC (although, Google has everything in beta until they kill it xD).

It is definitely nice to see more tweaks from AMD to up the quality of encoding for sure, but you know I've been testing this as well and CPU H264 gets eerily close to H265 and AV1 when tuned properly in terms of quality at the same-ish compression quality (I test at 6mbps, since that's Twitch's limit), albeit at the expense of a lot of CPU performance (depending on the tuning). Also, H265 does look good as well, but I'll concede it is worse than software AV1. And on that note, software AV1 is impressive for sure, but the penalty is huge. It hits way harder than H264 via software, but it definitely looks better hands down. I'll be most curious to see what AMD and nVidia accomplish when they introduce their AV1 HW encoders.

Regards.

Reactions: bit_user and prtskg

Giroro

Splendid
"For the uninitiated, AMF is AMD's latest GPU hardware H.264 encoder built into its latest GPUs, such as the RX 6000 series for encoding videos or recording/streaming live gameplay. It is effectively AMD's counter to Nvidia's NVENC encoder. "

To be clear, source code for an SDK on github and hardware baked into a GPU are absolutely not the same thing.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Giroro

Splendid
"To quickly recap, the AV1 encoder built into Intel's new Arc discrete GPUs outperformed both Nvidia's NVENC encoder and AMD AMF by a whopping 16% in real-time gaming tests.

That might not sound like a lot, but compared to the 1-2% performance gains from adding B-Frames and Pre-Analysis to AMF, it's a night and day difference. As a result, there is no doubt its behavior would remain the same, with performance results nowhere near that of Intel's AV1 encoder."

What does outperform by 16% even mean when the scale has a baseline of 94/100?
94% + 16% = 110%

Reactions: bit_user

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
What does outperform by 16% even mean when the scale has a baseline of 94/100?
94% + 16% = 110%

the sentence didn't explained wich tests were performed. maybe it was the netflix test that you mentionned with a 94 score, maybe it was another test

Also, generaly, when in an article you see "X is 16% faster than Y", its does not mean that you add 16 points to the score. it means that the difference between the scores is 16%

Reactions: bit_user and prtskg