AMD's Jaguar to Support AVX

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A note posted by an AMD developer suggests that the Kabini processor, a 28 nm mobile chip that will integrate the Jaguar processing core, will support Intel's AVX instruction set, as well bit-manipulation instructions (BMI).

AMD's Jaguar to Support AVX : Read more

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
AVX is interesting in its own right, but BMI? As Bobcat had the same instruction set support as K10, I'd have thought it already supported POPCNT and LZCNT as well as SSE4a.

Supporting SSE4.1 and 4.2 is a good move, but will it make for a far more complex core?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
In b4 "Not as fast as my core i7 with 16 gigs of ram and a $700 Nvidia that self destructs with the odd numbered beta drivers" comments.

And yet another reason to hold off on purchasing another laptop... again.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom] POPCNT and LZCNT [/citation]
Oh man, I havn't thought of Assembler in decades. Thanks for reminding an old programmer about the good times. Now to read up on the SSE4.1 ops for an asm fix.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]chromonoid[/nom]i hope this chip turns out to be good and not like bulldozer[/citation]
Jaguar is a low powered x86 CPU or APU for tablets.

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]AVX is interesting in its own right, but BMI? As Bobcat had the same instruction set support as K10, I'd have thought it already supported POPCNT and LZCNT as well as SSE4a.Supporting SSE4.1 and 4.2 is a good move, but will it make for a far more complex core?[/citation]

Trinity already supports SSE 4.1, SSE 4.2, SSSE3, and probably AVX, but I don't know if it supports BMI. Excluding BMI, I also know that Bulldozer supports all of these and that it might support BMI. I'd have to look up BMI support to know that one for sure.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]low-price and low-power and low performance mobile processor[/citation]

It's not like there is such thing as a high performance, very low power and low price CPU, especially in mobile markets.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Trinity already supports SSE 4.1, SSE 4.2, SSSE3, and probably AVX, but I don't know if it supports BMI. Excluding BMI, I also know that Bulldozer supports all of these and that it might support BMI. I'd have to look up BMI support to know that one for sure.[/citation]
Bulldozer supports SSE4a so I'm very much interested in what these BMI instructions are; I can't find any reference to an instruction set. If AMD indeed have worked on one, it'd make a lot of sense to implement it into the Bulldozer design especially if they're sticking with starving their cores for work.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I've heard speculation of a modular architecture, too. Xbit labs listed their reasons for believing this on their article. Reason being is that AVX requires two 128 bit or one 256 bit FPU. Bulldozer accomplishes AVX through one 256 bit "flex" FPU that is really more like two glued together. It's hard to imagine a mobile processor with a massive 256 bit FPU, but if two cores with one 128 bit each worked together at a modular level, the thinking goes, this could be accomplished much easier and with fewer transistors. Also, modifications have been made to allow addressing of upwards of 2MB of L2 cache, much higher than bobcat. This could point to a shared L2 cache, like in bulldozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.