AMD's Pre-CES Haul: 12nm Ryzen CPUs, 7nm GPUs, 2000 Series Proccessors, X470 Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
7% IPC improvement per generation AND higher clocks, AND lower cost AND lower power usage?

Ryzen will get dramatically better, really fast.

Hope these new CPUs pan out. I will be (finally) upgrading my main work PC (a positively ancient i5 760 from 2010 - the longest I've ever used the same CPU) this year, and only care about bang for the buck. If I can get an AMD chip that is faster at lower thread apps/games (most apps/games don't really utilise a lot of threads) than an i5 8600K (my current pick) for the same money, then I have no qualms about grabbing that instead (especially if the mobo's are cheaper too).

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Glad i waited. I wanted to get the threadripper. This will bring the 1900 series prices down. I can still eat then. I'll still go hungry but less so LOL

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
ONLY Athlon based supposedly were affected by Spectre, do a wee bit of reading first DA_MAZ ^.^

On another note, 400 series will be less expensive, sure, that is AMD intention, does not mean their customers (Asus, MSI etc) pass the savings on, and sure as hell does not mean the resellers (Newegg, Amazon et al) will ensure such either.

I recall the 400 series launch, claim $200 first VR ready graphics card, sure if you were REALLY LUCKY and USA specifically, it is fine if they make a really top notch custom cooler, not so cool if you get some putzes like XFX putting removable fans on there (which they all should have) and wanting an extra ~$100 extra.

Also, show some love to us Canadian folks, often enough, what should be a fair price gets morphed into a ~$30-$70 price increase AND HST/shipping, turns into a not so fair price..free trade my arse ^.^

hgchuong

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Would love to have seen some ultra-low power chips like the ones used in NUCs.

Fingers crossed they'll have something in the near future.

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012

Thx for your answer.

I read quite a bit about Meltdown/Spectre, but I haven't come accross information that says no AMD processors aren't affected by Spectre except Athlon based chips (and I guess this means Ryzen chips aren't affected by Meltdown/Spectre in the slightest bit?).

I would highly appreciate it, if you could link to source stating this.

regards,
DA_Maz

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Toms posted a news article on what they know about Meltdown and Spectre. AMD and Intel will not have chips out for at least 4 years that will address these issues and they will probably have notable teething issues as they would be new architectures. AMD CPUs are substantially better at dealing with these security flaws due to their architecture differences. Recent AMD CPUs should be immune to Meltdown. The only instance of infecting an AMD machine with a Spectre class of attack was by changing the system settings. Much more difficult to get that to succeed.

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012

Yeah that's what I've read as well on tomshardware. Yet the poster above me claimed that AMD CPUs that are not based on Athlon architecture (e.g. Ryzen I think) aren't affected even by Spectre. I can't recall having read anything specificly about AMD Athlon CPUs in this regard alltogether and that's why I asked for a source, since every tabloid has covered this thing by now, making the search for in-depth articles very time-consuming. So far I only thought Meltdown: only Intel CPUs affected; Spectre: Everyone affected, but much harder to utlise (I think you have to be targeted, as in the attack requires to consider your specific machine and OS and is not something that easily works on all similar CPUs regardless of anything else).

Thx for your time estimate though. I thought maybe AMD and Intel are trying to outdo each other by being the first to announce how they will cope with this very prominent problem - you know kind of like a competition to be the only one to satisfy the enduser's wish for data security.

Status
Not open for further replies.