AMD's 'Radeon VR Ready' GPU Certification Program Designed To Simplify Choice For VR Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it's unnecessary personally. If someone is designing a computer and needs a "VR ready" seal to tell them that the graphics card is within recommended spec for VR, then I can only ponder what type of power supply that person might put in his machine. It makes more sense for pre-built computers, because the people purchasing these are not expected to be tech-savvy at all. But putting them on graphics cards alone, kind of scary, because that means somebody did not do their research. And what about in the future when games become more intense? Will the VR seals on these cards go away?

Then again I'm overthinking a stupid sticker :p

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This is not for people who have done thier homework. These are for consumers that hear about VR and want to get into it. It's much easier to put a label on it that says "yes, this PC will play VR games."

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

This is not for people who have done thier homework. These are for consumers that hear about VR and want to get into it. It's much easier to put a label on it that says "yes, this PC will play VR games."

just because your card should be powerful enough does not mean its capable. i can't remember off the top of my head what it is, but some cards even though they are less powerfull perform better in areas that are required for vr then the more powerful older ones.

i cant remember because i lost interest in vr due to the price and how no computer can do vr without heavily compromising visuals, ill wait till a good chinese knock off comes out with 720p60 per eye. that way ill have a nice, crisp video without any of the scaling crap that makes it look like hell, and a resolution that doesn't require an absolute monster to push.

as for needing 90fps or you will get sick... yea, i get sick playing games now, and when i was a kid, you give it around 3 hours you are over feeling sick, i have no reason to believe this isn't the same.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hopefully the prices will drop down immensely in 2 years with new competition and new innovation coming in. The problem is the world wide economic hmm "crisis" or well not flurishing as few years ago and that the first VR sellers will need more money to cover the research adn the initial productions.
On the other hand i can't wait to have a vr gear myself that will be capable of full 360 degree movement along body movement and body tracking without cables and joysticks.

Cause the unit you bought is an absolute junk turd and you did not do your research. The 295X2 is a 550W rated GPU, and it can draw more current that merits more power even. Apparently your power supply unit did not have working OCP or OPP and sucked.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

It makes a tremendous difference actually.
I did some recording of Vive gameplay with fraps and it made the framerate drop to 60fps from 90, I couldn't last 5 minutes in the game. At the normal 90fps I've played more than a solid hour with no issues whatsoever.
If you want to test the limits of the suggested minimums, be my guest, but don't complain if the experience isn't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.