AMD's HD 3200 IGP benchmark

Pecoprince

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hardspell.com do a benchmark of the already release AMD780G (http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66395.htm) <- it's in simplified chinese not sure how i can post a translated version, so i will try to post link of the direct website with translation.

They also the benchmark of the HD 3200 IGP and function analysis. So far it's extremely advance for IGP

GPU-Z has identify and it's DX10 capable
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66170.htm)

Hardware setup
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66396.htm)

H.264 playback benchmark
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66558.htm)

3Dmark06 Pro... <- not sure the exact setting but a reference versus the Xpress 1200
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66405.htm)

Doom 3 <- medium detail at 640X480, It's double of the performance of the Xpress 1200
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66183.htm)

Half Life-2 <- also twice frame rate
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66406.htm)

Overclocking the IGP core 500 mhz> 800mhz!!!
(http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66390.htm)

The conclusion from the source website is that they can't believe the price point is similar to the old AMD690G chipset. This motherboard become the most suitable for the media centre type computer without purchasing additional graphic card.

In my opinion, it is extremely well attractive product in my opinion... considered it's gonna be the first batches of Hybrid crossfire product, it's already really well without considered hybrid crossfire. It's extremely contemporary for normal daily users.

Performance will be similar to the intel GMA3100 and nVidia 7150, but the video playback features will be far superior thanks to the UVD, the numbers are better than 1/4 the CPU useage.

It's still weak for gaming or render work as you can see in the gaming and cinebench results which are similar to it's previous solution which was already just slightly ahead of the others but still terrible, however it's perfect for an HTPC.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Im just interested in the Hybrid CF, does it offer a good boost? and unlike Nvidia's Hybrid only the Low end 3400's(not the 3600's) can Be used in Hybrid :/

Pecoprince

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Another thing is interesting..
under this graphic, the 3Dmark shows nearly 25% increase in benchmark.
http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/66405.htm
I suppose the spider platform idea does do something to improve the overall system performance by a significant margin... I just wish they can do a full testing with the Phenon 9900 all the way, instead of the 5000+, it's hard to conclude the real life performance has actually improved until the test is done in spider platform (the 3Dmark also shows increase in performance with 3850 + 780G)...

But I have to said, there is one problem with the marketing strategy... right now the release are the 740G (w/2100 IGP) 780V (w/3100 without the hardware acceleration for HD playback, i think) the price differences in terms of US dollar is approximately 25 dollar differences between all three board... it's actually quite confusing in some ways.

To be honest, the only good one is the 780G chipset that support all the features.

For crossfire thing, i am not sure how much performance it can increase, from the data, it's basically a HD 2400 GPU within it. Can it actually combine a 2400XT and provide a true crossfire setting with IGP? I am not so sure.

But it has been a while since people cries for a affordable pc that can do more, really... let's not look at the gaming benchmark. With this board, this computer is already over killed for normal office uses. Virtually all the 780G chipsets = a mini media pc for anyone. People can actually build a media PC for less than 250 (if uses the lowest possible choices)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

It won't be as weak for light gaming. My interpretation of light gaming is playing titles like WoW that aren't as intensive graphically, or playing older titles like Morrowind. My wife's actually played Morrowind with just the 690G IGP without any stutters. A 690G can't run Oblivion well, but I'm quite sure the 780G will run it as well as a Radeon 9800 Pro, at medium settings with bloom instead of HDR.

Just imagine what it will do with a 3470 added. If the 780IGP is twice as fast as the 690G, then we could see four times the improvement with a 3470. I'd love to benchmark that against an X1650 Pro or a 7600GS. Still not enthusiast gaming, but not all that bad at the price point it's aimed at.

I really wanted this motherboard at the time I bought our 690G boards. Though I wouldn't play newer games with less than a 3850, it's great for a second or third PC, especially an HTPC. Imagine a PC with the B3 Phenom 9000 (1.8 gigahertz), a 3470 and a Bluray drive, what a good deal for both light gaming and home theater!

Hybrid Crossfire will definitely make the platform worthwhile. I can't wait to see a shootout between hybrid Crossfire and hybrid SLI

My only complaint about the first version is that it does not support power saving features; but will do so in the future. What I'm wondering is will those power saving features rely on getting the drivers right, or is it a chipset issue that will be corrected in later board revisions?

