News AMD's Reference RX 7600 Card Doesn't Fit Some 6+2-Pin Connectors

My understanding was that there weren't going to be very many reference cards sold, OEM only? Don't seem to be any at the usual retailers, just the partner cards.

AMD were actually planning to sell its MBA (Made by AMD) reference cards later on, AFTER the custom cards. But they sent the press/tech reviewers some select samples. This was actually contrary to what was originally planned. Not sure why there was a change in decision though.

The MBA GPU is not yet available for sale though, but the official webstore lists it.

Later on, I think AMD's MBA cards should be available in decent quantities as well, at it's own webstore, if not more than custom AIB cards.

Reactions: gg83 and artk2219

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
Not news.
At least 2 of my last 5 cards required the 6+2pins off my Rosewill Hive be "forced in".
Have also had an instance where I had to take a razor blade to the 6+2.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I try to use straight 8-pin cables, never really liked 6+2 pins since the first time I used PCIe power cables they were dual six pin cards and I only had 6+2 connectors. Quite a mess. Though my A380 is currently using stock EVGA cables, still need to do a chassis swap on that thing at some point. Also want to try and see about a better cooler for the A380. The fan comes on once every few minutes while doing Youtube or browsing, just need to drop it like 2 degrees to get that to stop.

Reactions: artk2219
My understanding was that there weren't going to be very many reference cards sold, OEM only? Don't seem to be any at the usual retailers, just the partner cards.
We asked AMD and were specifically told that it plans to sell the reference cards, both via its own store as well as via branded AIB cards. I don't know how many will get made/sold, though. I think the design looks nice enough, but the actual cooling performance was pretty lackluster.

Reactions: gg83 and artk2219

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
We asked AMD and were specifically told that it plans to sell the reference cards, both via its own store as well as via branded AIB cards. I don't know how many will get made/sold, though. I think the design looks nice enough, but the actual cooling performance was pretty lackluster.

I don't think the RX6600 reference cards were available very long either. Just seems like they like to make a batch for marketing purposes.

This is more of a PSA-type thread/News Topic, which is necessary to raise awareness amongst gamers, even though the issue might not be widespread. It helps others.

OT.

A Spanish retailer, CoolMod, is actually offering a custom AIB Radeon RX 7600 graphics card for just €259.94 (VAT included), which is lower than the official MSRP of €299. The card was discounted by €40 only one day after its release. ;)

This doesn't appear to be an error with the store listing, or a placeholder price. But I hope more stores worldwide follow suit. But I digress. :rolleyes:

COOLMOD-RX7600-1200x564-1.jpg

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
XFX, Sapphire, and Powercolor cards in the US are already available at the new launch MSRP of $270. Does seem like it needs to drop another $20 to make it really sell though.

If I had need of a mid-range card right now, probably get this or the $180 RX 6600.

artk2219

Distinguished
Thats a slight annoyance, nothing a quick shave on the connector couldn't fix, though quite a design oversight. As was mentioned they'll definitely either revise the design and ship out 8 pin extenders. That is of course unless those extenders are cheaper than a redesign, in which case theyll just come with 8 pin extenders going forwards as the "fix". That would make it a problem for a second hand user if it isn't resold with the extender in the future though, stuff rolls down hill i guess.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
There has been an UPDATE. AMD Confirms: RX 7600 Reference Cards in Retail will Not Have Power Connector Flaw.

It seems that TPU got an official confirmation and answer from AMD. To quote the author:

"We are very pleased with the volume of Radeon RX 7600 cards available globally from our AIB partners. We expect RX 7600 reference design cards to be available over the coming weeks with a design that accommodates all power supply cables."

"As for the reference-design (made by AMD) graphics card, AMD says that these cards are not available in retail, but should be over the coming weeks, and will have a revised design without the flaw.

AMD didn't spell out a definite timeline, and so "the coming weeks" could even mean months (the company isn't sure). The way we interpret the statement is that the current batch with the bad backplate design will not make it to market, not now, not in the coming weeks or after that."

Read the FULL article here on TechPowerUp:

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think the design looks nice enough, but the actual cooling performance was pretty lackluster.
GN tear down shows only 4 heat pipes. He did comment that unlike Nvidia, AMD not trying to compete with AIB and hence they just make a heatsink that does the job. Its possible 3rd party cards might have more heatpipes and they will have better coolers. I don't know how many the stock 7900xt had but mine has 8 heatpipes so its possible.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Not as cute as the Yeston Radeon RX 580 Cute Pet though. ;)
mqdefault.jpg

As a staunch Yeston user (6800XT user), I wholeheartedly agree.

There has been an UPDATE. AMD Confirms: RX 7600 Reference Cards in Retail will Not Have Power Connector Flaw.

It seems that TPU got an official confirmation and answer from AMD. To quote the author:

"We are very pleased with the volume of Radeon RX 7600 cards available globally from our AIB partners. We expect RX 7600 reference design cards to be available over the coming weeks with a design that accommodates all power supply cables."

"As for the reference-design (made by AMD) graphics card, AMD says that these cards are not available in retail, but should be over the coming weeks, and will have a revised design without the flaw.

AMD didn't spell out a definite timeline, and so "the coming weeks" could even mean months (the company isn't sure). The way we interpret the statement is that the current batch with the bad backplate design will not make it to market, not now, not in the coming weeks or after that."

Read the FULL article here on TechPowerUp:

Good to know, while I'm not in the market for a new GPU, glad to know they've fixed it.

As a staunch Yeston user (6800XT user), I wholeheartedly agree.
Yeah, I saw the "Sakura Hitomi" in your sig and thought "Oh hell yeah! Yestons are damn cool-looking cards!" and then I remembered the Cute Pet. Yeston's got some damn fine creativity in their designs.
Good to know, while I'm not in the market for a new GPU, glad to know they've fixed it.
Yeah, I honestly felt like I was in...
Twilight_zone_2019_logo.jpg