AMD's Llano Fusion Chips Coming Summer 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
The 'Whoa' I usually use is when something is slow... Followed by me considering hitting my head on the desk! BTW No AMD hate, great with decent integrated products in the pipeline

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Honestly, I had thought the title was implying they weren't impressed and wanted to stop it until I read the article.

Now I'm left wondering if the partners sounded like Keanu Reeves in nearly every movie he has been in, or was it more like Joey Lawrence type of whoa?

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
ok, so they're starting out in the netbook market, where Intel already has dominance (mostly anyway). They come out with a whole new tech that changes the game, the way motherboards need to be setup, and give hardware vendors a headache to gather support for this tech while Intel continues their lead on their HT CPU's and force feed people that "more cores = 'better!'" They may still have the lead for awhile against Nvidia, but Intel is going to be tricky to top.

I love this idea from AMD, my only fear is that Intel will have already gotten too far ahead of them by the time this tech comes out.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
DX11 capable integrated gpu within a quad core cpu that's being brought onto the market, starting off with netbooks/notebooks? This is gonna be pretty cool.
Honestly, when I saw "woah" I actually took it as.
"Woah, serious ***'s happening."

G

@superblahman123

i share your concern, except what does intel have up their sleeve, sandy bridge.....

if i recall Lynx uses a llano core too, so maybe we might see lynx first half 2011 too

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
there are a few things that i ahve to say/ask.

1 this is a cpu+gpu in one chip. assuming that, aren't cpus suppose to be cooler than gpus? wouldn't this be a complete pain to cool?

2 @superblahman123 more cores are better, however that is physical cores, logical are hit and miss.

also intel was trying to make a gpu, and had to abandon it, kind of. apparently they made it as powerful as a nvidia 280, but nothing realy came of it yet, and so far, at lest netbook wise, less power is better, and 1 chip instead of 2 would be far better and possibly leave more room for something else, amd has the potential to completely own this market for the next 2 years, unless intel or nvidia do something amassing.

and with notebooks, same thing, if they make a portable phenom 955 and hd5770 equivalent, than they own the notebook market, but they wouldn't own the desktop replacement by the time he notebook version hits.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hopefully this gpu horsepower will be a vast improvement over existing ATI notebook gpu's. I've got two laptops with ati chips in them and they are garbage for doing anything other than business computing. Unless that happens I think this will be no more interesting than (maybe) a small cost reduction and a small power reduction.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Good to know that the products are on the way. One can only hope that crossfire is possible between a fusion GPU and a dedicated card.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
If AMD produces a CPU and a GPU that’s decent on a single die the computer world will change. THIS IS HUGE!

Intel will lose its reign for a long time; the acquisition of ATI is about to pay off! Intel could be in trouble here, not only do they not have a decent GPU they also don't have a decent GPU on the same die as their CPU.

I’m considering buying AMD stocks right now! lol. The future is promising.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'm glad I switched back to AMD for my CPU. I've been really happy with the performance and I have had AMD cpu's going back to the 486 days. Kudos to AMD for trying!

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]stifle[/nom]Good to know that the products are on the way. One can only hope that crossfire is possible between a fusion GPU and a dedicated card.[/citation]
wow some people dont listen of course they will be 5xxx and 6xxx GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.