AMD's Llano Sports Radeon HD 6550 Graphics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I thought they where AMD's offer for the netbook market with a slightly overpowered GPU, but when they mentioned 100W TDP, I knew I was wrong!

AMD may make an interesting chip, but it never was capable of optimizing the work load, the buffers, and make their product so, that when the GPU part in a game is running on it's max, the CPU will too!

Intel has a very good way of balancing out CPU's max transfer speeds to North/south bridge, by choosing a good FSB setting.
AMD just uses 'any', preferably the faster the better, without looking at CPU bottle necks.
What they've done for years on the graphics cards, seems to not yet have been done on the CPU part!

Sometimes it's better to use a lower frequency setting, when a higher one would not really make an increased performance possible (but only increased heat).

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Good point regarding the TDP. Does anyone know how much power IGPs or embedded graphics draw? :??: Everyone seems to agree Fusion and SB improve graphics quality over current IGP solutions, but how does it affect power consumption? Imagine pushing your laptop to 3+ hours at full load just on battery power :love: . I would really like that.

G

HTPC's would be a perfect home for this processor. Low power + decent 1080p playback + less parts = winner IMHO. Now let's see a price and hurry up with bulldozer for my gaming rig!! If BD ends up being a dud I will have to go Intel...bleh...

G

People aren't understanding... it's the 6690 with either a discrete 6570 or 6670. So add about $70 more bucks to the price of the apu and then you'll have roughly the gpu power of the 6990... At least visually. Though there is still a ton of other variables that you could compare between the crossfire and 6690 which I won't bother to look up. It's breaking no new ground at a visual standpoint. Price wise it could be more efficient if the combo is 3-350. Way better then spending 700 bucks on the hd!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.