I had wanted a 780G along with a 3850 or 3870 for the power saving mode. Nvidia will have power saving features from day one with their new boards, all of which will have IGP's enabled. AMD should go that route too. Why disable an existing IGP? Because enthusiasts grew up distrusting IGP's, seeing them as worthless mobo real estate?

I really can't see them updating the 690G with the 740G revision. The 4 pixel pipeline X700 derived motherboard is now obsolete, so why carry it forward under a new name?

I knew AMD's marketing department was braindead when they came up with "Phenom" instead of just using a Stars based name. Orion, Agena, Sirius, anything but "Phenom"!

I'm tempted to wait for a revision of this board that supports power saving features, but I'll probably just get the 770 because I want it now.

I'm sure it will work. It will be a necessary step towards Swift (ie one HD 3000 core with 3 45nm Phenom cores), and I'm wondering if we'd see triple Crossfire down the line with a Swift CPU in a 780G board with a 3470 discrete GPU. I wonder if they'll ever get it working, beyond power saving mode, with 3650's and above?

Pecoprince

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Another thing, AMD mentioned that this motherboard wouldn't have a conflict in the market with their low range product. I wonder if that is the case in here, because most people who purchase the 2400XT, Pro are all expected to use their media playback ability, mostly not for games as it's occasionally performance worse than their older generation (2400 versus 1300.) I don't see how there are still market for those low range video cards?

so basically this new all-in-one that can do all motherboard exist in a place is good in paper, but bad for their own market that i can see. 780G makes the 780V,740G less valuable, the market for the 2400/3400 is basically conflicting with the AMD780G...(unless the hybrid crossfire works with those, thus making 2400/3400 complementary product)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
It's not bad for their own market because they promise hybrid Crossfire will work with the 3450 and 3470 by the March 5 release date in the U.S. That makes me think that hybrid Crossfire is just a driver issue that will get worked out, but what about power savings?

It might be bad for the legacy 2400's out there, but I can't see anyone with a 690G and a 2400 switching their CPU to this board and reusing the 2400. Instead, it's more likely they will get a new 3450 at the same time. It's not like they've got much invested in that 2400.

I agree that I can't see any reason for the 740G refresh of the 690G, because it falls far short of the 780G. The 780V is that series low end, just as there was a 690V board. I guess they're trying to hit all market segments, but at this price point, why bother?

The Inquirer linked to OCWorkbench's review of Jetway's PA78GT3, and compares it with the 690G. Framerates are still too low for more recent games but are playable for older titles. Still, I can't see anyone getting this board without hybrid Crossfire enabled, not even for an HTPC.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2008/jetway/PA78GT3/b1.htm

The Doom 3 benchmark shows both boards can handle legacy games, but the 780G hits FPS enthusiast fps:

doom3.jpg

It can handle Fear at low settings

fear.jpg

It can barely handle Lost Planet, but still needs a 3470.

lp.jpg

Call of Juarez is unplayable, and probably so even with a 3470.

coj.jpg

Where it shines are in the HD tests later in the article, with 15% CPU utilization and 113 out of 130 in HQV. All in all, a good board by itself for light gaming, but even better with hybrid Crossfire. Now, all we have to do is wait and see the difference between the 3450 and the 3470. I'm guessing the 3450 is low profile for an HTPC while the 3470 is standard profile budget card for light gaming on a desktop mostly used for applications.

When I get one of these in March, I'll test it with Oblivion and then with a 3470 in hybrid Crossfire. It won't be my gaming rig, but it has it's uses.

Oh I agree, for Morrowind, HL2, UT2K4, and older titles, as well as lighter current titles with lower setting it will be fine.

Funny thing is you mention Morrowind, and I can remember playing it on a SIS 8MB laptop chip when the recommendation was 32MB Radeon/Riva-Geforce whatever level card, and even on the 16MB AIW Pro and Rage Fury Pro. However I think if you expect this to match a discrete laptop chip you'll be dissapointed, but if you use it as an HTPC solution, with the occasional classic game, yeah it'll do the trick just fine.

Just imagine what it will do with a 3470 added. If the 780IGP is twice as fast as the 690G, then we could see four times the improvement with a 3470. I'd love to benchmark that against an X1650 Pro or a 7600GS. Still not enthusiast gaming, but not all that bad at the price point it's aimed at.

