AMD's Q3 2014 Financials Are In; Chip Maker Is Surviving

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I think in the desktop arena they need to either clearly differentiate between the AM3+ and FM2+ platform or retire AM3+ OR upgrade it. I feel like they want AM3+ to be their enthusiast platform and FM2+ to be the mainstream platform. This is hard to do because of how closely linked in price brackets most motherboards and CPUs are when comparing the two platforms.

What really makes it complex is that AM3+ is so outdated compared to Z97 and X99 it makes it really hard for me and others to recommend the FX line-up. Even though it is antiquated, right now AM3+ is a competitive value especially versus Z97.

That doesn't account for the fact that many are afraid that AMD is moving on from AM3+ soon and just working on APUs. They really have dug a hole for themselves. I hope after all the restructuring and stuff is done they make their products more cut and dry.

That's strange considering all the Xbox's and PS4's that'll sell this christmas with their SOC solution.

I think more development of their SOC to offer gaming level graphics performance with reasonable battery life will make them a sales success. They are almost their in terms of graphics performance, but they need to make serious progress in thermals and power consumption. The 20nM process might help them out a bit.

AMD needs a new CPU line. I have a Thuban at 3.7Ghz and dont consider there weaker per core fx-8350 an upgrade. AMD needs a 12 to 16 core or equivalent cpu to get my business. Some time next year Ill be looking for an upgrade and it may be with Intel. AMD this is a weak up call to come with a reasonable performance boost.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Wouldn't a more reasonable solution be stronger modules (higher performance per clock cycle) instead of tacking on more; especially when desktop applications aren't written to utilize so many threads and cores?

AMD needs a scalable architecture that is powerful and power efficient on both the desktop and laptop sector that can satisfy both the mainstream and enthusiast audience that they cater to.

AMD really needs a restart in the CPU segment.
AMD admitted that bulldozer architecture was a failure and is working in a new architecture with the code name Zen (I assume they have given up the idea of "more cores" and they are going to more performance per core).
I really hope they will create a CPU that will come closer to Sandybridge in perfomance per core per GHz. This will allow AMD to be competitive again like they were with thuban (AMD's best performance per core per GHz so far).

I am just waiting to see the results...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Well, Excavator might actually prove to be quite potent (if, say, compared to an i5-2500K), but AMD's best hope for it would be to reduce power consumption than provide blazing performance.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
All this talk about new FX chips and what not is irrelevant - the enthusiast segment is a drop in their fiscal bucket. Their revenues are dropping because their chips are only widespread in junk laptops and desktops - few companies are shipping mid range or high end AMD based systems, for whatever reason (and I hope it is not Intel abusing its position, because their higher tier parts are usually really solid).

But AMDs segment right now is getting devoured from the bottom up. Chromebooks are all running ARM or Intel chips. They effectively invalidate AMDs market position given their price point. I do not think there is much of a market left for growth in desktop computers - Intel is trouncing them in NUCs, which are the end game of general purpose desktops. And more and more people are forsaking their aging laptops and desktops to just use their phone for everything.

I would not be surprised if AMD has to kill their CPU business and start shipping ARM SoCs with radeon graphics. But that would be awful for consumers because so much software is Intel locked and will never be recompiled for ARM, and as such Intel would runaway with a fortune on their ISA which they do not license to anyone else. But from AMD's perspective using ARMs CPU cores and fighting Nvidia in the premium SoC market might be their only option.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I am a long time fan of AMD but i am forced to switch to Intel+ Nvidia, AMD just failed to deliver again, and again.
I sure hope they recover for competition sake so that Intel+Nvidia don't gain monopoly. Alas unless a miracle product comes out i don't see AMD surviving the PC market much longer.

I think you hit the nail on the head there with "miracle product". They need high end x86 cpu cores with more performance per core/clock that they can charge a premium for and actually make some money, rather than what they are doing now which is drop prices below what they should be to sell an FX chip and not making enough margin. I also thing their APU chips are too expensive, you can get a faster dual core intel CPU and a dedicated gpu for the same price. Too many chip makers are making arm cpu's, unless AMD can do it significantly better/faster/more efficient with another "miracle product" and blow everyone else out of the water, i dont see them breaking any ground there. Bring us a Miracle product AMD!

