News AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs Get Major Price Cuts Up To 25 Percent

Next gen Apu's will get ddr5 and rdna2 which will greatly improve speed. Rumor is zen 4 will have iGPU built in on most of its lineup. It will be interesting to see if they have a iGPU focused lineup if the dGPU shortage continues.

A lot of zen 4's multi core improvements will be based upon keeping those cores fed with data. DDR4 support will likely hamper multi core performance significantly.

If you have to buy a NEW system now, Alder lake is my rec. If you want to upgrade from anything previous AMD 5000 series with a 500 series motherboard, then buy an AMD 5000 series. Otherwise I would hold. Prices will continue to crash as their life is limited.

Reactions: artk2219

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, this was inevitable when the reviews were putting the 5600X's performance about equal to the i5-12400.

Bizarrely, I'm still seeing prices for the Ryzen 3000 series sometimes being equal to or higher than their 5000 successors. What the crap is the deal with that?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Lack of meaningful competition allowed AMD to jack up prices for Zen 3. Now that Intel is back from its coma, AMD has to revisit its prices. Competition at work for a change.
This is always going to be the case no matter its AMD or Intel in the forefront. The one who dominates performance will dominate the pricing as well. Intel was the underdog at the start of 2021, which is why it made sense that they try to undermine competition by offering a lower price. If we see the same trend in the next generation CPUs, then chances that Intel won’t remain that generous like they have been doing in the past before AMD caught up with them.

Reactions: valreesio
This is always going to be the case no matter its AMD or Intel in the forefront. The one who dominates performance will dominate the pricing as well. Intel was the underdog at the start of 2021, which is why it made sense that they try to undermine competition by offering a lower price. If we see the same trend in the next generation CPUs, then chances that Intel won’t remain that generous like they have been doing in the past before AMD caught up with them.

For people like us who helped save AMD from the ashes by buying Zen, it's more about Value. However AMD is no longer on the brink of bankruptcy and they are eyeing up much more profitable server market. At this price point it's not only about performance : price, but TCO, form factor, and reliability.

But I will agree with you: Competition is a good thing, and future CPU prices will remain more in check for the DIY market as Intel and AMD leapfrog. Intel will become more expensive if they lead performance, but most of the home market still looks to value. So they can't get too egregiously out of line. Same with AMD.

AMD's long term plane will likely 1) emphasize low power for laptops to maximize OEM orders. 2) Sell a small portion of desktop chips to enthusiast while 3) focusing on EPYC lower power/core + core count for big money.

GPU allocation will be dependent on crypto prices. But AMD will without a doubt be asking for more money per GPU chipset. Performance : Price will stagnate initially. Long term will depend on how crypto goes ~six months out from launch. (This is when supply catches up with launch demand for non crypto based market. Maybe slightly longer as many standard market purchasers have balked at current gen pricing) This is the Kohl's pricing model. However for prices to stay high, ETH has to make a MASSIVE resurgence given the difficulty bomb in creating new keys. Validating keys will not be part of the money return stream with POS. Crypto demand is falling off a cliff and it has to stay that way, with ETH converting to POS and a difficulty bomb

All this goes off the rails though if China invades Taiwan, which is a real possibility. Mark my words, China is watching very closely how we handle Ukraine. AMD better have contingency plans and mask ready to go for Samsung in SK.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Low supply probably.
Yup, happens with lots of out-of-production parts that are still in relatively high demand in the repair ecosystem, usually when companies need to keep systems running as-is because they had to fine-tune stuff for an exact specific system and doesn't want to have to troubleshoot all of the quirks that may appear using different hardware or go through the trouble of contacting support for every piece of node-locked software they use to get licenses migrated to new hardware.

Yup, happens with lots of out-of-production parts that are still in relatively high demand in the repair ecosystem, usually when companies need to keep systems running as-is because they had to fine-tune stuff for an exact specific system and doesn't want to have to troubleshoot all of the quirks that may appear using different hardware or go through the trouble of contacting support for every piece of node-locked software they use to get licenses migrated to new hardware.

A lot of code these days uses code like for license keys. Switch the CPU, you lose the serial #. There's also support for these functions in many javascript libraries. So in other words kiddies, don't use your computer for illegal activities. Eventually the CPU link will be made back to you.

