News AMD's RX 7900 XTX Matches an RTX 4090, While Using 700W of Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ... folks you would never, under any circumstance, try to air cool 700w worth of thermal energy in such a small volume. The only real solution would have to use a thermal transport made of liquid along with massive radiators. The sound / noise energy generated from a rotating fan goes up exponentially with it's rotation rate not volume of air. A small 20mm fan spinning at 7000rpm will general more noise energy then a 120mm fan spinning at 2000rpm even though that larger fan is pushing far more air volume. GPU coolers sound loud because there isn't a whole lot of space and the only real option is to just push a ton of air with a single fast spinning fan. Compare that to something like a 360mm radiator with 3 120mm fans spinning at 1500~2000rpm.
My entire home setup involves a custom loop that cools both the CPU and GPU with a lower 360mm radiator and an upper 120mm radiator. Can get high performance without any noise.

There's still hope for AMD, if Nvidia in hubris will go back to Samsung in order to save some dollars maybe they'll manage to compete again next time. Or the time after that. Never lose hope, Lisa!
As long as Sasa Marinkovic is the director of gaming marketing, there is no hope. The man's a complete tool.
Yeah but the article says that the 7900xtx scores 10% higher than some 4090 models so if we decrease clocks by 10% (from 3.3ghz to 3.0 ghz) then the voltage needed would decrease significantly (due to bringing the gpu core down the voltage -frequency curve toward the efficient area of the curve. I would guesstimate that the 7900xtx would need 500-550 watts in this case which is still worse than 4090 but not outrageous like 700 watts.
You make a good point. Power use scales exponentially, not linearly. That's why running Zen4 CPUs in Eco Mode significantly reduces power use, but not performance.
I know that MLID guy gets a fair bit of hate, but what about Jim at AdoredTV?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGulh89U4ow
I've had the good fortune of getting to know Jim personally. He is, in my opinion, the greatest investigative tech journalist since Charlie Demerjian. Jim knows his stuff and often uses historical trends to demonstrate how and why he makes his predictions. Also, when he's wrong (which is almost never), he's the first one to admit it. That man earned my respect years ago and that respect has never been shaken by anything that he has done. If anything, it has only deepened.
They could've done a 4090 competitor, but chose not to? :unsure:
At 700W, now we know why. :confused:
Yeah, it's more like showcasing it's doable, not a real retail card.
I guess it could work with some garden hose sized watercooling setup.
but that's likely the reason why AMD did not go for 4090 competitors.
at full unlocked die, it would likely eat ~550W, and stil lget slapped in RT.
I don't think that it would get slapped in RT. I think that it would lose in RT to the RTX 4090 but that doesn't mean that it would get "slapped". People seem to forget that the Radeon RX 7900 XTX has about the same RT performance as the RTX 3090 Ti, not exactly a slouch when it comes to RT performance.

We can use math to guesstimate what the RT performance would be based on current relative performance with the RTX 4090:
relative-performance_3840-2160.png

So, the RX 7900 XT increased its performance by 22%.
relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

If we increase RT performance by 22% as well, the RTX 4090's lead would decrease from 55% to 27%. The RX 7900 XTX would still lose, sure, but it would also be 5% faster than the RTX 4080 in RT. If that's your definition of being slapped, then every card that isn't the RTX 4090 gets slapped, only harder.

I'm not saying that this is realistic at all. Almost doubling the power consumption for only 22% more performance is just stupid. :LOL:

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
I dont like where the GPU technology is heading ... every generation is becoming more and more power hungry. They need to focus their research on low power . Once Steve Jobs opened Intel eyes when he made the first MAC AIR and asked Intel to produce a special CPU for him. and thats the reason Apple Today left Intel and made their own CPU .. I predict that in time Apple will start making their own dedicated GPU for teir high end workstation .and they will crush Nvidia and AMD. I give it 10 years from now.
Sure maybe, but you'll have to buy into that whole ecosystem, shift all your software that isnt compatible, shift any procedures that worked in windows or linux, and never be able to upgrade or truly own the hardware. They could totally beat both of them in the future, but it will come with a ton of strings, likely wont be faster in everything because Apple likes to arbitrarily cut support for things, and many companies likely wont think those changes are worth it. Unless apple decides to do an about face on many of their policies and stances, neither Nvidia or AMD are going anywhere, and I dont know why you would ever want to live in an apple only world, it would look very much like their 1984 commercial, but apple would be the overlord.

Sure maybe, but you'll have to buy into that whole ecosystem, shift all your software that isnt compatible, shift any procedures that worked in windows or linux, and never be able to upgrade or truly own the hardware. They could totally beat both of them in the future, but it will come with a ton of strings, likely wont be faster in everything because Apple likes to arbitrarily cut support for things, and many companies likely wont think those changes are worth it. Unless apple decides to do an about face on many of their policies and stances, neither Nvidia or AMD are going anywhere, and I dont know why you would ever want to live in an apple only world, it would look very much like their 1984 commercial, but apple would be the overlord.
In my opinion the true flex play for Apple would be to buy Nvidia and use them to design their ideas of a GPU.

