AMD's Mobility Radeon HD 6970 In CrossFire On Eurocom's Panther

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the future can you toss in a game like Battlefied Bad Company 2. Sometimes I wonder how much games are optimized for a GPU makes a differance and since BFBC2 was optimized for AMD that should point that out. Not that I care for this review as I will never pay 5K for a "gaming" laptop.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I must agree with all the comments. 5K for such a huge ugly machine and 22min battery life is ridiculous. Not only that but they could have at least included an RGB LED 1920x1200 LCD along with a true SSD drive for that price. Eurocom must be greedy as hell.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]"Eurocom prepared a custom system with a pair of its new Radeon HD 6970M modules in CrossFire"How much did Eurocom paid tomshardware for this kind of advertising?!?! It's a CLEVO. eurocom is just a brand. and a bad one. bad costumer support and overpriced systems. you can buy the same clevo model with the same specs in another brand and save a couple thousand dolars!!![/citation]Not likely, Eurocom got the cards and cable first. They "paid" for shipping both ways, and if you come up with a great product you can get the same deal!

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
It would be nice to see some benchmarks of desktop cards (5850, 5870, 6850, 6870), so we can see how slow these things are in comparison.

pacostrano

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
only 1 years warranty jezz that not a lot for a 5200$ laptop

I have a Asus G73JH and fo a laptop of 1700$ I have 2 years warranty

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pacostrano[/nom]only 1 years warranty jezz that not a lot for a 5200$ laptopI have a Asus G73JH and fo a laptop of 1700$ I have 2 years warranty[/citation]Yeh, anyone buying at that price might want to spring for the $259 upgrade to three-years on this thing.

keolien

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]$5G for a high end gaming laptop is what you would expect to pay.A bit of a written rule over the years for me is that you can build the best PC for $5000 (with all of the performance bits but ditch the teenage blinged up case) ... it still applies.Crunch the numbers for yourself and include CF or SLI and you will see it works.$5G in a laptop fors out the best "mobile" money can buy ... will this is about right ... unless you want a bigger SSD I guess.Nice article crash.[/citation]

What? 5 grand? Do you build your computers out of gold? Know what you're doing and it you don't need to spend more than 2000 for top of the line performance.

Gaming laptops are a garbage genre. Spend the money on a real machine.

G

So, if your job requires you to go from place to place, and you want a good gaming machine, you should take a desktop and monitor and keyboard etc with you... nah i'll be right thanks. Not everyone has the option of using a desktop to game on anymore.

Metaspherz

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I think that a lot of people have forgotten that state-of-the-art portable computers have always been expensive. Early adopters always have had to pay the premium for exclusivity. Two and a half decades ago the TRS-80 Model 100 cost me $800 for a very simple 8k text tablet that I used for writing my stories and articles. 8 lines of dot matrix text and about 40 characters each. The 5 1/4 floppy drive was $300 more. Adjusting for inflation I can safely say that it (and the floppy drive) was equivalent to about 5 grand today. It cost a lot more for a lot less compared to the above gaming notebook. But I was very excited to have a portable, rechargable device to write on almost anywhere I went. My first laptop computer cost around $2500. It was an ugly beige colored Compaq and if I remember correctly it had just a 40 megabyte harddrive. Easily equivalent to $7 grand today.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]fstrthnu[/nom]You could save almost $500 by using Sandy Bridge instead of the old i7s[/citation]
That is, if you could buy Sandy Bridge right now.

LAMINI

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Whats sad is people posting that it is sad that someone would pay for this. Obviously, those complaining are not the ones who would buy it and use computers as toys and/or for little productivity use. Some of us in the industry depend on the power crunching of our workstations, the more power, the more time saved. Bottom line of this machine is, I dont have to haul around a 50lb full tower computer and LCD or stuff a desktop in my suitcase when I travel to get my WORK done when I can do it with a laptop (if I had that kind of cash, but like anything else you want/need, you save up and invest in it after considering all variables).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]That is, if you could buy Sandy Bridge right now.[/citation]I already shot his comment down in a previous response: Nothing was available in SLI/CrossFire SB notebooks, and you couldn't "just buy something" that never existed.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Funny thing is, most people are complaining about the price. The way it has ALWAYS been, and will always be, with new tech is the first out charges a premium. Look at the level of tech and how it performs. Price drops quicker then Micheal Jackson's pants at a kid's birthday party. In about a year, you'll be able to get this setup from another manufacturer for half the price, or better. Always been that way, always will. Will there still be desktop replacement laptops for 5k? Yes. Why? New tech. The cycle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.