C#:
string cpuInfo = string.Empty;
    ManagementClass mc = new ManagementClass("win32_processor");
    ManagementObjectCollection moc = mc.GetInstances();

foreach (ManagementObject mo in moc)
    {
         cpuInfo = mo.Properties["processorID"].Value.ToString();
         break;
    }

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
these prices should of been day1 prices; now we have choice with Intel platform + upgrade path to 13th gen I doubt these will generate much interest

old cpu, dead platform; if AMD really want to move stock I think they need to lower the price more

5950x is the only one I'm interested in, maybe another 100$ off I will buy it

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
This has been one of the best parts about AMD. In the past, Intel rarely had sales on CPUs (though that changed around when the Ryzen 5000 started to kick off), but AMD did.

However, this time, I paid full price for the AMD CPU. I don't regret it

Reactions: Makaveli

g-unit1111

Titan
This has been one of the best parts about AMD. In the past, Intel rarely had sales on CPUs (though that changed around when the Ryzen 5000 started to kick off), but AMD did.

However, this time, I paid full price for the AMD CPU. I don't regret it

That's exactly why I switched because of price and upgradeability factor. In the past I'd have to build an entirely new system, now all I have to do is update the BIOS on my motherboard and swap out the CPU and I'm done. I might upgrade my RAM too if the price is right.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
$230 for a 5600X? Time to upgrade!

$225 from NewEgg, $230 from Amazon and Best Buy...

And if you're lucky enough to be close to a MicroCenter for in-store purchase, and you're a new customer (or have a family member or friend willing to be the new customer), the $50 off for new customers page seems to still be active. That'll put you at $180 for the 5600X or $250 for the 5800X.

Reactions: valreesio

g-unit1111

Titan
$225 from NewEgg, $230 from Amazon and Best Buy...

And if you're lucky enough to be close to a MicroCenter for in-store purchase, and you're a new customer (or have a family member or friend willing to be the new customer), the $50 off for new customers page seems to still be active. That'll put you at $180 for the 5600X or $250 for the 5800X.

The So Cal Micro Center is like a 20 minute drive from my house, I have bought tons of stuff there so I definitely wouldn't be a new customer. But they're selling the 5600X for $229 and the 5800X for $299. I'll be picking up a 5800x (upgrading from a 2600) for sure when they come back in stock and probably some 32GB DDR4-3600 RAM to go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

Makaveli

Splendid
The So Cal Micro Center is like a 20 minute drive from my house, I have bought tons of stuff there so I definitely wouldn't be a new customer. But they're selling the 5600X for $229 and the 5800X for $299. I'll be picking up a 5800x (upgrading from a 2600) for sure when they come back in stock and probably some 32GB DDR4-3600 RAM to go with it.

This is the way.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
This is why competition is needed. When Intel had nothing to compete with AMD, the prices went north by a big margin. 5600x initial pricing was way higher than 3600x. But now with Alderlake, AMD has no choice but to lower its prices....

Be it AMD or Intel, both companies are here to make money, not do charity work. Thats why we need competition to keep prices in check.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
I see the price reductions as both a normal trend and also possibly to make space for any final refined CPUs, like the 5800X3D, and a theoretical 5900X3D and 5950X3D. They did it with the 3000 series XT variants after all, but this time around, the X3D variant(s) would actually be pretty competitive on a "budget" (compared to new mobo + DDR5).

artk2219

Distinguished

Also most people with an X370 or B350 board are limited to the 3000 series as the highest they can go. That is unless you have one of the few 3 series boards that actually has updated firmware for the 5000 series.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
This is why competition is needed. When Intel had nothing to compete with AMD, the prices went north by a big margin.
No, they didn't.

Sandy Bridge i7-2700k - $332 (October 2011)
Ivy Bridge i7-3770k - $332
Haswell i7-4790k - $339
Broadwell - let's pretend these didn't exist, because they didn't
Skylake - i7-6700k - $339
Kaby Lake i7-7700k - $339 (January 2017)

Ryzen Zen 1 was released in March 2017.

Zero competition from AMD this entire stretch. Over five years, and 6 generations, the mainstream top end price increased $7 (2%).

Reactions: Why_Me