News AMD's RDNA 3 Will Support DisplayPort 2.0 and UHBR20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I can't find anything conclusive on display stream compression. The folks that make it of course say it's lossy compression but that you will not be able to tell.

What's the advantage of having DisplayPort 2.0 with more bandwidth and not having to use display stream compression? Is there added lag or a shift in color quality?

I have the new view. Sonic 32-in elite with mini LED but it only has HDMI 2.0 ports and display port 1.4 but with display stream compression. I can max out color depth and chroma at 4K 144 Hertz and I can't tell the difference between that and turning off display stream compression in the display and maxing out a 4K 96 Hertz.

I'd really like to see some demos and reviews on the differences, if any, and using display stream compression.

If there is no downside, then there's no real advantage to display port 2.0. I even found that I was able to use my old cables and max out the display at 4K 144 Hertz with DSC but the cables failed with display stream. Compression turned off and trying to max out the bandwidth of the 1.4 port. I could only do 4K at 60 Hertz without getting dropouts. I did end up getting newer certified cables so I can max out the bandwidth of the 1.4 ports.

May 31, 2022
I can't find anything conclusive on display stream compression. The folks that make it of course say it's lossy compression but that you will not be able to tell.

What's the advantage of having DisplayPort 2.0 with more bandwidth and not having to use display stream compression? Is there added lag or a shift in color quality?

I have the new view. Sonic 32-in elite with mini LED but it only has HDMI 2.0 ports and display port 1.4 but with display stream compression. I can max out color depth and chroma at 4K 144 Hertz and I can't tell the difference between that and turning off display stream compression in the display and maxing out a 4K 96 Hertz.

I'd really like to see some demos and reviews on the differences, if any, and using display stream compression.

If there is no downside, then there's no real advantage to display port 2.0. I even found that I was able to use my old cables and max out the display at 4K 144 Hertz with DSC but the cables failed with display stream. Compression turned off and trying to max out the bandwidth of the 1.4 port. I could only do 4K at 60 Hertz without getting dropouts. I did end up getting newer certified cables so I can max out the bandwidth of the 1.4 ports.
Surely you don't need DP 2.0 to power your display, but it's still required for displays with a higher resolution or refresh rate. For >60 Hz with 5K, or ≥50 Hz with 8K, only DP 2.0 can power them.

In addition to the above, it could also be useful for handling multiple DP streams out of a single DP port. Though in the gaming monitor space, this feature is rarely used for some reason.

May 31, 2022
In addition to the above, it could also be useful for handling multiple DP streams out of a single DP port. Though in the gaming monitor space, this feature is rarely used for some reason.
Gamers have spent thousands of dollars on a single graphics card so they cannot afford more monitors.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Status
Not open for further replies.