News AMD's New Ryzen Processors Listed for Sale in Europe, 5800X3D at $475

For AMD to be charging that much money, it has to be one of these:
1- They want to strong-arm their captive audience (AM4 users that were waiting for 3D stacked stuff).
2- The CPU is really that good and the initial, internal, benchmarks didn't make it justice (fat chance) and it smokes the i7 12700 siblings and above.
3- This is just initial pricing before they offer it at huge discounts, because no one will actually buy it, even given the above.
4- They're just stupid.

I'd like to think 1 or 3, but 4 is looking quite feasible.

Regards.

I will definitely buy it and sell my 3900x for half the cost or more. For me if it reaches parity with the 12700/k its a win for me and the platform I will be on for the coming 4-6 years.
doubt it.

the "benefit" is only in applications that will USE that extra cache.

you are better off just waiting for zen 4.

a "possible" 10% increase over 5800x....for $120 more?
hell naw. thats almost as bad as intel selling a new cpu that is worse than old one.

doubt it.

the "benefit" is only in applications that will USE that extra cache.

you are better off just waiting for zen 4.

a "possible" 10% increase over 5800x....for $120 more?
hell naw. thats almost as bad as intel selling a new cpu that is worse than old one.
A 10% increase over a 5800x which is already a 20-30% increase over my 3900x where I want it seems worth it as the zenith of the AM4 platform I have invested in is worth it for me. Zen 4 will incur a large and relatively wasted expense compared to the projected performance it will give me over even a 5800x. Why would I spend hundreds more on a new platform when I can just drop in a new CPU that will probably be marginally worse. Worse case scenario the 5800x3d is worse or the same as the 5800x and I will just get that instead which will be considerably cheaper.

For AMD to be charging that much money, it has to be one of these:
1- They want to strong-arm their captive audience (AM4 users that were waiting for 3D stacked stuff).
2- The CPU is really that good and the initial, internal, benchmarks didn't make it justice (fat chance) and it smokes the i7 12700 siblings and above.
3- This is just initial pricing before they offer it at huge discounts, because no one will actually buy it, even given the above.
4- They're just stupid.

I'd like to think 1 or 3, but 4 is looking quite feasible.

Regards.
I think 1 and then stocks will be non existent

A 10% increase
"possible" again its only a benefit if it uses that xtra cache. cpu is actually slower if it doesnt (due to lower clockspeeds than x version)
also that was on a 5900x (which means likely even less benefit as its 5800x)

Why would I spend hundreds more on a new platform
AMD's already said AM5 will have similar life that AM4 had meaning its gonna have a long term upgrade path.

also pcie5.0 (more future proof)

also do u need to upgrade? a 3900x is a good cpu.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well this is cheaper than I expected. And all in all this is halo product just like Nvidia 3090 and AMD 6900xt in gpu segment and intel top model in CPU parts. Fast, but not for those who seek bang for the buck solution!

"possible" again its only a benefit if it uses that xtra cache. cpu is actually slower if it doesnt (due to lower clockspeeds than x version)
also that was on a 5900x (which means likely even less benefit as its 5800x)

AMD's already said AM5 will have similar life that AM4 had meaning its gonna have a long term upgrade path.

also pcie5.0 (more future proof)

also do u need to upgrade? a 3900x is a good cpu.
I know of the scenarios in which the extra 3d cache is appreciated and that it has lower base clocks than a typical 5800x, I do not need any information on the differences between it and other similar CPUs.

AM5 will surely have a long lifespan but since I am currently on AM4 and do not see myself building again for 4+ years there is no benefit creating e-waste out of my current computer to spend 600+ dollars on a new platform.

Couple of things about "future proofing" as it seems pertinent. First off, its an objectively useless thing to attempt to achieve when 2-4 years later something many times faster will dwarf any performance 5 has over 4 et cetera. Secondly, PCIe 5 is nearly useless as it is already much faster than nearly all of the products currently on the market.

Need to upgrade? Well that is a question that has no answer that is not opinionated, but since that is my opinion I will say, yes. The 3900x is more of a productivity chip than I require compared to the things I will benefit from like fewer, more potent cores. I agree that the 3900x is still a completely relevant chip and I have not decided if I am going to get a 5800x or 5800x3d yet, I await benchmarks of the 5800x3d.