AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The 3800X is a "gap-filler". They need something to bridge the price jump from the 3700X to the 3900X, or they would have no way to justify the price. The 3950X would be a halo product, so they're capable of asking for the outrageous $750 and given how Intel just has nothing near it.

I'm pretty damn sure, technically, the difference between the 3700X and 3800X is merely artificial. Not even binning.

Cheers!

Peltier coolers should make a comeback as well!

I should try this since I have a few peliter modules around.
Used one side to cool drinks and the other side was attached to a stock FX heatsync, the only good use for anything relating to FX lol.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm pretty damn sure, technically, the difference between the 3700X and 3800X is merely artificial. Not even binning.
Given how Ryzen has basically no overclocking headroom beyond XFR boost, I'd say binning is very much a thing. Doubt we'll be seeing many 3700X beating the 3800X on the same HSF and power draw - at least not until TSMC has refined its 7nm some more, which will take severa.

Without the 3800X, the 3900X could have taken its place at ~$450 and the 3950X would have been the 3900X part. Each 100 model number bump corresponding to a core count increase. There was no need for AMD to launch the current 3800X solely for lineup padding purposes.

Peltier coolers should make a comeback as well!
Hope that was sarcasm, those things are grossly inefficient under meaningful loads and temperature differentials of more than a few degrees. These were already marginally practical in the days of ~30W CPUs, going to be hopeless on 90W ones unless you mean to budget 300+W for the TECs.

Reactions: goldstone77

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Der8Auer's results show rather remarkable how temperature imroves overclocking potential well into sub-zero (LN2) region.

Will phase change cooling make a comeback on the desktop I wonder?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXbCdGENp5I&t=79s

These are the frequencies he says he can hit with these chips. Der8auer works for Asus, and I bet he is using an Asus motherboard. There were issues with the bios for Asus, and I think a couple other boards involving boost not working. I don't know how big the changes are, but Anandtech was affected and they are having to run all their tests again.
Read what the Stilt said about this issue, and how mad he is.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Best RAM kit among these for Zen 2,
G.SKILL Sniper X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 Desktop Memory F4-3600C19D-16GSXKB priced @ 105 dollars

G.SKILL Trident Z Series 16GB (2x8GB) 3200 MHz DDR4 Memory F4-3200C15D-16GTZ priced @ 145 dollars
G.SKILL Trident Z Series 8GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz DDR4 Memory F4-3600C16D-16GTZ
priced @ 195 dollars
G.SKILL 16GB (8GBX2) DDR4 - 3600 MHZ TRIDENT Z RGB F4-3600C17D-16GTZR priced @ 168 dollars
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Memory F4-3600C15D-16GTZ priced @ 225 dollars

RAM prices based on my region.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Reactions: DMAN999

jdwii

Splendid
I have no idea why anyone would go above 3600mhz as it kills your latency luckily i have my 3600mhz B-die memory ready to go at 15 timings actually set at that now with my 2700X while i wait for the 3700X to show up on amazon newegg has them in stock but waiting for amazon or even walmart lol

jdwii

Splendid
I read Anandtech and Toms reviews and gamers nexus reviews for detailed analysis, however when it comes to just wanting to know the numbers and not caring why I will forever always love Techpowerup

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/22.html

Just a nice quick summery 3700X review

Three reasons why Amd is behind in games
Memory Latency It's bad like almost 2 times the latency vs 9900K
Latency between CCX's
Pure Frequency

Zen 3 should try everything to fix these things and keep core count the same

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Memory Latency It's bad like almost 2 times the latency vs 9900K
Latency between CCX's
Zen 3 should try everything to fix these things and keep core count the same
Latency is inherent to having multiple tiers of separation between resources since each tier adds the overhead of one more layer of aggregation and arbitration on the interface between tiers. If you want to reduce latency, you have to flatten the architecture, which comes with its own set of caveats: a wider flatter interconnect will use more die area and run at lower frequencies.

We might see AMD decide to go ring-bus or mesh within chiplets to reduce overall latency.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Concentrating on improving one aspect of the architecture will have some pros & cons, in this iteration AMD concentrated more on IPC & power consumption, were they clearly excel but the latency and clock speed are the departments which is in its early stage of the new architecture. We might see some good improvements in the next iteration of Ryzen.

jdwii

Splendid
Latency is inherent to having multiple tiers of separation between resources since each tier adds the overhead of one more layer of aggregation and arbitration on the interface between tiers. If you want to reduce latency, you have to flatten the architecture, which comes with its own set of caveats: a wider flatter interconnect will use more die area and run at lower frequencies.

