News AMD's Momentum is Ryzen in European DIY Market

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
AMD's Ryzen line of CPUs is encroaching on Intel in Europe. Read more here.
Tweakers.png

MATTHEW CONNATSER
@Talpss177

Matthew Connatser is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers hardware component news.

Competition is good.
I hope that Intel will do something to combat the long term trend.
But... I note that Q1 2019 the trend reversed .
I also hear that some ryzen prices are being lowered.
What might be going on?

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Competition is good.
I hope that Intel will do something to combat the long term trend.
But... I note that Q1 2019 the trend reversed .
What might be going on?
The lower prices is to help clear current stock to make way for the new Zen2 chips that are around the corner.

InvalidError

Titan
What might be going on?
CPU manufacturers slashing prices on existing models in the run-up to next-gen launches and also following launches used to be the norm 15+ years ago even for Intel. AMD never really stopped discounting mature parts surrounding new launches simply because it has that much more difficulty clearing inventory of older parts. Better off making less profit on existing old stock than having to outright write it off as no longer marketable.

Intel does not have this problem because most of its sales are booked months in advance so Intel can afford to set a last-order date to make sure production ends with almost no unsold parts. AMD doesn't have the long-term high volume commitments to smooth out production and plan phase-out this way.

Finally an article we can comment on. The Intel shortage is going to last in to the 4th Quarter according to some of the big OEMs I've talked to. That gives AMD more time to get more market share. What I'm wondering is how many will switch back to Intel when they finally get their shortage issue fixed.

Last edited:

hannibal

Distinguished
Almost all... that is big problem to amd. It has ro sell their products at so low price that They don`t get revenues to put in development and still people buy Intel if They can because Intel ”just works”...
Hopefully the situation change, but so far there has not been marks to that direction. It is even worse in gpu side,,,

Back before the Intel Sandy Bridge line started AMD was popular and I sold a lot of AMD CPUs. So there are a lot of AMD fan boys out there. Heck in my home 4 out 5 desktops ran AMD back then now it's 5 out of 6 run Intel but I may go AMD when the 3000 series comes out making it 2 out of 6. Many have been waiting for AMD to give them a viable option vs Intel. Now they have Ryzen, AMD has a good product to compete with Intel. So if the old AMD fan boys are still out there they will probably happly give Ryzen a go, the question is how many Intel main-liners will and if they will go back to Intel later.

TRENDING THREADS