AMD's Hector Ruiz Jumps Sinking Ship

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
ATI is doing good and I have to problem buying those products
on the AMD side I have lackluster Quad-Core and marginally inflated prices and obsolete dual-core performance.

I would not have a problem buying AMD products if they can keep future promises (AM2 boards are not compatible with newer Phenoms), right now as an upgrade platform (I buy budget and Upgrade Slowly) I have no use for them though a bargin brand there is still some life.

I really hope for a return of AMD because competition is essential for consumer gain.

In the future I hope AMD sees the advantage of having Plan-B.

G

How does splitting the company in half fix ANY of the current problems? It simply is a way for AMD to raise more cash and/or restructure debt. It doesn't speed up the process technology development cycle. It doesn't make Dresden run at higher margins. It doesn't speed up new product design cycles. It doesn't make K10 clocks any faster or increase the ASP's.

But it does introduce new complexities and potentially new issues. You now have 2 separate companies trying to coordinate design with manufacturing. You have a foundry which has to design a process with other customers in mind and cannot simply tune it to individual products. You have potentially higher operational costs in the foundry with new customers, higher product mixes, more masks, reduced cycle times.

I simply see this as a way to infuse more money or a way for AMD 'design' to dump off debt onto the foundry... the problem is AMD design is forced into owning a majority of the foundry and therefor will continue to feel the impact of the debt and any operational losses in the foundry.

Just look at Spansion - Is that healthy now that it has been spun off and is more 'focused'? The difference here is AMD won't be able to simply dump their shares and write off another loss (like they did with Spansion) thanks to the x86 license terms.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ZootyGray[/nom]As a self-confessed AMD fanboy, I will not support ntel monopoly tactics and marketing lies and unethical practices. I simply won't buy that kind of low-lifehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-Life crap.You ntel fanboys - - support a regime based on "screw you". And the bottom line is - you know it. You don't care. You say ok to that and move the world in that direction - which hurts everyone.Thg apparently supports it too. I look to anandtech and others for good reviews - and factual reporting - rather than lame bias and illiteracy and bogus hype and inflammatory articles. This place has about nothing to do with what I remember as the original brilliant tom's hardwarehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom's_Hardware guide -circa 1997. It's been sukkin for a long time.I am waiting for AMD to make the right parts for my needs re my next pc. I don't even know what ntel has for too much money - it will always be too much money. The realhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real cost is even higher.AMD, I need a pc, and I will wait while you create it. No rush. Thanx for the vidcards. Next. [/citation]

Yeah go ahead and blindly line the pockets and golden parachutes of AMD executives who can't manage their way out of a paper sack.

G

Fanboys of CPU makers? hahaha, I heard of Football fanboys, but not this, i buy the better product, if it's AMD or Intel, IMO, AMD is doing good lately, just see the 4870, the CPU's gonna be better soon, but it's got to take time...
i, my self, seeing that i buy a AMD system in 2010 or sometime, predicting.

G

Perhaps AMD is going to try and fab other companies products, not sure what VIA does currently but if theyre planning to expand who knows maybe they look AMD's way. I know most places outsource to asia for their fabs but who knows, theres gotta be a master plan in this, i dont otherwise see the point in splitting the company!

If the fabs are running idle (which is expensive for a company that isnt making profit!), perhaps this is why they are splitting. In that case it makes perfect sense, assuming there is market interest in their fabs.

enjoi1216

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I would just like to say that May God Bless Dirk Meyer every step of the way with AMD with achieving the top competitor and that every single desktop PC I have ever owned has an AMD processor and has always had super good reliability and has had a long lifespan God Bless You AMD & Dirk Meyer in everything you do in becoming the top competitor in the processor world always.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I think Intel should just buy AMD, that way they could have ATI !!! lol all joking aside AMD's processor's seem to be in a world of hurt. Checking prices on Newegg, and comparing them is just painful. I guess you get what you pay for ?

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Firstly, the CPU is dead! 'The heat wall' has killed it, and only small percentage improvements and more core added is the music. (Seen any 4 GHz cpu's lately?)
So both Intel and AMD knows that it's GPU, PPU and other subchips that is the bread and butter in the forseeable future! Hence Larabee and ATI-aqusation!
Sencondly, AMD keeps sqrewing its customers by changing sockets often. Aaargh me and many hate that !

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
He is not jumping from the ship, he is still on board. Hector is the Chairman of AMD like Bill Gates in MS, Dirk Meyer is the CEO. So and so, he is still riding the ship, but instead in the bridge on special cabin room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS