AMD's Mobility Radeon HD 6970 In CrossFire On Eurocom's Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
This is even more absurd than the other recent power gaming notebook that was tested. You could save almost $500 by using Sandy Bridge instead of the old i7s, for the same performance. Even Falcon Mach V's usually don't get this expensive. This is absolutely ridiculous

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]fstrthnu[/nom]This is even more absurd than the other recent power gaming notebook that was tested. You could save almost $500 by using Sandy Bridge instead of the old i7s, for the same performance. Even Falcon Mach V's usually don't get this expensive. This is absolutely ridiculous[/citation]No you couldn't. Because as of CES when these cards launched, nobody produced a dual-graphics module chassis for the Sandy Bridge.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
There are the battery life graphs that I love! Thanks for adding those to the laptop review! My first laptop was a P4 Northwood that barely got 90 minutes of battery life. This one is insane!

First of all,great review ! I was desperately waiting for 6970M review from Tom's.
The overall performance is quite good especially in single mode which it's faster than both GTX 470M/480M.I think if AMD pays more attention to mobile drivers, then 2 of this cards should perform better.
About the price,well not everyone configures the laptop with i7 980x.Websites usually test the high-end specs in order to reduce the bottleneck and let the laptop run at its full potential.
I've read that Sager will soon release a model with mobile Sandy bridge CPUs along with 1 6970M and it won't be very expensive I think.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]What, you don't have a $180,000 car sitting in front of your $5m mansion?[/citation]

Duh of course, we all do but i mean 32 bedrooms IS kinda small. On a serious note, wtf 5k seriously? I could build a desktop and hook it up to a small generator for 1.5k and get at least 4 hours of power than pay 5k for 20min Fuk that $hit.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
You know what really gets to me.. AMD really markets the whole 1.3 teraflops, and 2.7 teraflops.. but at the end of the day, nvidia, with a lot less flop, overpowers AMD's cards... so where does all of tha processing power go in AMD's cards?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Looks like AMD hit the sweet spot in their mobile graphics division...FINALLY. I'd like to know what the price difference is between the 6970m and the 460m. It probably won't change the 460m pricing, but I'm willing to bet Nvidia snapped their fingers and said, "Damn, we can't milk our mobile cards for 4 times what they're worth anymore."
Seriously, how could they charge 800 dollars or some such crap for half the power of their 600 dollar cards?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Looks like AMD hit the sweet spot in their mobile graphics division...FINALLY. I'd like to know what the price difference is between the 6970m and the 460m. It probably won't change the 460m pricing, but I'm willing to bet Nvidia snapped their fingers and said, "Damn, we can't milk our mobile cards for 4 times what they're worth anymore."Seriously, how could they charge 800 dollars or some such crap for half the power of their 600 dollar cards?[/citation]

it does sound like they are screwing you, at first. but you have to think about it. with a full size card, they have how much space and cooling to work with? and how much space do they have with a notebook? pluss less people buy a notbook that high powered, so they have to recupe the costs of production somehow.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
"These desktop replacement notebooks are designed to run primarily from a wall outlet anyway"

So all of your that cry about the battery life, the price, the weight.... its an elite desktop replacement. It was never meant to be power efficient, lightweight nor cheap. You don't buy this kinda stuff cause u need it - you buy it cause u don't.

dkaral

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Should be compared to GTX 485M. Remember 485M is around 40% faster than a 480M according to notebookcheck.

$5G for a high end gaming laptop is what you would expect to pay.

A bit of a written rule over the years for me is that you can build the best PC for $5000 (with all of the performance bits but ditch the teenage blinged up case) ... it still applies.

Crunch the numbers for yourself and include CF or SLI and you will see it works.

$5G in a laptop fors out the best "mobile" money can buy ... will this is about right ... unless you want a bigger SSD I guess.

Nice article crash.

i_am_aronman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I think i will wait for ASUS or some other big company implements this into a cheaper laptop, one that would be better to carry around. Maybe you would be able to play some of your games from your desktop and continue them in the car or at your parents place.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Asus would make a laptop with a weaker GPU that the top of the line (they have used top of the line twice in history that I know of...the W90 and the original G73 with 5870m) that would have much worse build quality. There is a reason they cost less ;)

And as for the laptop in question here, I came to see the bench numbers, not the price. Eurocom is one of the most expensive Clevo resellers out there. You can get the EXACT same hardware (yes all their custom hardware is total marketing BS - standard Clevo build) from any number of retailers. And for $850 less the i7 950 is MORE than sufficient (at least would be for me). Then upgrade your hard drives and memory yourself because only intelligent people are usually buying these laptops and you have a godly laptop around $3500. Much more reasonable in the world of high end laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS