AMD's Llano Sports Radeon HD 6550 Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I'm a Fanboi, hear me roAAARRRR :p . joking aside it'll be interest for the laptop/notebook market. maybe I'll pass this along to a friend who is looking to upgrade his c**ppy Dell laptop

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I dream when I can buy a laptop that can game decently with an IGP. I would be more than happy to play Team Fortress 2 and Street Fighter IV on my laptop without having to go over budget.

On the graphics front, it will probably easily beat SB. While HD3K is decent, its not the same as a discrete GPU.

But in CPU power, I don't think it will keep up with SB.

Each will have their strong and weak points. Sounds like a good mix and match.

SB for CPU power and overclocking, Llano for cheaper low end gaming.

jestersage

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
If they implement the hybrid crossfire properly, I'm getting a 6670 plus this chip and decently game at under 200W. I hope they don't overprice. For the first time in 5 years I am seriously considering an AMD setup because of this.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Zambezi is the one that is suppose to compete with Sandy Bridge computing wise. These are more value oriented options. Although they should still be pretty good.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
From the specs, the HD6550 will probably have performance comparable to the Radeon HD4670 or the GeForce 9600GT.

This will be a breakthrough in integrated graphics. For the first time you will be able to play regular games based on more demanding engines at decent quality settings, instead of going for all low settings.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]its this "the bulldozer"? or we have to wait for that a bit more? I am waiting for this launch but as i heared Liano is Phenom II + HD6550? or i am wrong[/citation]
This is not bulldozer. You are right that llano will feature cpu cores similar to those in the current generation of AMD parts, while bulldozer will have a whole new architecture.

G

So far I have seen nothing in specs that impress a true gammer. Sure, you may be able to play some games at lower resolutions or by turning off detail. But in the end these will still not be good gaming platforms. Besides the fact that laptops are bad anyway for gammers because you can't upgrade the video.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
@crisan_tiberiu:
you can crossfire a low end card like Radeon 6670 or 6570 with Llano APU and upgrade your gaming performance, a feature you cannot use with nVidia cards.

400SPs at 600Mhz? Uhm... I'm gonna need some benchies; that thing might land between a 4850 and a 4870 if i'm not mistaken, but the RAM/HT bandwidth might hurt it bad.

Anyway, I'm more interested to see this thingy on notebooks more than desktops if you ask me 8)

Cheers!

G

Sounds very promising so far, esp in the mobile sector!, I can see my three year old Studio 17 being replaced with a Llano Laptop, I run C2D @2.2GHZ and 3670 in my studio 17, this will be a good upgrade!

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]On the graphics front, it will probably easily beat SB. While HD3K is decent, its not the same as a discrete GPU.But in CPU power, I don't think it will keep up with SB.Each will have their strong and weak points. Sounds like a good mix and match.SB for CPU power and overclocking, Llano for cheaper low end gaming.[/citation]

Llano is very useful for notebook gamers. It's not the lack of CPU that stop them gaming it's the lack of GPU. Plus GPUs are pretty useful anyhow in applications like Photoshop.

[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]It applications that can take advantage of the GPU for processing power Llano could cream SB in applications like Photoshop.[/citation]

Llano won't cream Sandy Bridge in Photoshop, Sandy Bridge will cream Llano in all but high resolution 3d modelling in Photoshop. Photoshop is still dependant on CPU, with the GPU playing a smaller role. The GPU only accelerates a few functions in Photoshop such as 3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.