Reactions: artk2219
Neat - How long can it run at that power level? I mean I can run my RTX 4090 at RT X 4090 performance levels all day long :)
Well they said it was a custom liquid-cooling loop, not LN2. In theory, it could keep going, but I doubt its VRM can handle it long term. Still, I bet they could make one robust enough to make a 7950 XTX. I assume AMD didn't though, in the first place, because of reliability.

I dont like where the GPU technology is heading ... every generation is becoming more and more power hungry. They need to focus their research on low power . Once Steve Jobs opened Intel eyes when he made the first MAC AIR and asked Intel to produce a special CPU for him. and thats the reason Apple Today left Intel and made their own CPU .. I predict that in time Apple will start making their own dedicated GPU for teir high end workstation .and they will crush Nvidia and AMD. I give it 10 years from now.
While I don't agree with the Apple statements...
GPUs are heading in a really weird direction--no midrange offerings and everything is power hungry. It's a complete departure from AMD's 400 and 500 series, which went for volume sales. It's a bizarre choice too because so many users sat on lousy graphics cards for 5 years and all of them would buy a sub-$400 card if it was actually available.

There's still hope for AMD, if Nvidia in hubris will go back to Samsung in order to save some dollars maybe they'll manage to compete again next time. Or the time after that. Never lose hope, Lisa!
"Still hope"? Nobody is selling a graphics card I'd consider purchasing anyways, so it's all a pretty moot point. It's like if all GM sold was Corvettes and Hummers.

zx128k

Reputable
700 watts is a lot of power for VRMs designed to run at far low power levels. Imagine gaming at 700 watts GPU power draw. This is the same reason a 4090 sucks, the unlocked to 1000 watts BIOS version.

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Well "Humor is subjective" and depends on the crowd too. There's plenty of stuff that would be funny with some groups of friends, but not with others, or not with my parents. If something is clever enough, it can usually be funny while still being very offensive. But if it's just lazy and offensive, then that's probably less about humor and more about exclusivity.

That said, I now find myself curious how this thing does with Crysis. I kind of wish it were still used as a benchmark for DX9 Raster performance.

Sidenote: These "Reaction Score" and "Points" on the profile really bug me. I'd probably have 1000+ Reaction and 60,000 points if they did them and best answers the same in 2010.
Absolutely it's subjective, and we should remember to remain tolerant of those who find things funny that we do not. For instance, farts are still amusing at 53 :)

Crysis was always amusing - technically. Great game at the time - but then you realise it's single threaded. Reminds me of my early days in software development where my peers would try to do all their work on single threads - and doing some bizarre things to make their software appear multi-threaded.

All activity points and "trophies" bug me. What's with the constant desire for confirmation? This is why I loathe(d) things like Steam, and other gaming systems that present you with all your achievements - they sucked in WoW, Battlefield 2, Final Fantasy XIV etc. etc. Boring! :)

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Yeah but the article says that the 7900xtx scores 10% higher than some 4090 models so if we decrease clocks by 10% (from 3.3ghz to 3.0 ghz) then the voltage needed would decrease significantly (due to bringing the gpu core down the voltage -frequency curve toward the efficient area of the curve. I would guesstimate that the 7900xtx would need 500-550 watts in this case which is still worse than 4090 but not outrageous like 700 watts.
And Nvidia could reply with something like the rumoured 4090Ti, regaining the performance crown at the same/similar power envelope. Honestly I don't see the point, RDNA3 isn't just as efficient as Ada Lovelace, AMD accepted it when they release their flagship, but some fans still cannot do it.

TheAlmightyProo

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Yup been old for 20 years now and lost its funny along time ago.

now comes across as try hard :)

Nm only a year after Crysis launched the question was no longer 'can it run Crysis?' but 'how well...?'
Iirc the main issue to any of that was just one scene/level of the game being an outlier? Tbh I couldn't say, probably either never got that far or was late enough that the section in question was no longer so demanding. I have to admit I tried Crysis late (2-3 years ago) and it didn't stand up to much then, yes, even taking into account being an older game etc... just an average shooter tbh/imo etc. I dunno, I guess I missed the hype train but I do that. I mean, I have an AMD GPU after all and I keep getting told by my superiors that they're the worst, contrary to my experience so...

Thing is, standards have changed. They're now better/higher (apparently lol) The question should be one that fits 2023 rather than the noughties. Something more like 'can it run Jedi Survivor?'
Answer: Nothing can, not even whatever wonder machines the devs (allegedly) tested and cleared it ok for release on...

Reactions: Order 66
Crysis 1 came out in fall 2007. The original Far Cry came out in the first half of 2004 and could actually run fairly well on newer GPUs of the the time.
And Nvidia brought forth the first 700.00 class video card that began the climb toward 1,800.00 gpus and I was fortunate enough to be.able.to grab one of them, the EVGA 8800GTX ACS3 768mb gpu! I was able to proudly play Crysis ans smirk when I saw that ever famous " but can it play crysis" comment, lol! Later I grabbed 2 more and set up a 3 way SLI and played until the sweat running down my right calf where the pc sat distracted me. Those were the days...

Reactions: Order 66
The Nintendo Switch can run Crysis (and actually run it, not through some cloud service). So unless we're talking about a Raspberry Pi 3 here, it's not really amusing of a question anymore.
They did remaster Crysis recently and made it nearly impossible to run at 60 fps again, though, it is not the original 07 version of the game, its still 'Crysis.'

Status
Not open for further replies.