AMD's Future Chips & SoC's: News, Info & Rumours.

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2019
Clocks alone are meaningless. Throughput = IPC * clock. If you have 30-40% more IPC at 4GHz in typical workloads, you get per-core throughput equivalent to the old chips at 5.2-5.6GHz, usually at a lower energy cost.
Just read their new 10 core chip will hit 5.3ghz which is pretty sweet makes me wonder if they tweaked their turbo a bit more.

Intel should start doing chiplets like Amd, their was a rumor they tried awhile ago but didn't go with it.

Edit also i know IPC is king and it will matter more and more coming in the future with 7-5nm limiting clock speeds.

InvalidError

Titan
But yeah, Intel really needs to get its 10nm node going asap.
Intel needed 10nm at least three years ago, would have put them in a much better position to respond to Ryzen from. What it needs ASAP at this point is 7nm. Then again, considering how Intel is not looking like it'll have anything particularly good on 10nm until 10nm++, Intel may need to hurry to 7nm++.

Intel needed 10nm at least three years ago, would have put them in a much better position to respond to Ryzen from. What it needs ASAP at this point is 7nm. Then again, considering how Intel is not looking like it'll have anything particularly good on 10nm until 10nm++, Intel may need to hurry to 7nm++.

Intel bet it didn't need EUV at 10nm, as they didn't want the expense. As we now see, that bet failed badly. Even at 7nm, there really isn't much they can do architecturally besides throw more transistors at the problem. Intel should pair an entirely new processor design to go along with 7nm, in my opinion.

AMD will likely be on top for at least the next 4-5 years; Intel really has nothing in the near term that is going to be obviously better then what AMD already has.

Dec 27, 2019
Intel bet it didn't need EUV at 10nm, as they didn't want the expense. As we now see, that bet failed badly. Even at 7nm, there really isn't much they can do architecturally besides throw more transistors at the problem. Intel should pair an entirely new processor design to go along with 7nm, in my opinion.

AMD will likely be on top for at least the next 4-5 years; Intel really has nothing in the near term that is going to be obviously better then what AMD already has.

Gamerk316 is right that's why we need competition, i wonder if Intel would have done that if Ryzen came out in 2013

InvalidError

Titan
Early reports of 20% IPC improvements who said we are in the day and age where IPC stays still all Intel needed was a kick and Ryzen was it.
There is one catch with AMD and Intel's "big IPC gains" though: a huge chunk of it is AVX throughput - chew through bigger AVX instructions in fewer clock cycles. You only see the those optimistic figures if your code consists almost entirely of AVX instructions.

Gamerk316 is right that's why we need competition, i wonder if Intel would have done that if Ryzen came out in 2013

About the only thing Intel could have done differently is invest in EUV @ 10nm, and I'm not sure AMD taking a performance win back in 2013 would by itself convince Intel that it needed to invest in EUV for 10nm.

The simple fact is, Intel rode it's process advantage and took advantage of AMDs missteps. Once both of those advantages went away, and the performance difference between Intel and AMD essentially vanished. Throw in Intels 10nm woes, and you have the current state of affairs.

Again, I really don't see a fix for Intel in the near term, and AMD seems set to run with it's advantage as long as they can.

Dec 27, 2019
There is one catch with AMD and Intel's "big IPC gains" though: a huge chunk of it is AVX throughput - chew through bigger AVX instructions in fewer clock cycles. You only see the those optimistic figures if your code consists almost entirely of AVX instructions.
One major area that is going to improve IPC is going to be when Amd shifts to 8 cores per CCX which is going to improve inter-core latency and therefor improve its performance in latency related workloads. But yes their FP unit is supposed to be yet again 2X times the performance.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1526...-mark-papermaster-theres-more-room-at-the-top

I notice this place isn't that active for some reason despite all the news that come out on Zen 3

This is a nice write up with CTO Mark PaperMaster

This place used to be much more active (especially during the later years of the construction cores and the run up to the launch of Zen 1), unfortunately it got rather negative for a while and a few regulars got banned. It's been fairly quiet since then. Anyways thanks for the link, would be good to get the discussion going. I'm hoping AMD will give us an overview of the new architecture at CES...

Dec 27, 2019
I'm pretty sure they will as Intel will most likely be showing off their new products. I agree I would love to see this place pick up!

Reactions: cdrkf
Happy new year Tom's Hardware fwends.

And I think the star of the party at CES for AMD will be the 64C/128T behemoth ThreadRipper. I'd still love to see some good news about Zen3 though. And it may not be an stretch to expect some, as Naples should be sampling out already.

Cheers!

Reactions: jaymc and cdrkf
Happy new year Tom's Hardware fwends.

And I think the star of the party at CES for AMD will be the 64C/128T behemoth ThreadRipper. I'd still love to see some good news about Zen3 though. And it may not be an stretch to expect some, as Naples should be sampling out already.

Cheers!

One of the tech youtubers is saying they have been leaked info saying AMD will present info about Zen 3 at CES.... looks like it should be a good show. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what AMD can do with Zen 2 in the laptop space, rumours are next gen Ryzen APU's will feature up to 8 cores / 16 threads and a slight bump in CU's for the gpu (although still based on Vega rather than Navi for this gen).

Dec 27, 2019
One of the tech youtubers is saying they have been leaked info saying AMD will present info about Zen 3 at CES.... looks like it should be a good show. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what AMD can do with Zen 2 in the laptop space, rumours are next gen Ryzen APU's will feature up to 8 cores / 16 threads and a slight bump in CU's for the gpu (although still based on Vega rather than Navi for this gen).
https://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/28820-amd-avtacker-arkitekturen-zen-3-pa-ces-2020

It's almost as good as saying its confirmed that Zen 3 will be talked about at least.

