News AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X Is Now Available Below MSRP

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Some competition is good. Seems like better availability and Rocket Lake/ cheaper Comet Lake may have pushed AMD to start lowering prices. But I doubt you will see drastic drop in prices now that the shortage still persists. The moment prices go down, demand should pick up again.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Until it is less than a 10850k @ $379. it cost too much.
The cost of a i9 10850K looks great in silo. But when you consider the fact that you will need a high end board to overclock or maintain a high level of performance without throttling, it is not cheap at all. On the other hand, you can pair a R7 5800X with even a budget A520 board and it works in most cases.

Reactions: Krotow and Jim90

InvalidError

Titan
Some competition is good. Seems like better availability and Rocket Lake/ cheaper Comet Lake may have pushed AMD to start lowering prices.
There is no "AMD lowering prices" here, at least not yet. The drops to MSRP are just supply catching up with demand so retailers and scalpers can't price-gouge people anymore. Retailers have headroom to drop prices some more before they need AMD to lower pricing from its end of the supply chain and AMD won't be doing that until it makes more chips than it can sell at current prices.

And even once AMD's Zen 3 chiplet supply gets ahead of demand, AMD could decide to warehouse the excess instead of reducing prices so it can use the inventory to buffer demand while it shifts wafers from Zen 3 to Navi 2x, PS5, XBS-XS, 5000-series APUs, etc.

I wouldn't expect official pricing to drop below MSRP any time soon, AMD currently has far too many other things it can divert excess wafers to.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
$429 at Microcenter if you happen to have one within driving distance.
My local store has had 5600X and 5800X in pretty consistently for the last few weeks. However I’ve not caught a 5900X in stock, but talking to the people back in BYOP they do trickle in. They just go as quickly as they come in. I’ve yet to hear of a 5950X coming in since launch times.
Which sucks since I’m currently on a 3700X that I got last year for $259.99. I want to pass that one down to rebuild and older system with a decent discrete card already. Just can’t really justify going up to just a 5800X when a 5900X is just a bit more.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Until it is less than a 10850k @ $379. it cost too much.

I find 10th gen Intel to be quite a value considering performance and price. It would be unfair not to also note that 5xxx Ryzen and 11xxx Intel completely kick it's (butt) in IPC.

The other aspect that is poignant here and was a major contributor to my recent purchase is the unavailability of ANY suitable graphics solution for these powerful Ryzen chips. If you don't have a GPU it's a paperweight. If you don't have a GOOD GPU it's being hampered terribly.
As much a fan of Ryzen as I am and have been up to this point, the mining craze is almost to the point of creating an irrelevance.

InvalidError

Titan
I find 10th gen Intel to be quite a value considering performance and price.
At the lower end, I'd happily pay the ~$20 premium to get 4.0x16 and NVMe 4.0x4.

It may not be relevant to enthusiasts rocking GPUs with 8-24GB of VRAM but for more budget-minded people who aren't particularly comfortable with the idea of spending $300+ on a 4GB GPU or $600+ for anything higher, 4.0x16 will be very much needed to make 4GB GPUs workable.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
At the lower end, I'd happily pay the ~$20 premium to get 4.0x16 and NVMe 4.0x4.

It may not be relevant to enthusiasts rocking GPUs with 8-24GB of VRAM but for more budget-minded people who aren't particularly comfortable with the idea of spending $300+ on a 4GB GPU or $600+ for anything higher, 4.0x16 will be very much needed to make 4GB GPUs workable.

In the (few) GPU based reviews I have watched on this indicated that at this point it's not a big deal. I completely agree with another statement regarding storage that if you weren't aware of/and had a specific use case for (gen)4 storage that you probably don't need it.
I feel like it's something that will come into it's own in the future, and thus why I opted to go 11th gen Z590 this round of "upgrade" read as buying toys....lol

InvalidError

Titan
In the (few) GPU based reviews I have watched on this indicated that at this point it's not a big deal.
Check out comparisons of the 4GB vs 8GB RX5500 on 4.0x4 vs 3.0x8, 4.0x16 will be a big deal for 4GB GPUs as it allows them to mostly close the gap with their 8GB counterparts. AMD making the RX5500 x8-only was a horrible mistake.

It may not have been a big deal when 4GB vs 8GB models were only $40 apart on MSRP, just ignore the 4GB models and get a 8GB one, but it is now that they are $300 apart in street pricing.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Check out comparisons of the 4GB vs 8GB RX5500 on 4.0x4 vs 3.0x8, 4.0x16 will be a big deal for 4GB GPUs as it allows them to mostly close the gap with their 8GB counterparts. AMD making the RX5500 x8-only was a horrible mistake.

It may not have been a big deal when 4GB vs 8GB models were only $40 apart on MSRP, just ignore the 4GB models and get a 8GB one, but it is now that they are $300 apart in street pricing.

Admittedly, not until very recently were the reviewers even discussing "low end" GPU with the available CPU stack. I would imagine it would be worth my viewing and edification.
Thx

No doubt demand in IT parts market begin to sunk due to lack of GPUs (more precise - due to obscene triplicated GPU prices). Wish that GTX 1xxx and above or RX 5xxx and above prices would do similar stunt... nah, miners are still high.