News AMD's Navi to be Refreshed With Next-Gen RDNA Architecture in 2020

hannibal

Distinguished
Like Nvidia have 1600 series non raytrasing and 2000 series raytrasing variants... that could be possible. Now highend raytrasing cards and non raytrasing (too weak) will remain in low end to keep prices down and bring low end raytrasing when and if hardware becomes fast enough in coming years to support raytrasing Also in low end...

I am going to take a random shot in the dark and go based on their previous releases and say the top two or so GPUs will be RDNA2 with the rest just being renamed RDNA cards. A refresh is not typically a new uArch.
I agree. It's been this way with the rx-400 series/fury and the rx-500 series/vega. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch for RTG to do the same thing again.

Like Nvidia have 1600 series non raytrasing and 2000 series raytrasing variants... that could be possible. Now highend raytrasing cards and non raytrasing (too weak) will remain in low end to keep prices down and bring low end raytrasing when and if hardware becomes fast enough in coming years to support raytrasing Also in low end...

Except the 1600s are Turing based cards. I am talking like say the RX 200 series. The R9 290 was the only new uArch in the bunch, Being Hawaii based. The R9 280X was just a rebranded HD 7970GHz, Tahiti. And everything below it was just rebranded HD 7XX0 models.

SO I would assume maybe 2 new models with the rest being refreshed older top models renamed for the new naming convention.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
That's what it sounds like to me. I despise this rebranding crap.

Heck, I'm an electronics engineer that works in the industry and I get confused as to which models are the new products and which ones are just repackaged leftovers. I can only imagine how tough it is for Joe Sixpack.

That's what it sounds like to me. I despise this rebranding crap.

Heck, I'm an electronics engineer that works in the industry and I get confused as to which models are the new products and which ones are just repackaged leftovers. I can only imagine how tough it is for Joe Sixpack.
Joe Sixpack doesn't care, his son Kevin does. Newer is better.
Now we could be getting a Polaris like refresh with the same chip enjoying better thermals and frequencies on a tweaked process AND a new top range, or simply a slightly overclocked range with a new top range (like 7770 and the r5 250), or even some rebadging with the new top range (like Tahiti)

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jan 30, 2020
AMD has got a long way to go. Since 1080ti theyve been trying to catch up. I'll be happy if they get nvidia to lower prices.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Did no one actually read the article? It talks about how the word "refresh", in the context in which it was used, likely referred to adding new RDNA2 "big-Navi" cards to the lineup, not rebadged cards.

I mean, most of the existing Navi cards came out within the last month or two. Seems a little early to talk about rebadging them.

Did no one actually read the article? It talks about how the word "refresh", in the context in which it was used, likely referred to adding new RDNA2 "big-Navi" cards to the lineup, not rebadged cards.

I mean, most of the existing Navi cards came out within the last month or two. Seems a little early to talk about rebadging them.

I think it would be a bad choice to not have at least new models even if its just 5750XT or even 5700XTX to show improvements. Otherwise there is no "refresh" they are just releasing a new top end GPU.

neblogai

Distinguished

I've read the article, but I only see Toms being confused. Original statement by AMD was clear enough (2020 lineup will consist of RDNA2 plus refresh of current Navi lineup), and this latest answer Toms got does not contradict it.