AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdwii

Splendid
https://www.techspot.com/news/81496-intel-10th-gen-18-core-beats-core-i9.html

Not a great look for Intel; slower then AMD in both multi and single core.

I pretty much expected this i know Intel hates to say it but they need to make a chiplet design it just makes sense and could be a quick cure to their yield issue with 10nm.

Intel i have no other way of saying this messed up I'm not sure how a company of that size can mess up that badly.

Money talks though and no one has more then Intel in the CPU industry just give it time but i doubt we will see 5ghz 8 cores on 10nm any time soon

While one of the problems is undoubtedly being stuck in 14nm for most of the lineup, that is just one of the problems they have to deal with now.

As I said before, they don't need to make huge changes to get the edge or the upper hand again. They just won't commit to do it.

Cheers!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV8AC5ll6Oc

Ryzen 5 3500 leaked.

Seems to be an exact competitor to the 9400f.

Both have a 4.1ghz turbo with 6 cores and threads.
This will flex ryzen 3000s IPC and efficiency advantage as the 3500 will likely perform with the same core count and clock speed.
I suspect the 3500 would draw less power too, but the 9400f is pretty efficient as well. I actually like the 9400f a lot, so it is nice to see a competitor other than the 2600.

Last edited:
What's surprising? GloFo lost it's only major customer, and has given up developing new process nodes. They are going to start hemorrhaging cash soon, and the only thing they own that has some worth are their patent portfolio. So why is it shocking they are going to weaponize their patents to try and stay afloat?
Who said shocking?

This is more of a facepalm for a lot of people.

And yes, I also believe GF is salty as hell. Even with the major money infusion from oil-bucks, having IBM manufacturing patents and having AMD tied to them, they could not make the group profitable before they had to use this "tactic" to force talks.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
As I said before, they don't need to make huge changes to get the edge or the upper hand again. They just won't commit to do it.
Can't take back "the edge" while it has no process to do that on. The next best thing Intel can do is keep OEMs happy by keeping the 14nm stuff coming and bringing 10nm to the more sensitive parts of the product stack until its own 7nm reaches sufficient volume for mainstream parts, probably after it is done bringing 7nm to FPGAs, mobile and other premium products.

jdwii

Splendid
Maybe i should go ahead and buy ryzen 3600?

I hope i win that msi giveaway of a 3700x system...

Haha well who knows i hope it goes to someone who really needs it!

Global Foundries has nothing left i guess its sad to see yet another company go under but when you can't compete that's just how it is. To think they used to be part of Amd years ago. Remember the quote from the previous(from back in the day) CEO of Amd haha

"only real men have fabs"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/02/25/only_real_men_have_fabs/

InvalidError

Titan
Global Foundries has nothing left
GloFo has plenty of stuff left, tons of chips are still being made on 45+nm simply because they don't scale well, such as anything analog or power-related. Perhaps not as glamorous as being used to make some of the fastest CPUs and GPUs currently available, but still enough to stay in business for the foreseeable future as long as they don't alienate their potential customer base by doing potentially suicidal things like suing them.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
If Global Foundries refuses to upgrade their node they will soon become obsolete in a few years
Nah, not at all.

Apple, Samsung, AMD, Intel, nVidia are just the tip of the spear when it comes to process needs. You have plenty market for "lesser" process nodes in a lot of big automated systems that are not really that thirsty for power improvements. That's just one example.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
Apple, Samsung, AMD, Intel, nVidia are just the tip of the spear when it comes to process needs. You have plenty market for "lesser" process nodes in a lot of big automated systems that are not really that thirsty for power improvements. That's just one example.
CPUs, GPUs, SoCs, etc. are the glamorous part of the market, the part that tech enthusiasts are gawking at every day.

At the other end, you have power semiconductors, power management, sensors, automotive electronics, etc. that are still being served by 90+nm fabs. TSMC itself still has 180nm fabs for automotive stuff, easier to design chips that can survive high voltages and large automotive transients using the most coarse process that still makes sense.

I'm a bit annoyed at the Boost clocks shenanigans from AMD... I know it's really hard to tell which cores will be hitting those speeds, but the disparity is annoyingly bad.

Oh welp, let's see how this improves.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan
I'm a bit annoyed at the Boost clocks shenanigans from AMD... I know it's really hard to tell which cores will be hitting those speeds, but the disparity is annoyingly bad.

Oh welp, let's see how this improves.
Probably won't any time soon, all the REALLY good chiplets are going to EPYC/TR3.

A few weeks ago, I came across a post from someone who claimed to have gone through a few 3900X core-by-core and found out that one chiplet on every CPU he tried seemed to be 3600X-class, which seems to imply that the 3900X = ok-ish chiplet to deliver the core count + a better one to (hopefully) deliver marketing clocks on fewer cores. If this is true, I'm smelling another round of class actions in AMD's future for not clearly disclosing that the two CPU chiplets it is made of aren't equal.