AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Microsoft earnings: 98 cents a share vs 71 cents EPS expected
Analysts are expecting 71 cents in earnings per share, according to Thomson Reuters.
The earnings report comes as Microsoft intensifies focus on its cloud business.
Jordan Novet | @jordannovet
2 Mins Ago
CNBC.com
"In its earnings statements Microsoft doesn't provide exact revenue for Azure, but the company does talk about Azure under the commercial cloud heading. Microsoft's commercial cloud "strength should continue as unit and pricing trends remain positive," Stifel analysts Brad Reback and Adam Borg noted earlier this week, providing an estimate of an $18 billion annualized revenue run rate. That estimation would imply the figure has more than doubled in the past two years."
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/microsoft-earnings-q4-2017.html

This could be good news for Epyc!

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Intel 12 core Sky-X clocks at 2.9GHz, PATHETIC

They can't go higher w/o burning it, and same for 14, 16, 18 yet to be released.

Threadripper is the unchallenged Winner

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
"EPYC is slower, hotter, and scales worse." wrong, wrong, and wrong, and the benches prove it.

I see you fell for that Barclay Blayne Curtis downgrade on EPYC CPU with "no traction", for EPYC CPUs that aren't even available until 2nd half of this year; what a total disingenuous statement.

I did not fall for it, and I added 5300 shares Tuesday morning immediately following the downgrade at $13.29.

Only suckers and blinded by denial Intel fanboys like you believed him; look how quick it turned around, while INTC falters.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From the report:

After the launch of both Purley and Epyc and seeing third party benchmarks for both, we believe the rubber is meeting the road and gain conviction Epyc will not gain enough traction to support current valuation. We have conducted regular channel checks since the fall and are still hearing little to no material traction at the ODMs, which is the ultimate gauge of success. This corroborates feedback from our last trip to Asia in March (see March 2017 Asia Trip Takeaways, 16 Mar 2017), when we heard there was little demand from hyperscale customers outside of some limited interest in China. We do hear of some interest from OEMs such as HP and Dell but would add 1) OEMs having a sku does not mean demand is there and 2) Enterprises typically take a year plus to evaluate chips and likely longer in this case given the new design for AMD and lack of ecosystem.

EPYC CPUs have been available to the big datancenter guys and integrators for months. Those have tested and benchmarked EPYC by themselves and have rejected it. This is what the analyst means when he writes that EPYC has "little to no material traction" or "little demand". Many people that tested the chip is not ordering.

I have known some of those benches and tests since May. Precisely the quote ""EPYC is slower, hotter, and scales worse" which I wrote in the past, comes from one of those guys that played with EPYC months ago.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Precisely the article reflects what is happening in reality. And the Anandtech review is wrong, as has been demonstrated in posts above in this same thread. Both Skylake and Broadwell Xeons are crippled in that review.

On March 2016's Broadwell-EP review, E5-2699v4 scored 33.3 on 403.gcc.

On the July 2017 Skylake-SP vs EPYC review, E5-2699v4 scores 23.7 on 403.gcc.

The same Broadwell Xeon is running 41% slower now.

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

"the Anadtech review is wrong, the Ryzen market share increase is a conspiracy, Ryzen won't be any good, ARM servers are selling like hotcakes instead of EPYC"

Wow you are pulling out all stops, Intel really got you and everyone else working overtime. Maybe they should have had their designers working overtime, or maybe the Principal Designer that just left the sinking ship that is Intel.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235385/francois-piednoel-quits-intel

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

but not for AMD, latency only higher at large blocks where higher memory BW for EPYC over SP more than makes up for it. Small data EPYC wins, large data EPYC wins.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Some few links supporting my claims:

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/08/qualcomm-microsoft-team-arm-servers/

As SemiAccurate has been saying for a while now, ARM servers are real, have real customers with big volumes, and are pressing Intel to the wall. These customers, one for the moment, can now be publicly quantified as Microsoft and large volumes with real world applications where they trounce Intel on certain key metrics. You are seeing the beginning of the slippery slope people, pay attention because it only speeds up from here.

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/13/second-megadatacenter-goes-heavily-arm-cpus/

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/14/third-huge-datacenter-falls-arm-servers/

I also know a pair of ARM wins and three for Skylake-SP in the HPC market, AMD and EPYC have got zero...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There is no "rumor" tag. They are industry insider articles. with real data on real purchases. The same than the HPC win designs mentioned are real, (one of the clusters is being build at the time of writing this) whereas EPYC got none still.

Latency measurements on EPYC (single socket) vs 4P Intel

AMD-EPYC-Infinity-Fabric-on-Package-v-Intel-4P-8180-UPI-Latency.jpg

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
AMD spikes after earnings beat
Business Insider
Seth Archer
July 25, 2017
"Advanced Micro Devices reported its second-quarter results after Tuesday's closing bell.

The company posted adjusted earnings of $0.02 per share on revenue of $1.22 billion. Both were ahead of Wall Street expectations as analysts were looking for earnings of $0.001 per share on revenue of $1.16 billion.

AMD has a record of beating Wall Street’s expectations. For the last eight quarters, AMD has exceeded Wall Street expectations.

AMD has received a boost from cryptocurrency mining this year. Bitcoin and Ethereum have both exploded in value, and miners hoping to grab a share of these currencies have been buying up graphics processing units in droves from AMD and rival Nvidia.

Ahead of the report, millennial investors on the Robinhood platform have been selling shares more often than buying them, according to data from the company.

AMD shares are up about 8% post-earnings, and 35% this year."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/comes-amd-earnings-195900678.html

Remember that AMD went though a period where they basically missed Wall Street's expectations for nearly two-three years, which coincided with AMDs stock price loosing significant value. What you're seeing right now is Wall Street basically lowballing AMD, and AMD beating those very lowballed numbers.

The concern I have remains the same: AMD isn't making enough money to cover it's long-term debt obligations. While stable at the moment, there's still over $2 Billion AMD needs to figure out how to pay off.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Oh, I agree margins are too high, and I would never just invest in this company for the long term! But as a day trader it's a nice slow moving stock that is highly volatile and moves great on speculation. Depending on how 7nm and epyc do I can see this go as high as $20 on speculation by 2020.

I got in on AMD at $1.70. I got out just before the Ryzen launch, at $14.75. There's literally ZERO reason to touch AMD stock right now; it's too volatile, and doesn't really have much more room to grow upward. If anything, the stock is overpriced relative to AMDs financial situation.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

They continue loosing money. They lose $16M, this quarter. The problem is that those quarter numbers are a result of cryptocurrency mining increasing seasonal demand of GPUs, not because of RyZen sales.

AMD has been stuck around the breakeven level for a while, but the new Ryzen chips launched as early as March didn’t really help the company much so far. That’s the bad news.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/25/amd-demand-graphics-chips/
https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/25/amd-posts-a-small-q2-loss-despite-its-most-competitive-chips-in-a-decade/

A lot of non-miners have been trying to get a hold of AMD's midrange cards and can't. The real question is, when the current crypto craze dies out and a flood of cheap used (and tortured) cards hit the market, how many people will buy them over a new card? I wouldn't touch a former 24/7 mining card with a 10' anti-static pole.

Do remember a lot of those cards are underclocked/undervolted though, so in that respect they're attractive as short-term upgrades on the cheap.