AMD's Phenom II X4 TWKR: We Give It The LN2 Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Well that is quite the processor. I hope they aren't going to use these to "show off" the Phenom II x4 line suggesting that these are comparable parts. This is a product that was specifically engineered for this use after all, not representative of the consumer offerings. I am very interested to see what quad 4890's are capable of.

raptor550

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I guess my CPU is holding back my GPU. I'm interested in setting up some home made water cooling to get some extra frames.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I think tom's hardware should have used Liquid Helium like the people that broke the last AMD record. They might be able to the same. Great Article, I hope AMD will at least produce a limited series.

Will water cooling be enough for this CPU? If so count me in.

playerone

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Great article. But I think this just kind of backfires, most of us would really like to get our hands on a better chip and can't. The latest 955 is really no better than the 940 when it comes to overclocking and it is very likely that the 965 due out shortly will be the same.

My January bought 940 and just bought Asus N4M82 combo runs nicely at 3.9 on air and though I'm not done with it yet I don’t expect it to go much further while being stable. I could actually get a slower 955 if I where to buy right now.
What I would actually have liked to see would have been the soon to be released 965 and see how that does on some good air and water cooling rather than some chip that none of us can get our hands on. Will the 965 be a better overclocker, able to break 4gigs stable more consistently? Very doubtful.

Though this was cool (ha), its just stupidly impractical for those that like extreme overclocking but actually also use their computer. Thanks for the show.

Schip

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Well that is quite the processor. I hope they aren't going to use these to "show off" the Phenom II x4 line suggesting that these are comparable parts. This is a product that was specifically engineered for this use after all, not representative of the consumer offerings. I am very interested to see what quad 4890's are capable of.[/citation]

You're absolutely right that these chips are not representative of the Phenom II line up at all. However, AMD designed the whole phenom II line up to be very overclocker friendly and these TWKR parts are "just a handpicked and binned processor" as stated here at Legit Reviews. Clearly if these TWKR processors were engineered this way, they could more easily be reproduced and then sold. Cheers!

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Vote me down. hahaha

This was all done b4 - Dec 08. Vids on utube. w PhII 940. THG is late to the game due to spintel bias. again. (well look it up if you don't know).

Nice lame flames from the dark spintel fanboys here. You guys really have a way with word slurs.

Note also - the "real oclox team" uses "AMD Platform Advantage" re "performance boost" ! (hint) Usually THG mixes in some nvidiot vidcard so as to impair the system. (not to mention the sick ram they often find under the bench).

Overall this is no big deal - just another "keep me hangin on" trick. Phenom II's you can actually buy have already demo'd in excess of 7 GHZ - 2 months ago !! - this is a waste of TWKR !!

Oh, almost forgot - the bit about "real game" benches don't matter - ummm, really - oclox while still performing does not matter? - what if the oclox slows down actual THROUGHPUT. What then? Think maybe you should test that? If you can't afford to run in the oclox kitchen cos it costs too much - then get out of it - it's all been done before anyway.

Sorry - this is so unimpressive - ok - you can vote me down now - cos I know too much. I am not impressed with continuing biased reporting aimed at down-rating AMD (or minimizing accomplishment). (And yes, the EU really did set a fine record re an7i7rus7 - more coming on that? That's news of an ongoing nature). This cold oclox is ancient history.

And some said about 955 can't - my buddy has 955 @ 4.1 on H2O - it was an accident in AOD - his mouse slipped and he hit 4.1 instead of 4.0. Others hit 3.6+ with just the multiplier. Others undervolt (?) (!) and stable, for power savings.

Also you want to look at "OCZ ram for AMD cpu's" (the platinum, of course). But all the PhII's do in excess of 3.5 om air anyway - what's the big deal with these can't perform spintel fanboys - lmao.

ok - thx for the vote down :) :) later. :) :)

playerone

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]Vote me down. hahahaThis was all done b4 - Dec 08. Vids on utube. w PhII 940. THG is late to the game due to spintel bias. again. (well look it up if you don't know[/citation]

Been living under a rock eh? What you posted was old, this is new. New TWKR chip that has been released to just a few and NDA expired just today. Look for "TWKR" reviews on other sites as well. It just it just makes some who whish for better feel even worse...

Lets see some of the latest yeilds being tested and if really better IMO think that would do better for AMD than this stunt will.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Just a small point. AMD is doing "live" research with these "freaker tweaker" chips. What they learn from this will be used in later releases - and we all get to watch!.

