News AMD's new Zen 5 chip up to 55% faster than Intel's Core i9-13900K in leaked benchmark — AMD's Ryzen 9 9950X purportedly shines in AVX workloads

Another interesting discussion about these benchmark results in the original thread is that the testing used AVX-512,
Next up quicksync against ryzen CPU transcoding....
Like what's the point in comparing AVX512 when it's disabled on the intel chip.

Actual performance of the chip may not showcase similar gains since apps and workloads aren't based entirely on such instructions, and use multiple different parts of the chip.

These are also the floating point figures, so it is going to be a different story with the integer performance tests.
Agreed we have to wait for a full benchmark suite covering different apps and games.

So everyone seeing these results need to contain their excitement as this is mostly AVX 512 workloads which we were expecting big gains.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
It was Intel's poor decision making that led them to disable AVX-512 in Alder Lake and beyond, even though they were trying to get it to work at the last minute, and later cook up AVX10. AVX-512 support clearly helps in some programs that people use, like RPCS3.

Agreed we have to wait for a full benchmark suite covering different apps and games.

So everyone seeing these results need to contain their excitement as this is mostly AVX 512 workloads which we were expecting big gains.

Yup, the above benchmark scores/gains are pretty much not helpful at least for the average gamer. We need to wait for proper third-party benchmarks when this Zen 5 chip hits retail next month.

Although, those high points scored by the new ZEN 5 entrant CPU do showcase the chip's masses raw processing power, but this doesn't mean that the same would also translate to gaming performance as well.

So basically, these tests aren’t necessarily representative of the chip's actual gaming performance, as they could be hammering all the cores of the CPUs at 100% load as well, in specific processing use cases. But this isn't how gaming workloads run though.

Reactions: artk2219

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Surely what is interesting is how much performance a CPU brings, not if it uses magic AVX512 or 10.000 cores for that matter. It is not AMD's fault that Intel isn't delivering.

Of course more benchmarks needs to be run, just as we must of course see how the performance is in real world scenarios, but provided the reported numbers are legit then clearly AMD has the upper hand big time in some circumstances. That Intel disabled AVX512 was not done to bring more value for their customers, it was marketing in order to protect their more expensive offerings.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
Yup, the above benchmark scores/gains are pretty much not helpful at least for the average gamer. We need to wait for proper third-party benchmarks when this Zen 5 chip hits retail next month.

Although, those high points scored by the new ZEN 5 entrant CPU do showcase the chip's masses raw processing power, but this doesn't mean that the same would also translate to gaming performance as well.

So basically, these tests aren’t necessarily representative of the chip's actual gaming performance, as they could be hammering all the cores of the CPUs at 100% load as well, in specific processing use cases. But this isn't how gaming workloads run though.
Imho a 32 threads CPU was never a gaming CPU (same consideration for 13900, 14900 and so on).

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Accusations of AMD using intel's optimizations against it in a demonstration of the juxtaposition implications of it's own optimization cancelation miscalculations .

Recriminations and protestations about the situation may provide vindication once AMD has a chance for verification & validation of the misinformation generation with their interpretation of the calculation simulations in the benchmarking quantization.

Or something to that effect. 🤪

Imho a 32 threads CPU was never a gaming CPU (same consideration for 13900, 14900 and so on).

But my post wasn't just about the flagship AMD processor, but for the entire Zen 5 CPU lineup, more specifically for the AIDA scores. I was just saying we can't correlate AIDA scores directly with gaming performance.

Btw, FWIW, AMD claims the 9950X to be a processor suited for both gamers and creators though.

But why you don't consider these as gaming chips though, including the 13900/14900 from Intel ? Just because of the high core/thread count ?

2024-06-03_9-50-54-1920x1200.jpg

Accusations of AMD using intel's optimizations against it in a demonstration of the juxtaposition implications of it's own optimization cancelation miscalculations .

Recriminations and protestations about the situation may provide vindication once AMD has a chance for verification & validation of the misinformation generation with their interpretation of the calculation simulations in the benchmarking quantization.

Or something to that effect. 🤪

Too many "tion"s there, Sir ! :D

OFF TOPIC.