Yeah and I don't even worry about the 3470 in Xfire, just because to me when that's the issue, just spend the extra pennies and go for an HD36xx or better when they come down in price, but for more basic HTPC roles this will be great, even without considering it in an add-in card solution, because my thought would be the opposite direction, buy it now for your main rig with your good card and maybe get an Xfire boost or whateve now, and then consider the benefit of moving to an HTPC when you upgrade later.

I think there's alot of potential in the power saving mode, and hopefully it's just either a bios & driver update or something similarly easy, and not require a product refresh.

I also like having an IGP for desktop, just in case your graphics card fails, that it actually gives you a useful benefit while another card is in there is just an added win/win to me, and I think at this point if I were building or recommending a new desktop I'd always make this type of MoBo my choice (as long as the OEM partners I like were making them).

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Yes this will be very nice.
Imagine the Folks who are running (2) Top End GPUs and sucking down closer to 300w just reading this forum from their GPUs alone!

Both NDIVIA and AMD are coming out with this type of solution.
I'm really glad to see them come along.

The Ability to work with an add-on card for and gain the power of both is also quite nice I think.
Again, not great for Crysis and such.
But very nice for mid-range games that would have stretched either the IGP or a cheap addon too much.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

In that case, you'd want hybrid SLI. I haven't seen updated info on Nvidia's offering. I don't know if Intel will implement a power saving feature that will work with non-Intel cards (they're poised to compete later in 2008). I expect they'd copy AMD and Nvidia, because that's what people want. Enthusiasts want power saving and the mainstream wants hybrid graphics to boost the usefulness of the IGP and low end GPU.

My wife actually decided she'd be happy with hybrid Crossfire when it arrives. She mods for Morrowind and Fate, and doesn't play anything currently more intensive than Heroes of Might and Magic V. I also want to get one for an HTPC, since we're also finally getting a 26" LCD HDTV as well, but I'll wait for the Phenom 9000 for that. I really think an HTPC with that low power quad core and a Bluray drive is the way to go.

Me, I'm ordering a Gigabyte GV-RX387512H on February 1st.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125086

I haven't decided on playing LOTR online in DX10 mode or waiting for Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures, but I've held off on any recent title with DX10 mode until I get a card capable of running it. I like both fictional universes more than I do WoW or Everquest, though I was tempted to play DAOC. It's always fun to see a good implementation of a literary fantasy, which is one of the reasons I rank Betrayal at Krondor as the best CRPG of all time (with Daggerfall a close second).

Now, I don't know whether to get a Gigabyte 770 board with a low end Brisbane or to wait another month for the 780G. My plan was to use the Brisbane until B3 stepping arrives in May and then to upgrade the CPU to either a quad or triple core Phenom, but now I'm not sure.

I promised one of our 690G boards to a relative for their PC soon, so I'll have to go for the 770. My only alternative is to use the P4 630 X200 board for a month as I let my son have the X2 4600+ on an MSI K9N 405 chipset board.
That MSI board really irked me, I'd gotten it in a barebones, swapped out the PSU for an Antec but then realized that I could not use an ATI card because of the following:

One PCI Express X16 slot (Run at x8 mode)
(Due to the specification of the chipset, ATI X8xx, X7xx, X5xx, and X3xx series graphic card will not be supported.)
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9N6SGM-V&class=mb

The manual actually adds the X1000 series to the list, so I e-mailed MSI tech support and they said to only use Nvidia cards with it. I'm planning on getting my kid a 9600 for it when they arrive. He's still in elementary school and only plays Fate, Heroes III, IV and V, plus Morrowind and Dungeon Lords. Nothing new and graphic intensive there.

Just out of curiosity, are there chipset limitations with newer Nvidia chipsets? I wish there were one standard for power saving and multi GPU, such that Nvidia, ATI and Intel would be more cooperative, but I guess that's too much to hope for prior to Swift. Then, I can't see Nvidia not cooperating with AMD on their IGP boards. The same for Intel. What is Nvidia going to do without a CPU when Intel and AMD have their IGP's on the CPU?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Whoops, 165W was for the whole system. Still, my point remains. High-end GPUs draw much more power than IGPs when idling.

I am unfortunately located in one of those southeastern states that will soon be getting hit hard by the drought-induced nuclear power plant closures. Every Watt is about to count :(

TRENDING THREADS