But don't worry - real world game benches - don't matter. :) :)

- sigh goes away shaking his head and rolling eyes wondering when - when will they see thru this joke. As if this were something real. Really. (attract more readers, better stats, more ads) (facts? news? what facts? what news?)

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
@ "playerone"

- yeh - I know - spintel is scared of a new FX - and you get paid to discredit anything resembling that.

955 is a rolls royce in disguise

965 is COMING SOON - more to follow. an evolving parade, anytime you want to join in.

you won't like either of them - so don't buy them - you can always get some pseudo wannabe turbo boosty thing from chipzilla, and pay for the power sucking socalled uncore - wtf is an uncore anyway - such propaganda - IT'S PART OF THE LAME CHIP used to HIDE the actual TDP.

But we are off topic now aren't we - and that's what you want fanboy - general disruption. (RIGHT?) (go ahead, insult me - the facts remain - monopoly antitrust)

AMD is so HOT right now - and you are scared of that. Everything is selling out - unavailable - hard to find. That's a problem for your "spin", spinner. Don't waste time trying to convince me otherwise - some of the noobs are your unwary victims - and that's your prey.

reveal you....... :) :) (YEH, VOTE ME DOWN)

bob boblaw

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Am I the only one to notice the misuse of "then" instead of "than" throughout the article?
Cooling pots are more then just containers to hold sub-zero liquids.
There is nothing more frustrating then a mediocre component limiting your benchmark potential.
Seriously, who proofreads these articles?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]@ "playerone" - yeh - I know - spintel is scared of a new FX - and you get paid to discredit anything resembling that.955 is a rolls royce in disguise965 is COMING SOON - more to follow. an evolving parade, anytime you want to join in.you won't like either of them - so don't buy them - you can always get some pseudo wannabe turbo boosty thing from chipzilla, and pay for the power sucking socalled uncore - wtf is an uncore anyway - such propaganda - IT'S PART OF THE LAME CHIP used to HIDE the actual TDP. But we are off topic now aren't we - and that's what you want fanboy - general disruption. (RIGHT?) (go ahead, insult me - the facts remain - monopoly antitrust)AMD is so HOT right now - and you are scared of that. Everything is selling out - unavailable - hard to find. That's a problem for your "spin", spinner. Don't waste time trying to convince me otherwise - some of the noobs are your unwary victims - and that's your prey.reveal you....... (YEH, VOTE ME DOWN)[/citation]

Your rhetoric doesn't change any facts.

playerone

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sighQ2[/nom]@ "playerone" - yeh - I know - spintel is scared of a new FX - and you get paid to discredit anything resembling that.955 is a rolls royce in disguise965 is COMING SOON - more to follow. an evolving parade, anytime you want to join in.you won't like either of them - so don't buy them - you can always get some pseudo wannabe turbo boosty thing from chipzilla, and pay for the power sucking socalled uncore - wtf is an uncore anyway - such propaganda - IT'S PART OF THE LAME CHIP used to HIDE the actual TDP. But we are off topic now aren't we - and that's what you want fanboy - general disruption. (RIGHT?) (go ahead, insult me - the facts remain - monopoly antitrust)AMD is so HOT right now - and you are scared of that. Everything is selling out - unavailable - hard to find. That's a problem for your "spin", spinner. Don't waste time trying to convince me otherwise - some of the noobs are your unwary victims - and that's your prey.reveal you....... (YEH, VOTE ME DOWN)[/citation]
You must be a double agent "Fanboy" no idiot would troll off fanboy AMD crap like you are without knowing how stupid it sounds.

FX? Are you kidding? Wow, yeah, big advantage LOL. My new 980a (actually rebaged 780a) and 940 combo run just fine, 3.9 on air and thats under 24/7 load with fans running at a decently quiet 800 rpm (two 38x120mm), can run at 4gigs at 1200 rpm as well.
You really think the 965 are gonna be something? Go ahead and hold your breath, I'll bet they do know better in O/C than a 955 which is no better than my 940. Really, you are just mocking AMD, but thats ok, I just prefer the underdog.

Schip

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dangerous_23[/nom]where can i get a pci-e expansion slot like the one in the last photo?[/citation]
I think I found one here although I'm not sure of cost. Gives an idea of where to start at any rate.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Smart Move on AMDs Part. Put a product out there with very limited availability and you cant buy one either. Creates a "mystique" effect.

playerone

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Yeah, really smart marketing. Like Hey dont buy anything from us right now (even though we are just dying) Just wait kiddies for this mystery chip to surface...and really there is nothing coming except the 965, which every 940 on up is capable of at the same voltage setting. Sorry, I would just rather they play low key and then actually release something rather than this BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.