AMD's new Ryzen 9950X and 9900X CPUs are already heavily discounted below MSRP

Giroro

Splendid
I would be suspicious of that $559 9950X.

I've been tracking the 7950X and 7950X3D pricing on amazon because I keep seeing them listed at $449 and I thought that was an interesting price. Every afternoon a 3rd party seller with few/no store reviews lists the processor at that price, then it's gone by evening. The next day, a completely different store with few/new store reviews posts it at that price around the same time of day, then it goes away again.

It's weird that it's always a different seller. I think something is up.
I think the 9950X might be seeing that same suspicious pricing pattern from unvetted sellers, so keep an eye out.

Although Amazon itself has the 7950X at $451 today, that one seems legit.

Aug 12, 2024
Sounds like the same old marketing tactic of inflating the price at launch to make the "real" price seem like a good deal.

After paying the $649 I got the price match refund to $623 this morning. Either way... the 7950X is $513... and that $110 difference might be a dealbreaker for some but I'll take the performance bump. When you do the math I'm paying like $10 for every 1% increase in performance over the 7950X.

Why say no to that? :cheese:

Without the awful marketing leading up to the release I don't think this would have happened quite so quickly (well maybe the 9900X because the dual 6 core CCD parts seem almost unwanted by the DIY community). The only time any of these are going to be worth the money over their Zen 4 counterpart is if you're doing workloads that they're disproportionately good at. If you have a system that works and aren't making money off of those things it'd still be better to wait for lower prices though.

Personally speaking the 9950X is the only one of the 4 CPUs that's a clear winner over Zen 4 parts and that's because its power consumption is flat out lower.

Looking forward to the end of the year to see what else AMD has planned and what the performance on Intel's ARL looks like.

Reactions: TeamRed2024