News AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPU Refresh May Be Closer Than We Think

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Hmm... I have to say i am not impressed at all. The 3000 series XT simply increase boost clocks by a paltry 100-200mhz over the X series. But price is quite different. XT does not oc better than X series as well.

If amd could do 5ghz all core oc, it will be awesome. But i am pretty sure its not going to happen.

Samipini

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Hmm... I have to say i am not impressed at all. The 3000 series XT simply increase boost clocks by a paltry 100-200mhz over the X series. But price is quite different. XT does not oc better than X series as well.

If amd could do 5ghz all core oc, it will be awesome. But i am pretty sure its not going to happen.
Really, all AMD needs to do is raise clock speeds without raising the price, even better, amd might lower the prices of x cpus. Ofc AMD might omit their stock cooler from xt cpu’s but most people who buy the xt will need their own cooler anyway

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Really, all AMD needs to do is raise clock speeds without raising the price, even better, amd might lower the prices of x cpus. Ofc AMD might omit their stock cooler from xt cpu’s but most people who buy the xt will need their own cooler anyway

Yes. If they can raise clocks without raising price, that would be great.

The obsession with 5 GHz as almost a minimum defacto useful clock speed is strong....; has been for years.

As both Intel and AMD have each proven over the last decade....clock speed is not everything.

Leave it to AMD to think it can tweak clock speeds up 100 MHz, a few percent at best, yet charge a 20% surcharge....

<best Arnold voice> "Capitalism...!"

It depends on the part. 3600 XT was noticeably better than early 3600X's while 3700/3800 was literally no gain.
either binning or later 3600X you've meet was already same chip as 3600XT's.
I think XT was better than first series, but later on it was almost identical.

jpe1701

Honorable
Personally I believe the only reason we didn't see non x skus this time around was the shortage. Unless Lisa Su all of a sudden magically turned into a terrible business person that is. Maybe these xt rumblings are a way to reintroduce Ryzen 5000 with more value oriented skus, at least one can hope.

ginthegit

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 15, 2012

AMD dont work off that ethos. They have their moderate OC, but focus on real solutions HW wise and not gimicks or cheats (like compiler hampering) to get a Ladder up to the top.

But your point is well made, extra 200Mhz for cost is pathetic

hannibal

Distinguished
Just like last time. XT would be just a binning job. In the article it was said that most normal 5950x allready get to 5ghz. In the future only xt models will be higher clocked and the not so good will stay on 5950x bin.
Hard to see what amd do… either amd increase xt above x in price, or xt takes x models prising gets some degrease. Depends on what Intel do.

ddcservices

Honorable
Oct 12, 2017
What many(or even most) do not seem to understand, is that having multiple SKUs that are only different due to clock speed shows that not all chips are able to hit the target clock speed of the top model. AMD using 8 cores per CCD means that multiples of 6 or 8 are going to be used for the core count. If all of them clock to the target for the current X chips, then why release slower versions? OEMs are looking for lower priced chips, so THEY are the ones that will scoop up the chips that fail to clock as high.

jwmillz

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017

I don't really see the point of them doing this at all when they can't even supply the chips they already have. Even if it is just a tweak of existing product lines, there aren't any you can really buy anyway. I feel like it renders the whole idea moot.