We might see AMD decide to go ring-bus or mesh within chiplets to reduce overall latency.

I agree with you i never gave any ways to how to lower Dram latency for Ryzen besides getting the best DDR4 3600mhz kit you can get.

Those are the 3 issues with Zen 2 and it really only effects games. I showed Dolphin benchmark anyone who knows anything about IPC+Frequency knows that 100% relates with Dolphin that and AVX support.

Zen 2 IPC is amazing it's not instructions per cycle holding it back that i'm more then sure they are ahead of intel in i mean the 3700X=9900K in productivity with way lower clock rates 5ghz on the 9900K turbo vs 4.4ghz on the 3700X.

Is AMD actually shipping any 3800x ?? Didn't manage to see any proper testing and any store that has them in stock. 3700x and 3800x seem to have same relation as 1700x and 1800x had, the later one being just a higher bin of former.
I already have a very good working 2700x at 4.35GHz OC and over 4.3GHz up to 4 cores when on PBO2 and 3700x wouldn't be much of a jump, so 3800x would be a logical choice while 3900x too much (money wise).

InvalidError

Titan
There are some verified owners on Newegg. Why no tests done i was thinking the same.
Most reviewers don't review CPUs and GPUs unless the manufacturer/vendor provides review samples and with the amount of testing reviewers didn't have time to do for launch, they have plenty of follow-up testing to do before bothering with hunting down their own CPUs to do benchmarks on chips they didn't get for launch.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most reviewers don't review CPUs and GPUs unless the manufacturer/vendor provides review samples and with the amount of testing reviewers didn't have time to do for launch, they have plenty of follow-up testing to do before bothering with hunting down their own CPUs to do benchmarks on chips they didn't get for launch.

Yeah i suppose, or Amd wanted to showcase 3900x more. 3800x is looking like it's going to be more popular.

In other news, some interesting numbers for memory escaling of the 3900X in Linux:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-3900x-ram&num=1

From that, looks like any RAM speed above 2933Mhz should be "enough" for Ryzen 3K to perform within it's 95% capability? Since the Ry3900X is dual-chiplet (triple counting I/O?) maybe it's hiding some of the memory latency/bandwidth due to the intra-cores communication? This is to say, I wonder if these are valid for the Ry3700X and other single-chiplet CPUs.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
3800x is looking like it's going to be more popular.
Can't imagine why people would be rushing to pay $70 more for a marginally faster CPU. If you wrote that based on current Amazon rankings with wacky pricing, wait for prices to settle down before drawing conclusions. The 3800X is currently #7, behind the 2600 at #1, 3600X at #2, 2600X at #4 and 2700X at #5. The 3600X is the current leader for 3rd-gen sales.

Jacked-up prices usually indicate there may be initial shortage issues, can't really judge popularity by shipments while sales are constrained by supply since this means sales are being dictated by supply rather than demand - people buy whatever they can get their hands on when their preferred part is out of stock... and AMD has a vested interest in stocking their more expensive SKUs first.

Im buying a 3600 as soon as i can. $199 is basically giving them away. 8700k percormance for like $150 less.

I might try to find a tray version without a cooler for less money since i already have a freezer 34

Unfortunately msi removed the 3rd gen bios for my b350 board from there website. But i have it already downloaded.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can't imagine why people would be rushing to pay $70 more for a marginally faster CPU. If you wrote that based on current Amazon rankings with wacky pricing, wait for prices to settle down before drawing conclusions. The 3800X is currently #7, behind the 2600 at #1, 3600X at #2, 2600X at #4 and 2700X at #5. The 3600X is the current leader for 3rd-gen sales.

Jacked-up prices usually indicate there may be initial shortage issues, can't really judge popularity by shipments while sales are constrained by supply since this means sales are being dictated by supply rather than demand - people buy whatever they can get their hands on when their preferred part is out of stock... and AMD has a vested interest in stocking their more expensive SKUs first.

Na didn't go by any rankings, just seeing 3700x performs similar to 3900x in games for $130 less (newegg), for 30$ more for an 3800x over the 3700x it's interesting to see where 3800x ends up. But you're right, too early to tell since just about all of them are sold out.