AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 105 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
RAM isn't a major problem with 3rd-gen, lack of A/B500-series motherboards and lack of clearly identified older-gen boards with out-of-the-box compatibility is, much like it was for 2nd-gen. The beta-state of launch-week BIOSes (three AGESA updates in one week) and AMD wanting to stop board manufacturers from enabling PCIe 4.0 support on older-gen boards doesn't help with inspiring confidence either.

Months ago in this thread, I wrote that I'd upgrade to 3rd-gen if rumors turned out to be true. Rumored pricing turned out to be off by a whole tier and I lost interest - not enough bang-per-buck for me to bother with. Since AM4 will be EOL next year and AMD is more interested in inflating profits than pressuring Intel, I'll most likely skip to AM5 (brand-new socket designed from the ground up with chiplets and 20+Gbps HSIO in mind) before considering AMD again. (And I'm not considering Intel either until 10nm+ or better goes mainstream.)
I understand. You simply want and expect a next gen platform (CPU + motherboard) that is truly revolutionary in design and pricing (similar to advancements made 2 decades ago), with no launch flaws whatsoever, where the designer essential disregards previous market segmentation for a new model, regardless whether it is from Intel or AMD. If I sound sarcastic or rude, I'm honestly not trying to be, in fact I would applaud you sticking to your guns and being able to wait like that cause if I had money, I would be upgrading right now. If I had your patience, I would probably do the same.

Happy being relative. Most people don't have spare older same-socket CPUs lying around and end up in a smelly creek without a paddle when they combine a new-gen CPU with a new older-gen board. Where the "upgrade path" is concerned, a four years socket lifespan isn't going to mean much when most people go more than five years between upggrades.
MSI board starting at around $80 dont need an old cpu to update bios for new cpu.

Even if you dont have an old cpu lying around for bios updating, you dont need them. for both 2nd and 3rd gen AMD has provided boot kits. Inconvenient? Yes.

There are plenty of people that buy a lower end cpu with the intent to upgrade soon.

InvalidError

Titan
I understand. You simply want and expect a next gen platform (CPU + motherboard) that is truly revolutionary in design and pricing (similar to advancements made 2 decades ago), with no launch flaws whatsoever, where the designer essential disregards previous market segmentation for a new model, regardless whether it is from Intel or AMD.
Not so much revolutionary as simply catching up a bit with how far behind the curve we have fallen. As for "perfection", I'd expect at least production-level readiness out of the box from a production product instead of something that require multiple fixes in the first week because the company values hitting an arbitrary launch date more than making sure the product and related infrastructure (motherboards) are ready for actual launch. Three AGESA updates in the first week strongly indicate that Ryzen 3 launched at least one week too soon.

jdwii

Splendid
I'm still using an i5-3470, thought I'd give 3rd-gen a chance but scrapped that idea since AMD failed to clean up its launch-week act yet again. I have built a Ryzen 1700X system for a friend of a friend two years ago, ran into the dreadful memory compatibility issue and cannot be bothered to risk repeating the experience for myself until AMD achieves a clean launch.

At this point, I'm not expecting AMD to produce anything I'd be confident upgrading to until AM5, by which time my i5 will be nearly 10 years old. At that rate, that isn't many PCs even over a whole lifetime and I bet I'm far from being the only one on a 7+ years PC upgrade cycle thanks to how much slower price-performance is improving compared to what it used to be 10+ years ago. Unless one of my PCs blows up or there is a paradigm shift in the PC space calling for a drastic increase in household processing power, I'm at most three PCs from retirement.

Been without power for almost 5 days wanted to say that Amd is trustworthy and Intel had plenty of issues to before at launch as did Amd with the Phenom

jdwii

Splendid
Zen+ is still picky on RAM, albeit significantly less so than first-gen. That aside, the greatest 'flaw' of them all is I'm still happy enough with my i5, which means I am under no pressure whatsoever to accept any compromise on what I'm going to upgrade to yet.

Another thing that bugs me about 3rd-gen is how AMD is threatening to take PCIe4 away from board manufacturers who did their own qualification on 400-series boards. I wasn't planning to buy 400-series for 3rd-gen but it still pisses me off on principle. What board manufacturers qualify their boards for is none of AMD's business.

I remember when Intel wanted people to go to bestbuy to upgrade their CPU using a card and board manufactures were allowing it with just a option made Intel pretty mad

jdwii

Splendid
Finally got my 3700X and boy is the bios for my x370 Taichi a joke and i'm using the latest from the engineers at Asrock.

I have faith that in a few weeks everything will be more stable.

Also yeah having issues boosting to a full 4.4ghz it's only going to 4.35ghz and not as often as my 2700x did at least not on Amd high Performance power plan.

Take a look below i love being a guinea pig so i don't mind running on a beta bios.

https://i.postimg.cc/QXNyVCRh/post-img.png

Still have to get my ram stable i tried my xmp profile on my samsung b-die and i had to jump my board as it didn't fix itself after it failed(ah good old days).

Once i get my ram at around 3200+ i will run benchmarks and post them here and we can all take a look at X370+3700X in terms of performance.

jdwii

Splendid
1.48v? Are those readings correct?

