News AMD's Ryzen 5 5600X Zen 3 CPU Hits New Low at $200

Jimbojan

Distinguished
May 17, 2017
If it reduced to $150, then AMD's gross margin will be in high 30% range. that is, AMD's revenue to go down and profit will be negative.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
hell of a cpu for only $200

if you're using an older ryzen and have a 400 series board or better, this is as good of an upgrade as it gets on the platform. the other models are coming down fast as well. won't be long as the 5800x will be $300, 5900x will be $400 and hopefully the 5950x drops to $500

and of course over more time it will get even lower based on the older gen ryzen prices and how they drop

If you're looking to go long on Socket AM4 there's no reason to buy a middling CPU, go with the 5800X or above, and there's no reason to buy it right now, wait for the price to drop. If you're looking to upgrade to Socket AM5 in the next year, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade your current CPU. Realistically the only people who should be looking at the 5600X and other mid rage, and even low end, CPUs at this time are people who -must- replace their CPU due to failure and don't want to spend too much.

Reactions: thisisaname

Oli Baba

Reputable
Mar 7, 2020
In fact, this is a very nice pick for a new system.

Don't fall for the "future proof" aspect of a new socket. I was among the early adopters of the AM4 platform and had to switch mainboards twice on my way from Ryzen 1600 to 5600X, because either the new CPUs were not supported or some of the functionality like PCIe 4.0 was missing.

Your AM5 board will not last you several generations of CPUs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i always laugh at folks who use "future proof" or other similar words. there is not such thing. there's always something new just around the corner and folks love to proclaim "wait for the new __, and it will last forever. buy this now and it'll be dead/obsolete/useless/a paperweight/worthless in a month!!"

lol such nonsense

InvalidError

Titan
Don't fall for the "future proof" aspect of a new socket. I was among the early adopters of the AM4 platform and had to switch mainboards twice on my way from Ryzen 1600 to 5600X, because either the new CPUs were not supported or some of the functionality like PCIe 4.0 was missing.
Yup, and this is exactly why I really don't mind that Intel's motherboards are only compatible for 1-2 generations. When I build a system, I slap on a CPU powerful enough to serve for the board's useful life and that is the end of that. I haven't upgraded CPUs on one of my motherboards in 20 years as by the time I want a new CPU (4+ years), I want/need new everything else anyway.

If you're looking to go long on Socket AM4 there's no reason to buy a middling CPU, go with the 5800X or above, and there's no reason to buy it right now, wait for the price to drop. If you're looking to upgrade to Socket AM5 in the next year, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade your current CPU. Realistically the only people who should be looking at the 5600X and other mid rage, and even low end, CPUs at this time are people who -must- replace their CPU due to failure and don't want to spend too much.
If you intend to upgrade to a new CPU down the line, neither the current motherboards from AMD or Intel will support the latest processors at that point. Intel will almost certainly be requiring new, incompatible motherboards for the CPUs they release next year, and I doubt this year's Raptor Lake processors will be enough of an upgrade over existing models to make an upgrade worth considering. And really, how many people even upgrade the CPUs in their systems, outside a minority of tech enthusiasts?

And it's hardly like 6-core, 12-thread CPUs are showing signs of struggling at this point, either in games or applications, outside of some niche usage scenarios. Arguably, both the "mid-range" models from AMD and Intel are viable options right now, and will likely remain rather capable in demanding tasks like games for years to come. It's questionable whether AM5 will even be suitable for mid-range systems when it first launches (likely more than half a year away), since DDR5 is a terrible value right now, and pricing may not improve much by then. We may see AMD hold out on launching mid-range AM5 processors and motherboard chipsets until some time later. They might keep AM4 as their current socket for mid-range to lower-end builds alongside AM5 for a while, at least until DDR5 pricing gets competitive.

Of course, current GPU pricing is a much better reason to hold off on building a new system right now, at least for those requiring dedicated graphics. The long-term upgrade-ability of motherboards is far less of a concern for a value-conscious buyer than the fact that graphics cards are priced hundreds of dollars over MSRP.

Hence why I didn't use the term "future proof", but instead "going long".

PCIe 4.0, multiple PCIe 4 NVMe slots, integrated WiFi 6 and 2.5g ethernet, and 8 or 16 Zen 3 CPU cores is much better equipped for the next few years than an Intel 9900K based system was 4 years ago, and that system is still plenty fast for UHD60 or QHD120, and a GPU with those capabilities (3080 FE or higher) is still years away for most people, and even faster for those people who use rendering resolution reduction and upscaling settings.

For the first time in a long time, and I can say this as a user of exclusively AMD CPUs since 2004, AMD actually has a platform with a long lifespan ahead of it, and for anyone expecting 4+ years of use out of it, I wouldn't for a second suggest they spend $120 less on a 5600X than a 5800X the same way I wouldn't recommend anyone looking for multiple years out of a cell phone get a Galaxy A or Pixel A series instead of the Galaxy S or Pixel non-A, it's a small amount of money that pays off in the long run.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Maybe for un upgrade from first or second ryzen gen. Most people will still have a bottleneck in the graphics card.
For a new system, intel system with 12400, is a much better way.

Reactions: Why_Me

micheal_15

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2016
I wouldn't buy this from Newegg. It will essentially arrive with either bent pins (as is a return item where a Newegg employee broke it trying to install for a customer) or they'll claim retroactively that it was "open box" and has zero RMA or warranty.

They did it to 10s of thousands of customers. They did it to GamersNexus. They promised to stop doing it.

They bareface lied on video and haven't changed a thing. Bunch of scammers basically.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sure is sad what newegg has become, used to be my go to site but now i am a bit more careful.

but i highly doubt they did it 10's of thousands of times. lol, that's just silly....gamers nexus is not 10's of thousands of customers... lol

it clearly happened many times but no reason to take it to laughable extremes like that