Now what's this all about ? Rumor or a trustworthy claim? :cautious:

AMD might be working on a re-spec of the Ryzen 7 9700X. A 120 Watt variant might be in the pipeline to possibly compete with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

Based on the information we have learned, AMD has updated its partners with a possible spec change for the 8-core part. It's being said that the AMD Ryzen 7 9700X might get a TDP of 120W which is almost 2x its current and official figure of 65W.

AMD might be revaluating the CPU with a higher TDP to increase base, boost, or both clock speeds.

AMD reportedly considering higher TDP for Ryzen 7 9700X.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-reportedly-considering-higher-tdp-for-ryzen-7-9700x

Last edited:

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
OFF TOPIC.

Now what's this all about ? Rumor or a trustworthy claim? :cautious:

AMD might be working on a re-spec of the Ryzen 7 9700X. A 120 Watt variant might be in the pipeline to possibly compete with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
What I believe is that gamers are starting to not care about the non-X3D parts. Even if you get a couple hundred MHz more boost on non-X3D, that isn't going to be felt. X3D should launch at the same time as non-X3D, and there should be less non-X3D SKUs.

With Ryzen 7000, the 7700X was at 105W, and the 7800X3D at 120W. Maybe the 9800X3D variant with a higher TDP is being detected here? There's little point in competing with the 7800X3D by raising clocks a little, and the reviewers are still going to notice it.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
But my post wasn't just about the flagship AMD processor, but for the entire Zen 5 CPU lineup, more specifically for the AIDA scores. I was just saying we can't correlate AIDA scores directly with gaming performance.

Btw, FWIW, AMD claims the 9950X to be a processor suited for both gamers and creators though.

But why you don't consider these as gaming chips though, including the 13900/14900 from Intel ? Just because of the high core/thread count ?

2024-06-03_9-50-54-1920x1200.jpg
For sure those are capable CPUs but wasted if used only for gaming. A better choice are X3D or i5 for Intel, excellent performance, medium price and less cooling requirements.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
What I believe is that gamers are starting to not care about the non-X3D parts. Even if you get a couple hundred MHz more boost on non-X3D, that isn't going to be felt. X3D should launch at the same time as non-X3D, and there should be less non-X3D SKUs.

With Ryzen 7000, the 7700X was at 105W, and the 7800X3D at 120W. Maybe the 9800X3D variant with a higher TDP is being detected here? There's little point in competing with the 7800X3D by raising clocks a little, and the reviewers are still going to notice it.
Maybe AMD can raise clock more than "a little". 😉

Reactions: usertests
X3D should launch at the same time as non-X3D, and there should be less non-X3D SKUs.

Not same time, but just two months after the launch of the Non-X3D SKUs.. I suppose late Q3 or early Q4 launch.

Our source on the Computex show floor tells us AMD plans to launch 9000X3D processors in September. This matches the staggered release of X870E motherboards that we anticipate will arrive the same month. There’s no hard indication of which CPUs will arrive first, but an educated guess from historical releases suggests it’ll likely start with Ryzen 9 9950X3D and possibly Ryzen 9 9900X3D.

via Club386

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Not same time, but just two months after the launch of the Non-X3D SKUs.. I suppose late Q3 or early Q4 launch.
"Should" meaning that's what "should" happen, not what will (this time).

I think demand for non-X3D among gamers will plummet and sales will be hurt out of the gate as everyone waits for X3D. Non-X3D should be low-end stuff like the 7500F.

I think demand for non-X3D among gamers will plummet and sales will be hurt out of the gate as everyone waits for X3D. Non-X3D should be low-end stuff like the 7500F.

IMO, not all gamers might be interested in buying these slightly expensive X3D processors, because not everyone wants the fastest and the greatest.

I think AMD is trying to shoot themselves at their foot this time by releasing theX3D parts so close to the launch of the non-X3D SKUs.

I mean doing this might also cannibalize the sales of the non-X3D parts as well. Previous X3D parts launched after 7-8 months of time period/gap. There would still be gamers who might be more interested in the non-X3D parts though.

KnightShadey

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020

Wasn't there a recent leak or comment that the X3D parts would be coming quicker than usual for Z5?
I could've sworn I saw that just before/after travelling.

OK, found it, guess technically September is 'just 2 months' later versus the previous predictions of CES.

Last edited: