AMD's Latest Driver Fixes Issue With 'Titanfall 2'

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

AMD just sucks with drivers. A best decision i ever made was ditching crossfire r390x and getting 1080

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Not this complain about "bad drivers" again. Dude, you`re ditching a multi GPU setup in favour of a single GPU. Ofc you will going to have a better experience with one single GPU, you don`t have to wait for SLI/CF profiles and then hope that the dev did a good multi GPU implementation.

You just suck at understanding how technology works.

AS118

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Ohim is right. Whether it's CF or SLI, Multi-GPU usually causes a LOT of problems, which is why it's best to buy the single strongest GPU you can get, and only use 2 GPU's if there's nothing else better. (I.E. You have a 1080, and you can only get another 1080 to make things better)

Even then, there are SEVERE diminishing returns after 2 GPU's. The power draw, heat, and noise goes WAY up if you get 3 or more cards, while the amount of FPS you get (proportionally) goes WAY down.

So basically, 1 strong GPU is best, but if you have to multi-GPU, 2 is the most you should generally get. And getting the blower-style cards that blow hot air out of the case is optimal for CF / SLI. 2 of those are better than 2 custom coolers that just circulate hot air in the case (with the top card sucking in the hot air from the bottom one and getting hotter) until your case fans exhaust all the hot air. If you have to mix card types, blower should be on the bottom and the custom card should be on the top.

Anyhow, to reiterate: I feel like AMD's drivers are spot on lately, and it's wrong to blame them for CF / SLI problems which BOTH vendors have to contend with. Hell, Nvidia doesn't even allow you to do SLI with the 1060 on down anymore.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
WTF these developers use when they make and test these games? why is it that every time there is a new game there has to be an updated driver for it? am I missing something here?

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
For what it's worth, MGPU also makes sense if you built as good as you could build originally, and just want to wring some more life out of it. I built my PC with a single R9 280X when I did it, and obviously with it not being the strongest card to begin with, it struggled later in life with some of the bigger AAA games. I threw a second one in there and it's been fairly smooth since then (With the odd little exception here and there, then I simply go back to single card and N64-era graphics).

alextheblue

Distinguished

You just have a selective memory. I've been using GPUs from both vendors for quite some time (as well as S3, 3dfx, and PowerVR). Nvidia has had plenty of driver issues, especially SLI woes. Heck a few days ago they released a driver that broke tiles and caused issues with the Store. They fixed it within a few days and re-released, but it's a very recent example of why they're hardly immune from problems. Both vendors have been pretty good lately, as well as being very responsive when a major issue is discovered.

alextheblue

Distinguished
there are still some known issues with the latest driver, such as the fact that some games might suffer crashes or performance issues if the overlay for the Raptr third-party app is active
Raptr is getting removed from AMD drivers (hurray - I always unchecked that box anyway). Personally I got zero value from it. If you don't use it, the best fix is to uninstall raptr/gaming evolved. If you DO use it, just disable the overlay if it gives you issues.

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
Iam pretty much happy with drivers from AMD.Mind that this is my first desktop card(Nitro RX480) and i have yet to face or run into any problems.I previously had Laptop graphics chip ATI HD 5650 and i will say that not until this year AMD driver updates were horrible and untimely.I guess the split between chipset and graphics division was much better than anticipated with Raja leading the Graphics section along with his dedicated team. Also RX 400 series was a product well devised before the division happened so i expect Vega to be something different than RX 400 and should hold well against the top dogs of Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.