Reactions: cdrkf

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Indeed i'm sure it will be teased (Zen 3) as is their tradition to do so... so looking forward for that...
Rumours are suggesting 17% IPC increase.. grain of salt but I would not be surprised at all, awesome if true right.

Here's an Interesting vid on current affairs etc.. around about 14:55 when he starts talking about 12nm Ryzen 5 1600s. He's speculating/proposing that AMD flood the market with 12nm "first gen" Ryzens to freeze Intel out of the low-end and OEM pre-builts.

He kinda of touching on a lot (ideas etc) here in short enough space of time, big Navi is discussed briefly as well and I am also excited for the announcement of the 7nm 8c 16t Laptop APU's also here's a leak to wet appetites, it looks juicy: https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-...-at-a-laptop-processor-with-serious-firepower

Anyway it's interesting enjoy and Happy New Year guy's :)
View: https://youtu.be/hf9zAWPwM3U

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
The $50 3000GE and 85$ R5 1600 pretty much makes Intel irreverent in the market already except for their 9900K which is a niche product.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
View: https://youtu.be/avLtZo8sIhw
View: https://youtu.be/7AR1dS950fQ

I think Global Foundries contribution and AMD producing lower tier products (R5 1600 etc) at GF to attack Intel's budget offerings, this should take some pressure off supply wise. Yet still it looks like TSMC has enough capacity to cover them... unless demand is bigger than expected, which there is a very good possibility of that actually.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNnMruxahI

4K in old games 3900X vs 9900K, in short Intel is 10% faster on average with a 10% higher frequency as well. Zen 3 is rumored to have 12-17% higher IPC then Zen 2 so i guess in ST Amd is about to take the IPC crown even more and most likely it won't even be noticeable in person or in benchmarks for games between Intel and Am. Also rumored that Zen 3 might be 100-200mhz faster too.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
AMD Press Conference at CES 2020:
View: https://youtu.be/zUeo7kUzn_8
13:00 ; Discussion on 2019 (Ryzen, Threadripper, rDNA, Epyc)

14:30 ; Apple, Sony, MS, etc. as partners listed

14:45 - 17:00 ; Review trailer of 2019 things

18:00 ; "2020 is gonna be a bigger year than 2019" ... "all about the best"

19:00 ; Laptops: hasn't been a lot of improvements in laptop form factor b/c of all of the tech needed to pack in. "In 2020, introducing the best laptop processor ever" ; Zen 2, 7nm tech, power efficiency

20:30 ; AMD RYZEN 3RD GEN MOBILE PROCESSOR CONFIRMED; CHIP IN HAND. Disruptive performance graph shows linear performance for ultrabooks - 4000 series creates the jump WAY above historical curve.

23:00 ; Targeting all sectors of the laptop market/ form factors. Specs: 4800u = 8c16th, up to 4.GHz, graphics cores - 59% more optimization, all in a 15W TDP. Performance in multithreaded is +90%, 28% in graphics, single threaded in marginally higher. Battery life = +124% ... "leading performance with all day battery life"

26:30 ; Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (world's thinnest and lightest 8 core @ 15mm thick); showing off their product with more big companies (mindshare boost).

27:30 ; Over 100 laptop designs throughout 2020

28:00 ; Graphics design next. Bae has left stage, I'm uninterested in the rest.

29:30 ; 500m gamers and creators use AMD Radeon;

30:30 ; Freesync covered on 1000 displays. Woo. Marketing crap about new Freesync categories (FreeSync, FreeSync Premium, FreeSync Premium Pro). I want Su back.

33:30 ; Strong specs about RX 5000 Series, but still advertisemens so far.

34:00 ; NEW GPU 5600XT ; RDNA, 36 Compute units, 6GB GDDR6; looks to be a direct fight against 1660Ti (10-15% better)

37:00 ; Release dates for 5600XT: January 21: $279, available worldwide.... that's a killer price.

38:00 ; 5600M and 5700M for notebook, 1H 2020 (might need a correction, could have been 2H) (Q2 Release Date)

41:30 ; NEW RYZEN 7 4800H Processor (8C 16TH, 4.2GHz, 2.9Base, 45W TDP); Made for content creation in a mobile setup (not desktop). Showed a 26% difference for double TDP cost (Intel). 4800H does it at 45W instead of 90W. RELEASE DATE:

44:30 ; ** AMD PROCESSOR EXCLUSIVE** ASUS Zephyrus G14 Notebook - Latest Ryzen 4000 series processor support; 3.5 pounds; 10 hours of battery life. Light up back thing, kinda gimmicky. (Q2 Release Date)

47:30 ; "Virtual Super Platform"; "SmartShift". Very quick, saving power by shifting workloads from CPU to GPU. Early development shows 10% performance uptick; 12% faster in Cinebench. RELEASE DATE: (Q2 Release Date)

53:30 ; Data: just TORE Intel a new one.

54:00 : "Why not go above 32 cores" LISA I'M HARD

54:15 : NEW RYZEN TH 3990X (64 Core; 128 Threads, 4.3 GHz boost, 288 Mb Cache; MSRP $3990; Globally available Feb 7)

55:30 : 30% faster than a $20,000 competitor.... for about an eighth of a price. Save 30% of your time. NUT.

60:00 : Next gen consoles launching end of 2020.

Last edited: