AMD's Radeon 7000M and Nvidia's GeForce 600M Mobile GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Great, even MORE re-branded GPUs to remember! Good thing I deal only with desktops lately. It'll be a major disappointment for everyone if AMD/nVidia will also pull rebranding trick on their next-gen desktop cards.

Knowing that there will be rebadge GPU for the laptop market is useful (we can safely assume the mid to mid low range of mobile GPU will be ok for a while in the future), but not very exciting at all.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
If you live and love the IT industry, you will learn not to overreact to this marketing phenomenoms, as they are not directed at you.
Also, none of these will refrain either company from developing new products, so stop bitching about rebadging - it's not new, it's bound to happen every now and then, and doesn't harm anyone.

cool! new radeon 7000 series gp...wait, these are just rebadged 6000m gpus. so technically, the 7000 series gpus did debut.... :(
wonder when the real 28 nm gpus will debut. is southern islands platform amd's first designed gpu since they merged ati? iirc the 6000 series was ati's but first amd released.
amd's phenom ii x4 840 could be an example of cpu rebadging. iirc intel rebadged a xeon cpu (i forgot the model number) to pentium extreme edition to compete with then-athlon cpus.
edit: i could be wrong about the rebadging....that was a long time ago, during the time of myths and legends....

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]If you live and love the IT industry, you will learn not to overreact to this marketing phenomenoms, as they are not directed at you.Also, none of these will refrain either company from developing new products, so stop bitching about rebadging - it's not new, it's bound to happen every now and then, and doesn't harm anyone.[/citation]

Care to tell us whom are these directed at, then?

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]stop bitching about rebadging - it's not new, it's bound to happen every now and then, and doesn't harm anyone.[/citation]
If they charge extra money for the re-branded cards vs. their original versions, then it hurts everybody that isn't tech savvy enough to know about this marketing cheat. For those of us that are tech savvy, it's still just plain annoying that we have to remember which is what.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Exactly, and I have a problem with tricking customers into believing they're getting "better" GPU.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
For most, the news of these releases are a bit of a disappointment, as we were hoping for new architecture and 28 nm based desktop GPUs.
This pretty much sums up the article. Weren't we supposed to learn of the desktop GPUs to come four days ago?

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]This pretty much sums up the article. Weren't we supposed to learn of the desktop GPUs to come four days ago?[/citation]
Yes. AMD fail to deliver over and over again.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I also thought that the 6000 series is pretty much rebranded 5000 series. Not quite as bad as this example, but it's been pretty slack going.

AMD have been getting some mileage out of those cards

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]envolva[/nom]Yes. AMD fail to deliver over and over again.[/citation]

I suppose you can do better? Besides, didn't nVidia do the exact same thing? Why blame AMD? AMD has been the underdog in every market, and yet has pushed both Intel and nVidia to do much better, and for a better price each time. Yes, their Bulldozer CPU was very underwhelming. Their APU's for laptops are exceptional, though. Maybe the next iteration of Bulldozer will be much more powerful. Maybe Windows 8 will make it perform much better. I can't say I'm hopeful for either scenario, but I haven't given up on AMD yet. If nothing else, they pushed Intel into creating much more powerful CPU's, they pushed nVidia into creating much more powerful GPU's, and to drop their prices dramatically overnight, and that alone should garner some respect.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]This pretty much sums up the article. Weren't we supposed to learn of the desktop GPUs to come four days ago?[/citation]
What i remember learning is that they launch Q2 onwards...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Great, even MORE re-branded GPUs to remember! Good thing I deal only with desktops lately. It'll be a major disappointment for everyone if AMD/nVidia will also pull rebranding trick on their next-gen desktop cards.[/citation]

does amd at least have confirmed new architecture across the board with the desktop? all i really know is the 2 high end cards are probably the only ones to get new memory. [citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]... instead, we get downgrades. Like Bulldozer.[/citation]

intel stumbled with their first consumer multi thread solution too... i had one...

[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]cool! new radeon 7000 series gp...wait, these are just rebadged 6000m gpus. so technically, the 7000 series gpus did debut.... wonder when the real 28 nm gpus will debut. is southern islands platform amd's first designed gpu since they merged ati? iirc the 6000 series was ati's but first amd released.amd's phenom ii x4 840 could be an example of cpu rebadging. iirc intel rebadged a xeon cpu (i forgot the model number) to pentium extreme edition to compete with then-athlon cpus.edit: i could be wrong about the rebadging....that was a long time ago, during the time of myths and legends....[/citation]

i think rebranding is keeping everything more or less exactly the same, one gen to the next. intel moving xenon to pentium i beleive is a different term, but i cant remember what it is...

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]So... how is that relevant to what I said?[/citation]

he thinks that the intel high end gpus are there because amd fell, when in fact they would be there regardless.

but the fact is, for the die size, they aren't over charging much at all, especially when you figure in everything else.

hell i am willing to bet that most of the high end chips intel put out, at least sense the p2 era, were high cost due to low yeild rates, its not like now where amd can cover losses on bad chips by disabling cores, you had once core on one chip, if its not perfect, everything is broke. also smaller silicon sizes and larger sizes of the chips.

im probably getting a bit off topic though.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Isn't the 6xxx series just a re-branded 5xxx series? WTF is going on? Are they really unable to make smaller transistors? Or they just want to cash in to make up for the recession? Sucks coz I waited for 7xxx to upgrade.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]Isn't the 6xxx series just a re-branded 5xxx series? WTF is going on? Are they really unable to make smaller transistors? Or they just want to cash in to make up for the recession? Sucks coz I waited for 7xxx to upgrade.[/citation]

These are just their mobile chips. I very much doubt that their 7000 series desktop cards are going to be rebranded 6000 series. Possibly some in the lower end will be, but their high end cards will be a new chip.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I was hoping for desktop GPU news :( so it could drop the prices on the current boards.
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]Isn't the 6xxx series just a re-branded 5xxx series? WTF is going on? Are they really unable to make smaller transistors? Or they just want to cash in to make up for the recession? Sucks coz I waited for 7xxx to upgrade.[/citation]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only HD6000 (desktop) rebrand was the HD5770 to HD6770. I have not kept up with the mobile versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.