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

The FX line of Bulldozer and Vishera were already admitted to being insufficient by Rory Reid. Won't be till 2016 that we see a brand new architecture hitting the shelves. They brought back the guy that put AMD up against Intel in the fight for supremacy back in the early to mid 2000's. They'll also be using a true form of hyperthreading. With codename "Zen". AM3+ isn't worth upgrading to at this point unless your on a budget. There is no indication that excavator will be released as an AM3+ chip.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Their GPU unit is going to take an even bigger hit in the next 3 to 6 months, Nvidia's new GTX 980 series cards are a lot more powerful, energy efficient and priced to compete. Unless AMD has a new set of cards that completely revamps their card line they will continue to take a hit in the GPU market.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

With the 285 being considered weaker than a 280x but still getting close to the same benches, while retaining ~60 watts less energy consumed, less memory required for operation (which reflects Nvidia's maxwells change), I think the 3XX vs 9XX will be a good fight between the GPU's. You are basically right on the money in the sense that the longer AMD waits the more ground Nvidia's going to get.

From what I'm seeing of the reference designs the 9XX series is getting a lot of complaints regarding COIL WHINE that plagued AMD reference cards for quite some time.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
AMD cant compete with intel on high end. how many of you said this? That being said I think their next architecture will be much better, and with the jump to 14nm at roughly the same time as Intel, they should trade blows with I5s. Graphics, yeah its going to be awhile until their new products count this as a huge money whole.

The APU just seems to be an awkward item. They haven't convinced businesses they don't need $800 dollar I5 systems to work email, and excel. I see many places where an I5 is a total waste of money and will never even be brought up to %50 usage. Part of that is from you, part of that is system makers. You are the people others go to. You see I5 it can do amazing things you need it. where as..... an I5.... for email? and viewing pictures?... here is a APU, slightly cheaper, with much better graphics.

Wouldn't a more reasonable solution be stronger modules (higher performance per clock cycle) instead of tacking on more; especially when desktop applications aren't written to utilize so many threads and cores?

AMD needs a scalable architecture that is powerful and power efficient on both the desktop and laptop sector that can satisfy both the mainstream and enthusiast audience that they cater to.
This should change a bit once DX12 comes into play. This said my hobby is map making so I can use as many cores as they make. The new Line AMD is set to make may take until 2017 so I can bank on this. AMD currently has at max an 8 core APU for the consoles. I dont think it would be hard to cut out the gpu part and double up on the cores.

AMD needs to do a refresh not redo over their CPUs to remain competitive in the market. Their Fx series is dead and later revisions are not that much of a punch. Next move of AMD against nvidia's 900 series would be critical for the company. Simply reducing the prices on current line products won't help for longer time.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Well to add to this, AMD is also the last CPU Company that still supports ZIF Based Sockets, and not the Complicated and Delicate CPU System known as LGA that Intel is encouraging people to move to, besides my first full system was on AMD, so I figure I will continue to be with this company.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Well I am one of the few out there who is not so much big on Higher Performance and Overclocking, but just have a system where some Apps work faster and be more stable, heck be lucky that AMD has support for "Energy Saving" and "Power Saving" for most of their current boards, besides having to have an AMD System on a Budget is not Easy, but I myself Built my own computer from it, besides the Video Card I have is NOT From the CPU, that is a different subject there, but should Support DX12 when I checked the information and Lifespan Support on it.

Jeffrey H

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Let alone ZI might likely get voted down by you based that you are a Moderator here,

Unfortunately most computer systems are out of reach on a person's Budget, as we know, the Low and Middle Class are having more problems getting a computer that is in their price range, even in terms of making a "Custom PC", the fact is, I feel we need to give AMD more time to make sure they are making stuff that helps people have a computer, and not having to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.