You may be pushing the CPU too hard, jdwii; careful.

Cheers!

It's safe as that voltage is wrong, Robert Hallock said so only CPU-Z and i think Ryzen master see's the correct voltage.

Adding more benchmarks later like Dolphin and so on. Please if anyone wants any CPU benchmarks just ask!

EDIT temps

3700X runs a tad bit warmer then a 2700X despite being more efficient however after a day of gaming my CPU's max temp is down below also note how boost isn't working 100% perfect yet with AM4 1.0.0.3. However it's not that big of a deal. Also note temps are only like 10C higher then a 2700x.

https://i.postimg.cc/4fYjKPwQ/Capture.png

As a side note my AIO temp is lower lol and i'm using NT-H2 and a rice size amount.

7nm i really can't wait to see if Intel can get to 5ghz at the same temps or lower using 10nm something tells me NO

Last edited:

jdwii

Splendid
OK that was super freaking easy it seems that with Ryzen 3000 series and my board i need to use A1+B1 not A2+B2 i got my ram to work at the xmp profile.

Not sure if its 100% stable yet but I will be testing it soon i require 1500% coverage in memtest before i declare my ram stable.

Edit new scores with 3600mhz memory at 16-15-15-35-50 timings

Geekbench 4 now reads at 5,756 single core and 34,365 multicore
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14035108

R15
https://i.postimg.cc/2zynH93R/R15-memory-at-XMP.png

R20 scores went down a little meaning more tweaking needs to be done
https://i.postimg.cc/F9C8q6Zj/R20-XMP.png

Low voltage on idle without nothing open but CPU-Z
https://i.postimg.cc/YrmnPCjH/image.png

Drops to 0.8V as intended again hwinfo64 doesn't read voltage right.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Does the infinity fabric go to 2:1 ratio when memory clock exceeds 3600 or 3733Mhz??

Some say 3600 others say 3733 which is correct and optimal?

New Ryzen CPU's incoming the non x 3700 & 3900 also probably oem specific 3500.

jdwii

Splendid
Does the infinity fabric go to 2:1 ratio when memory clock exceeds 3600 or 3733Mhz??

Some say 3600 others say 3733 which is correct and optimal?

New Ryzen CPU's incoming the non x 3700 & 3900 also probably oem specific 3500.

After you go past 3733mhz just now started playing with Ryzen master after toms latest article saying Amd ships these chips without the cores being able to hit the advertised turbo only 1 core has too. For example in my chip core 2 is the fastest.

jdwii

Splendid
Ryzen Performance power plan selected on Windows 1903 using the latest bios and chipset driver.
3700X

Ryzen Performance power plan selected on Windows 1903 using the latest bios and chipset driver.
Cinebench R15 PBO on
Temps stayed below 75C in all runs
Frequency and voltage was gathered from Ryzen master
4.275Ghz 1 core load 1.5V
4.25Ghz 2 cores load 1.456V
4.2Ghz 4 cores load 1.44V
4.175Ghz 6 cores load 1.41V
4.15Ghz 8C/8T load 1.3875V
4.060Ghz 8C/16T load 1.375V

Cinebench R15 PBO off
4.275Ghz 1 core load 1.4875V
4.25Ghz 2 cores load 1.44V
4.25Ghz 4 cores load 1.425V
4.175Ghz-4.2Ghz 6 cores load 1.4V
4.175Ghz 8C/8T load 1.39V
4.05Ghz 8C/16T load 1.325V

Weird enough with PBO on i do get better performance so this is making me think that even Ryzen Master isn't reading frequency's correctly.

Edit

Yes Ryzen Master does not read frequency correctly lol OMG hwinfo is more accurate right now running PBO+Auto OC and i'm seeing great results. Amazing that Amd lets us control the max boost frequency now and the chip basically knows what it can and cannot do.

Last edited:

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Let's hope i will be able to achieve 3733 @ CL16 using my Hynix CJR Kit.
Waiting for Ryzen 7 3700, Based on the difference between 3600 and 3600X, the difference might be negligible, also it would be much value for users who have already invested in a best AIO like me.

I really want the price to be below 300 dollars for 3700.:unsure:

Reactions: jdwii

jdwii

Splendid
Let's hope i will be able to achieve 3733 @ CL16 using my Hynix CJR Kit.
Waiting for Ryzen 7 3700, Based on the difference between 3600 and 3600X, the difference might be negligible, also it would be much value for users who have already invested in a best AIO like me.

I really want the price to be below 300 dollars for 3700.:unsure:

What board are you getting?

D

Deleted member 14196

All this talk is making me want to build a powerful rig. I swore I was done with it last time my machine blew up after 10 hard working years and I just bought a cheap notebook but now I want to build a fast machine again

Reactions: DMAN999
All this talk is making me want to build a powerful rig. I swore I was done with it last time my machine blew up after 10 hard working years and I just bought a cheap notebook but now I want to build a fast machine again
This thread makes me want to upgrade my machine to make it faster.

Ryzen 3600 keeps poping up in my amazon suggestions.